Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1996664 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #3530 on: May 04, 2024, 11:51:15 am »
"The Battle for Attention" by Nathan Heller is supposedly about everyone's shrinking attention span due to technology. However, that does not explain why we name three-hour movies as Best Picture and read 10-page articles like Heller's. There are flaws in the argument. But the most interesting part of the article, to me, was the discussion of the Order of the Third Bird. It's a semi-secret society of people who congregate to look at paintings and such. Do any of my friends here belong or know of this group?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3531 on: May 04, 2024, 02:08:26 pm »
Their names are so similar that I have a tendency to confuse Peter Hessler and Nathan Heller.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3532 on: May 04, 2024, 04:57:04 pm »
I actually think one argument in favor of Heller's argument is that I started it last night and I haven't finished it. And ditto for the many other issues of the New Yorker that I have open to some interesting sounding story that I haven't finished. And ditto for the pile of books on my bedside table. And the books and samples I have downloaded to Kindle. And the browser pages open on my phone that have reached 400+. And the tabs I have open on my laptop that I believe have now reached about 8 million. I did watch a three-hour movie and I do hope to get through his article, but being able to keep my attention on any one thing is almost impossible these days.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3533 on: May 05, 2024, 12:14:02 pm »
That's pretty strong evidence, serious!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3534 on: May 08, 2024, 10:25:51 pm »
I devoured the article on the thefts from the British Museum in this week's issue.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3535 on: May 13, 2024, 03:41:11 pm »
I devoured the article on the thefts from the British Museum in this week's issue.

I'm reading that one now. If nothing else it's encouraged me to add the British Museum to the list of places I would want to visit if I ever get to London.

Meanwhile, I forgot to mention that thanks to that article on converting office space into apartments in New York, we now know Jake Gyllenhaal's address, or one of them, or maybe one that used to be. I've already put the issue in the recycling, so I can't post it here.  :(

It's in the West Village. In the 1970's at least the West Village was practically a gay enclave. The Stonewall Inn is in the West Village. Then the gays moved up town a bit to Chelsea (hence the moniker "Chelsea Boys"), and now I understand it's moved farther up town to Hell's Kitchen.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3536 on: May 14, 2024, 09:58:59 am »
I'm reading that one now. If nothing else it's encouraged me to add the British Museum to the list of places I would want to visit if I ever get to London.

It's worth planning a trip just to go there! The Rosetta Stone, a complete pyramid, the Elgin marbles, the Athena of Samothrace--no, that's in the Louvre. An Assyrian wall, and my personal favorite, the Lewis chess pieces!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3537 on: May 16, 2024, 10:10:19 am »
I bet you will like John McPhee's article in this week's issue, Jeff!

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3538 on: May 16, 2024, 10:29:10 am »
I bet you will like John McPhee's article in this week's issue, Jeff!

I usually do enjoy his articles.  :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3539 on: May 16, 2024, 05:45:26 pm »
I've read parts of it. It's in sections, some better than others. One section is funny.