Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3170071 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #6230 on: November 04, 2006, 01:48:50 pm »
all very good points too, Natali.

I am working on the next chapter, the aftermath, and sitting all alooooone in chat!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6231 on: November 04, 2006, 01:54:51 pm »
SPOILERS

I think Ennis is reacting to a series of events that have been happening to him since he set a foot in Laramie, especially the kidnapping. In chapter 56 Ellery realizes the following:

To this we have to add the confrontation with Bunny and Julia, and especially the trauma he experienced after being taken by his own father to see the corpse of a dead gay rancher. IMO, Larry Esteban is lucky to be alive.

Yep very well put there. What your saying is, that in effect, Ennis has been a big powder keg for years, with all this pent up rage just waiting to be unleashed. Unfortunatly, this kid semed to bear the brunt of it. Your right, he is VERY lucky to be alive. But how to keep that rage under control? How to channel it? Yelling at him, will IMHO only make matters worse. He,ll end up loosing his rag again, which is the last thing anyone needs..then Ellery will fly into a rage and before you know it they,ll be punching each other. :o :o :o Cue good old Wes. Maybe he can talk to him. He always seems to know the right thing to say, bless him. I like Wes.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #6232 on: November 04, 2006, 02:23:38 pm »
Louise ~ I still can't get into LJ ~ ARRRGGHHHH ~ I managed to very briefly but can't anymore  >:( so can you put the latest chapter up here as well?

Has everyone else been able to access LJ and leave comments??

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6233 on: November 04, 2006, 02:25:09 pm »
Louise ~ I still can't get into LJ ~ ARRRGGHHHH ~ I managed to very briefly but can't anymore  >:( so can you put the latest chapter up here as well?

Has everyone else been able to access LJ and leave comments??

Nope. :'( :'( :'(

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6234 on: November 04, 2006, 02:26:43 pm »
I was just about to do this - since it appears LJ is going up AND down.

Chapter 73: The Hands of the Law

(Saturday, October 21, 1984)

Ennis stepped over the broken glass in the kitchen, and gave Ellery a quizzical look.  “What should I do with em?”

“Set em down on the sofa I think.  Let’s try ta get em ta come around, I got smellin salts in the medicine chest.  I hope ya didn’t break somethin...” Ellery said, trying not to limp as he went into the bathroom.  Ennis dropped the unconscious Esteban onto the sofa with a disgusted sound, standing over him as though to punch him again if he dared stir.  Ennis was still enraged.

Ellery went in the bedroom and put on his shoulder holster, securing the pistol in it.  In the bathroom, he took an ice pack out of the medicine chest at the same time as the tube of smelling salts, and brought it to the freezer in the kitchen and set it inside.  To his dismay, he saw there were no other ice packs already cold.  Then he returned to the living room and sank down next to the unconscious youth, looking up at Ennis.  “Ya got ta promise me ya ain’t gonna hit em no more.”

“If he calls me that again –“

“Ya ignore em.  Please, Ennis.  You got socked in the eye once an ended up with a concussion.  I don’t want em hurt anymore.”

Ennis paced, seething.  “What’s all the tender feelins for em for?  I should a just kept on –“

Ellery shook his head.  “Esteban was closer ta me than Joe was, Ennis.  He was my best friend in the Department. My partner.  Do ya get it?  Not only this –“

“What?”  Ennis was not calming down any time soon, judging from the hostile tone of his voice.

“This kid works for Mel.  He’s his clerk.”

“What?”

“He works for Mel Ruskin.  You might not a seen em that day, an I didn’t recognize em neither, cause it’s been a few years since I last saw em.  I got ta call Wes an talk to em about this.”

“Ya just got ta call 911 an have em locked up!”

“Not so fast, Ennis.”

“Why the hell not?”

“Because it’s complicated is why not.  Now before I wake em up – tell me you ain’t gonna hit em anymore,”  Ellery gave Ennis a hard look, and Ennis glared back for a long moment before dropping his eyes.

