Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3125701 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #9480 on: July 22, 2007, 04:23:25 pm »

and here is chapter 26:

http://tcreader.livejournal.com/25975.html  "Unofficial Investigation"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9481 on: July 22, 2007, 06:13:59 pm »

Looking for Answers chapter 27:  "Friction"

http://tcreader.livejournal.com/26149.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline frantic65

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Tell me what you want, boy."
« Reply #9482 on: July 23, 2007, 11:02:07 pm »
Hi,
I'm late to the party, but it seems like pictures may have been posted giving the reader an idea of what some of the main characters look like. Could someone repost them if possible?? There's a hell of a lot of pages to go through if I'm wrong about it. Thank you.

I know these are reworked from the originals, which I never read, so I may not be adding anything new, but I am just so intrigued by the dynamics Ellery's bad back adds to the entire story. Ellery's insecurities about whether Colson will continue to be with him if he is unable to satisfy him sexually is heart breaking, especially since his injuries were pretty much self-inflicted, and Colson's guilt at thinking every twinge Ellery feels is his fault just makes me want to give him a big hug.

I also enjoy how the fringe characters keep getting more complex & I'm guessing some of them will get their moments in the spotlight as the storyline progresses.

I'm really just having a great time reading this-thanks for giving these stories a second chance & me a first chance to read them!!

Fran
You're the love of my life
And the breath in my prayers
Take my hand, lead me there

I can't forget the taste of your mouth
From your lips the heavens pour out
I can't forget when we are one
With you alone I am free

~~Santana~~Love of My Life

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9483 on: July 24, 2007, 03:10:17 am »

yes there is a gallery, with many of the pictures of the "fringe characters" still on there. Many of the photo manips depicting Heath have been taken down, for reasons of discretion.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,3719.0.html

And don't worry about being late to the party, Fran - outside the fan readers of the first edition of the tale, there are quite a few new readers, and a great number of "re-readers!"

And yes, many if not post of the characters who show up in "Looking for Answers" and "A Second Chance" are featured further on in follow-on tales.  Stick with it through the edits, and I'll try to roll them out in good time because they are all written!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9484 on: July 24, 2007, 07:48:59 am »
Hey Fran, welcome! Glad to have you here!

Louise directed you to the gallery which has some great pictures, recipes, picture puzzle games, who knows what else. Enjoy and enjoy the story as we roll it out...

Leslie
Louise's "partner in crime" as well as moderator for the writing boards
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline frantic65

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9485 on: July 24, 2007, 09:12:50 am »
Thank you Louise for the link to the pix gallery. My imagination did not do justice to any of the characters, lord help me!

Thanks for the warm welcome Leslie. I'm delvalmom at EJ/LJ & DC but for some reason used a different user name when I signed up here. Not sure what I was thinking.

Anyway, looking forward to more good reading. Thank you again.

Fran

With you alone I am free

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9486 on: July 24, 2007, 01:22:14 pm »
Hi Fran - nice to meet you and it's great to have you here!  :)  I'm a re-re-re-re-reader myself, but there's really no such thing as being late to the party.  These stories are addictive, aren't they? 

I like your comment about the role that Ellery's back injury plays in the story - very insightful and so true.  Underneath all the bravado and cockiness, Ellery is a scared little boy looking for true love.  And, yeah, I want to hug Colson, too.  And be prepared to get very attached to many of the fringe characters - many of whom don't remain out on the fringes for very long!  As for the characters getting more complex - well.........just wait!   :laugh:

You're in for a great ride that just keeps getting better and better.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline frantic65

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9487 on: July 24, 2007, 02:37:42 pm »
Hi Marie,
Nice to meet you too! I think I need a re-read of "Taking Chances" already because I devoured it rather quickly & probably need a slower look at it.

I've read Louise's summaries for the other books in the chronicles & they all sound so great, but I will have to be patient & read them as they are revised.  :-\

It's all good though. I'm sure we'll be chatting again soon!

Fran

With you alone I am free

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9488 on: July 27, 2007, 12:28:30 pm »
I made my first post at Bettermost on this thread on December 4, 2006, so I thought it only fitting that I make my 1,000th post here, too.   :)  (and thanks to Marleen for bringing my attention to the fact that I was at 999!)

Thanks for starting this thread, Leslie!  And, of course, my heartfelt thanks to you, Louise, for the enjoyment you've given me - and continue to give me - with your stories.  You are one-of-a-kind - and I mean that in the best way possible. 

:-*
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9489 on: July 27, 2007, 12:32:07 pm »
Oh, thank you, Marie, and congratulations on reaching 1000 posts! Dance on over to the 1000 posts club where someone, ie me, is waiting to teach you the sekrit handshake!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!