Author Topic: The BetterMost Can Club  (Read 56997 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: The BetterMost Can Club
« Reply #150 on: April 03, 2009, 09:18:35 am »
I'm enjoying catching up on life. There is a whole world out there that I've been missing while I've been so busy working. Life and death things happening, and I was wasting my time thinlking constantly about how to enrich my employer! I was so misled!!

Today, I was shopping at Goodwill and as I finished suddenly realised that a freak storm had happened. Snow was flying horizontally thru the parking lot. I ran to my car, cursing that I had put off getting gas and would have to do it in the storm. As I went to the gas station, I passed a bus stop and saw a young person standing waiting for the bus, turning his or her back against the wind, as I had seen horses do in Wyoming. It was just miserable looking. As I gassed up my car, I decided to go back and offer the person a ride. But, as I drove up, I saw a bus there and I was disappointed that I wouldn't be able to play Good Samaritan. But when the bus left, the miserable figure was still there. I stopped and called out, "Can I give you a ride?" and the young man ran toward my car, crying out, "YYYYEEEESSSS!!" He jumped in my car and gave directions to the county courthouse where he said he was due in 5 minutes in order to get some work. The boy could not have been over 20 and may have been as young as 16. As I dropped him off, he said triumphantly, "I'm right on time!" and then told me "God Bless You." I have felt great all evening with that "YYYYEEEESSSS!!" echoing in my ears!

That's a lovely story, Lee.  Thanks for sharing it.  I fully believe that what you put 'out there' comes back to you.  You earned some good karma points today, my friend.

I also want to congratulate Rich and Roux on their new jobs!    Yee-Haw!

:-* 8) :-* 8) :-* O0

I've been posting about my new/old gig more in my blog than here.  I don't feel secure enough to resign from the club yet.  It's only a six month engagement to start.  I'm going to spend much of today playing around with this software I need to know how to use (Matlab).  I've decided to put house hunting on the back burner and immerse myself in the work for the moment.  The hotel is fine, and in Boston, factoring in utilities, etc, it's not that much more $$ than whatever apartment I find.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #151 on: April 03, 2009, 09:42:06 am »
Congratulations, Lynne, Rich and Roux!!!  :D :D :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #152 on: April 03, 2009, 10:21:57 am »
I will be resigning from the can club effective April 25th!

yippppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woo-hoo!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #153 on: April 03, 2009, 10:23:10 am »
Congratulations, Lynne, Rich and Roux!!!  :D :D :D

Hey, wait a minute! I musta missed something. Did Rich get a new job, too?  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #154 on: April 03, 2009, 11:03:29 am »
Hey, wait a minute! I musta missed something. Did Rich get a new job, too?  :D

I heard about it second-hand, so I can't swear to it, although my source is very reliable.  I don't know if Rich has posted about it.  Sure hope that's one rumor that's true!
 8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2009, 11:23:57 am »
I heard about it second-hand, so I can't swear to it, although my source is very reliable.  I don't know if Rich has posted about it.  Sure hope that's one rumor that's true!
 8)

Seems to be. After I saw the reference here, I went huntin' on his blog.  :D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2009, 05:50:25 pm »
Yay to all the Can Club Alumnae!!! Congratulations to you all!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2009, 09:57:33 am »
I actually did a few hours of work yesterday! I didn't get paid for it, but it's a start!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #158 on: April 09, 2009, 09:55:29 pm »
I just discovered this thread.  I lost my job at the end of February, and am searching for something, but so far nothing.  I've applied to dozens of jobs, and get nothing in return.  Actually I did have one interview a couple of weeks ago, but they gave the job to someone else.  I worked for a land development company, and business is just so slow around here, they told me they had to let one of us go:  me, in my mid 50's, or my co-worker - the 21 year old blond, shapely, pretty young thing.   Being that most of my co-workers are middle aged males, guess who they let go?  Not the 21 year old. They let me go - the one with the 30 years' experience doing this type of work, and who has seniority over the 21 year old.  It's just not fair, and it's scary out here without a job!   Just venting.  Thanks for listening you all.   

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #159 on: April 09, 2009, 10:39:00 pm »
I just discovered this thread.  I lost my job at the end of February, and am searching for something, but so far nothing.  I've applied to dozens of jobs, and get nothing in return.  Actually I did have one interview a couple of weeks ago, but they gave the job to someone else.  I worked for a land development company, and business is just so slow around here, they told me they had to let one of us go:  me, in my mid 50's, or my co-worker - the 21 year old blond, shapely, pretty young thing.   Being that most of my co-workers are middle aged males, guess who they let go?  Not the 21 year old. They let me go - the one with the 30 years' experience doing this type of work, and who has seniority over the 21 year old.  It's just not fair, and it's scary out here without a job!   Just venting.  Thanks for listening you all.   

That's poop, Dobie1018. It sounds like discrimination. Had you been with that particular company longer than she?

I'm sorry to hear it and wish you the best of luck in getting a new job. I heard a report on the radio today telling about all the people who'd been laid off--and a large percentage are finding jobs--and several of those have found jobs that pay more than the ones they were laid off from. Let's hope that's the case for you!

{{{{{{{{{{Dobie1018}}}}}}}}}}
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~