“Okay.”

“You promise.”

“I promise!”  he snarled, and turned on his heel, stalking into the bedroom.

Ellery dug his fingers into his back, stretching experimentally, then unscrewed the cap on the tube in his hand and held it under Esteban’s nostrils, waving it slowly under them.  “Please don’t be in a coma, boy.”

Esteban groaned, his lashes fluttering, and Ellery kept the tube under his nose until he took a deep breath through his mouth and coughed, gagged, and tried to sit up, pushing Ellery’s hand away.  “No – stop!” he said.  Ellery put the cap on the tube and set it down. 

“You okay?”  Ellery asked, glancing at the hallway to see if Ennis was returning.

“Head... hurts.”

“If you have any brains left in yer head you want taunt him no more. I can’t hold em back.  Ya got that?  I got somethin ta gag ya with if ya gonna be a fool. I’d rather stick a pair a socks in yer mouth than see you take another one to the face.”

“I won’t.”

“Ya better not.  That was fuckin dumb.”

“What a you care?  You didn’t care none about my Daddy.”

“Yer Daddy was transferred ta Cheyenne by the Sheriff an that had nothin ta do with me, Larry.  An if yer a law clerk ya ought ta know that.  I wasn’t a Chief Deputy back then an I didn’t make personnel decisions.  Now I’m gonna call my boss an he’s gonna come down here an we’re gonna have a little talk about what ta do about you.”

“Why don’t ya just drag me off ta jail?  That’s what ya want.  Vandalism, trespassin...”

“Don’t push me.  We can still do that.  But right now I want ya ta sit up, I’ll bring ya a cloth ta clean up an we’ll find out if ya got any serious damage, an then talk to the sheriff an bring ya ta get looked after.”

Lorenzo Esteban looked at Ellery curiously.  “You ain’t lockin me up?”

“Not this minute.  An don’t get off that sofa or I’ll put you in handcuffs.”

“Yes sir,” Esteban mumbled.

Ellery got up and went to the phone, this time, his hip faltering on him, and he limped, then lowered himself painfully into the recliner as he lifted the receiver.  Edna answered on the second ring.

“Edna is Wes there?  I got a situation here an I need em.”

“Yeah he is, just finishin his eggs.  Here ya go.”

He looked back at Esteban, who was watching him closely through hooded lids, the bruises on his face swelling.  He needed ice on them – and there was no ice, not for either of them.

“This is the Sheriff,” came Wes’s gruff voice.

“Hi Wes.  We caught one of our vandals just now, an Ennis whaled on em pretty bad, but he doesn’t seem like he’s got nothin broken.”

“Good.  Nobody’ll hold Ennis to account on that if he was caught there at yer house.”

“In the woods, but that’s where he chased em from.  It ain’t that simple, Wes.  It’s Esteban’s kid.”

“Son of a bitch.”

“This ain’t random, Sheriff.  It’s personal.”

“The one who works for Mel...”

“Yeah. I didn’t recognize em before, I guess you knew all along.”

“Happy ta see one a Esteban’s family doin good for a change, I helped em get in there.”

“I need ya ta come down, Wes. I don’t think we should just – I think...”

“I understand,” Wes said.  “Good thinkin.  I’ll be right over.”

“You know how ta get in touch with his daddy?”

“Yeah.  I’ll call em before I get there.  Half an hour, Ellery.  Put em in cuffs, that might discourage Ennis from hittin em any more.”

“Okay.”

“An read em his rights in any case.  I don’t know how Esteban’ll feel about your man beatin his kid up, no matter what he was doin, so we might have ta do some lawyerin stuff.”

“Right.  Sort a figured.”

“See ya soon.”

Ellery set down the phone.  “The Sheriff is comin.  You sit there an I’ll bring ya a washcloth so ya can get clean up a bit.  An I got ta put ya in handcuffs.”

“So I am under arrest.”

“Yup, for now.  Don’t run.”

“I don’t think I can stand,” he replied sullenly.

“Good.”  Ellery smiled grimly, and then went in the bedroom to get his police cuffs.  Ennis was sitting on the end of the bed, elbows on his knees.

“He wake up?”

“Yup.  Fortunately.”  Ellery picked up his handcuffs.  “Wes is comin over.”

“How come you ain’t just bookin em into jail?”

“We’ll talk about this later.”  Ellery put his hand on the doorknob, pausing.

“He done a crime, Ellery.  That is a fuckin crime what he done!”

“And our patio door is smashed ta bits.  Can you maybe call that Tony guy who came over before an see if he can replace it?  Otherwise we are gonna need a big fuckin piece a plywood.”

“Fuck,” Ennis said.

Ellery ran water in the bathroom sink and wet a washcloth when it got hot, grabbed a small towel and brought it back to the living room.  Esteban had not tried to move, but was running his fingers gingerly over his face and skull, probing the bruises gently.  Ellery handed him the washcloth and towel.  “Side a yer face is bleedin on the left.”

“Yeah.  Thanks.”  Esteban looked at the handcuffs in Ellery’s right hand, then began to wipe the blood off his ear and cheek with the cloth, his breath hissing.

“I got ta give you your rights,” Ellery said tiredly, sitting back down in the recliner with a stiff motion.  “You are under arrest for trespassin an vandalism.  You got the right ta remain silent....”
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6235 on: November 04, 2006, 02:48:19 pm »
Chapter 74:  A Hidden Cost

(Saturday, October 21, 1984)

Ennis came out of the bedroom and grabbed his coat, not looking at the youth, now handcuffed on the sofa.  “Tony said they could come at noon, that gonna work?”

Ellery nodded.  “Good.”

“We need ta ... take evidence photos or somethin?”

Ellery shook his head, not explaining.  He glanced over – Esteban was watching him.  “Could you do me a favor, Ennis?”

“What?”  Ennis took his hands out of his pockets, trying to act relaxed.

“Could you get me my pills – the Percodan.”

“Oh shit.  Yeah.  Yer back –“

“Runnin didn’t agree with me,” Ellery said.  “An I don’t feel like it’s a good idea ta get up just this minute.”

Ennis rushed in the bedroom, his own angry mood forgotten, and returned with the pills, and got a glass of water for him.  “Do ya mind gettin some water for the kid?” he asked as he accepted the glass and the bottle.  “Some aspirin might help.”

“Okay.”  Ennis returned to the kitchen and returned with an aspirin bottle and another glass of water for Esteban.

“Wouldn’t mind one a those,” Esteban spoke suddenly, nodding at Ellery’s prescription bottle.

“Well you ain’t gettin one.  Givin ya one a these is a felony.” 

As Ennis set the water glass down, Ellery tossed him the key to the handcuffs, and Ennis unlocked the handcuffs.  Esteban shied slightly from Ennis as he approached, but Ennis’s temper had cooled to a taciturn silence.

“So now that ya got the right ta remain silent, ya want ta tell me what made ya throw over yer career workin for Mel just ta come over an spray paint my house an act like a nine year old with bad upbringin?”  Ellery said, then gulped down the pill with a mouthful of water.

“Don’t be actin like ya don’t know,” Esteban retorted.  “I’ll bet ya yer Sheriff knows.”

“If he does then he’s the only one, cause I haven’t got a fuckin clue what you’re talkin about.”

Ennis glared down at Esteban, holding the handcuffs.  “You watch yer mouth, boy.”

Esteban fell silent.

“Ennis, let em talk.  So what is this about your Daddy made you throw it all up in the air – you can’t be but twenty, twenty-one... an now, ain’t no way Mel is gonna keep you on, not with this...”

“It don’t matter,” Esteban shrugged.  “People like – people like you gettin all the commendations an promotions... there ain’t no opportunity for the rest of us kind anyhow.”

“People like me?”

“You know what I mean, Chief Deputy Cantrell...” the words came out as a blurred sneer through swollen lips.  “Your kind.”

“I’ve known your daddy a long time, boy, I ain’t never heard him talk about me bein a kind.  We got along real well.  He couldn’t a taught you all this.”

“He changed.  But you don’t know about that, do ya?  After he got shoved off ta Cheyenne – you don’t know cause you never saw em afterward,” Esteban replied cryptically.

“That weren’t none a my doin neither, boy.  What I can’t figure out is what has all this got ta do with you becomin a common vandal though?  Breakin my windows, paintin my house.  What did I ever do ta you?  Or my kind, as you put it.”

“Yer the detective – I guess yer gonna have ta figure that out yer own self,” Esteban retorted, unrepentant.  He gulped down the rest of his water.  “Ya can put the cuffs back on now,” he said to Ennis.

Ennis gave him a nasty smile and yanked his hands back, the cuffs clicking shut with a rapid move of his hands, and he took the cup, retreating to the kitchen.  From his posture, Ellery could tell Ennis was getting riled up again.  Good thing he never had any sons, Ellery thought suddenly.  From the clink of glass, he knew Ennis was cleaning up the smashed patio door.

“So who was yer accomplice when ya first came by on Thursday?”  Ellery asked, taking another sip of water, his throat still parched from the dash in the cold air.

“I got the right ta remain silent,” Esteban replied curtly, narrowing his eyes.

“Yes ya do.  But we ain’t decided what ta do with ya yet.”

“He ain’t responsible,” Esteban shot back.

“If he was here helpin you write ‘Die Queer’ on my house he sure is.”

Esteban did not reply, but smiled unpleasantly.

Wes’s Oldsmobile pulled up in the yard.  “Ennis, Wes is here.”

Ennis put his head through the doorway, looking first at Esteban, and set down the broom he held, opened the door and went out as Wes came up the walk.

“Mornin Ennis.  Ya caught a live one did ya?” Wes asked, offering his big hand.  Ennis shook it, nodding.

“Yup.  He broke the patio door.  I called yer guy Tony again an he’ll be here in a couple hours.”

“Good.  Nobody got too badly hurt?”

“Well, see for yerself.”

Wes leaned in close and dropped his voice.  “Don’t worry – ya don’t get charged for beatin somebody up who’s throwin rocks at yer house.”

Ennis smiled tightly.  “Thanks – wasn’t sure about that.”

“Take it from the Sheriff, boy.”  Wes stepped into the door.  “Little breezy in here, Ellery, you put on your air condition?”

“Yeah somethin like that.  Forgive me if I don’t get up, Wes.” 

“Larry,” Wes said, looking at the bruised youth handcuffed on the sofa.

“Hello Sheriff.”

“What the hell a you done, boy?”

“Caused a little trouble,” he replied, visibly intimidated by Wes’s presence towering over him in the room.

“Want some coffee, Wes?”  Ennis asked.

“Sure, that’d be great.  I just inhaled my breakfast and didn’t get a chance ta  savor a mornin cup.”

“It’ll take a few minutes, all I made so far is decaf.”

“I can wait.  We’re just gonna have a little talk, me an Larry here.  I thought when I gave you a recommendation ta go work over in Mel’s office things were lookin up for you, an you were gettin things organized ta go ta law school.  Now what’s this about?”

“You know what it’s about, Sheriff,” he said, gesturing with his chin and giving Ellery a narrow look.  Ellery gazed back at him steadily.

“Why don’t you explain it so we all know then,” Wes said, easing down next to him.

“Why don’t you take off these handcuffs?  Yer Deputy here thinks that all bruised an bloody I’m some kind a threat.”

“I told em ta put you in cuffs.  I want ya ta know yer under arrest an that vandalism is treated seriously here in Laramie, an not just because a who it is you vandalized.”

“You told em to?”  Esteban blinked slowly.

“Yeah, I did.  So we’re gonna talk a little bit an then we got ta decide if Chief Deputy Cantrell here is gonna press charges or not.”

“If?  There’s a question?” Esteban stared at Ellery.

“It ain’t every perpetrator gets a personal visit from the Sheriff, boy,” Wes said softly.  “Just the sons a the men who served under me who might be goin through somethin personal.”

“You might say it’s somethin personal,” Esteban replied, voice sharpening to impudence once more.  Yer Chief Deputy Big Shot is responsible for my daddy losin his job.”

“Oh, how do you figure that?  My Chief Deputy hasn’t been workin with your daddy for almost ten years now,” Wes said.  “He started workin down in Cheyenne when you were still in junior high school.”

“Cause a him!”  Esteban jerked his head at Ellery.  “An cause a him, he lost his job up here in Laramie, an lost his job in Cheyenne too.”

“What a ya mean?”  Wes asked, surprised.

“He ain’t workin there no more – he got – put on leave an they put em in a program.”

“What kind a program?” Ellery sat up, wincing at the spasm in his back.  The medication had not yet begun to work.

“An alcohol rehab program,” Esteban shot back.  “An he had no problem with drinkin before you came along an got em transferred down ta Cheyenne where everybody thought he was a faggot.”

“Larry –“ Wes said, his voice now stern.

“He wasn’t the one who was the faggot, was he, Chief Deputy Faggot?”  Esteban raised his voice.

Ennis loomed in the doorway.  “You say that again in this house an I swear –“

“Ennis you stay right where you are,” Wes said, standing up.  “I’m takin this boy inta custody.  Larry, get up.”

Ennis took a step into the room, and Ellery shook his head.  “Ennis.”

“Ya better take em out...” Ennis said, his voice a low, dangerous growl.  Esteban rose to his feet hurriedly, and Ellery propelled himself out of the chair, interposing his body between Ennis and the sofa.

“I’ll handle this personally, Ellery,” Wes said, opening the door.  “Come on, son.  You made a bad mistake just now.”

“Thank you Wes,” Ellery said, letting out a slow breath.  He watched the door close behind Wes as he walked Larry Esteban out to his car, then headed for the bedroom at a slow limp.  “I got ta lie down.”

“Darlin –“ Ennis said, moving toward him.  Ellery waved him off.

“Get yerself under control.  I’m gonna need yer help about now, Ennis.”  Ellery limped into the bedroom, unloading the pistol as he went.

Ennis turned away, eyes stinging.  “Okay.”

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #6236 on: November 04, 2006, 03:04:00 pm »
Get yerself under control.  I’m gonna need yer help about now, Ennis.”  Ellery limped into the bedroom, unloading the pistol as he went.

Ennis turned away, eyes stinging.  “Okay.”

Powerful chapters Louise. I don't blame Ellery for reacting like this; he's hurting bad (oh man his poor back  :(), probably really disappointed in Ennis for breaking his promise, sad for his former partner, sad about Ennis totally losing it like that, even though he can understand it.

Can't wait for the next one. Thank God for Mel, coming over and taking charge like that.

Thanks Louise, as always  :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6237 on: November 04, 2006, 03:12:02 pm »
Wes!  It was Wes who came over and took charge!

Sheriff Wesley Brown to the rescue!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #6238 on: November 04, 2006, 03:17:03 pm »
That was a sad chapter. I felt bad for Ellery but also for Larry. Must've been hard for him to see his dad going through hell and partly because of fuckin jealous Bill.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #6239 on: November 04, 2006, 03:18:37 pm »
Wes!  It was Wes who came over and took charge!

Sheriff Wesley Brown to the rescue!

OH shit Louise ~ damn typo! I knew that!  ;D