Author Topic: Randy Quaid Drops BBM Lawsuit (Multiple Threads Merged)  (Read 8982 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Re: Randy Quaid Drops Lawsuit
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2006, 10:20:06 pm »
Oh, ok, Phillip! I was worried that if I posted something personal on here, you might move it to Our Daily Thoughts or something like that. I'm glad to know it's just the movie resources. Sorry for being fussy.

I am mostly concerned with stuff for Movie Resources.  That is about 95% of it.  I want to make sure there is a permanent archive of such things there for people just seeing the movie for the first time.  I won't be moving personal posts around.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline juneaux

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Truth never damages a cause that is just.
~Mohandas Gandhi

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Randy Quaid drops his lawsuit against Focus Features
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2006, 11:15:10 am »
Another link...

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/randy-quaid-to-drop-brokeback-lawsuit/

This was a bit more revealing.  I liked the bit at the end that has a go at the studios execs.  It rattles my anti-corporate-greed nerves. :-\
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Quaid case takes queer turn....
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2006, 12:10:29 pm »
Maybe FOCUS promised they will make him a major character in another film and he will get lots of money. It will be an Oscar worthy film and he'll get the lead.  ;D

Quaid is an odd duck... Yes Becky, it's rather queer how he dropped the whole thing. That why I thought of the a.m. scenario. 

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Randy Quaid Drops BBM Lawsuit
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 09:03:54 am »

Randy Quaid drops "Brokeback Mountain" lawsuit

By Arthur Spiegelman
Thu May 4, 9:09 PM ET

Actor Randy Quaid has dropped his $10 million lawsuit against the makers of Brokeback Mountain, saying they agreed to pay him more money, but the studio said on Thursday it knew of no deal.

Quaid's lawsuit had alleged that Focus Features, a unit of General Electric-owned Universal Pictures, deliberately underpaid him and others who agreed to appear in the low-budget film about two cowboys who fall in love.

The lawsuit had been closely monitored by many actors who forgo their usual fees on major Hollywood studio films to make low-budget movies they believe have artistic merit.

Quaid, who played a homophobic rancher in "Brokeback," said he was dropping the suit because Focus informed him indirectly it intended to resolve the matter amicably. He also offered to share his bonus with other underpaid actors in the film.

But Focus on Thursday said it had no deal with the actor and added in a statement, "The circumstances of him dropping the suit are as mysterious as the circumstances under which he filed his claim."

The statement said Focus never negotiated, offered or agreed to any settlement with Quaid or his attorneys. Quaid's lawyer insisted that Focus did so through what he called a "back-door" communication.

"Brokeback" cost about $14 million to make and grossed more than $160 million worldwide after triggering a debate on whether the topic of homosexual love should be given mainstream respectability and earning an Oscar for its director, Ang Lee.

In his suit filed on March 24 in Los Angeles Superior Court, Quaid said the producers tricked him into appearing in the movie for what was "effectively a donation of his time" by "falsely representing it as a low-budget, art-house film, with no prospect of making any money."

The suit also claimed that "from day one, defendants fully intended the film would not be made on a low budget, would be given a worldwide release and would be supported as the studio picture it always was secretly intended to be."

Copyright © 2006 Reuters Limited.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Randy Quaid Drops BBM Lawsuit
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2006, 09:05:18 am »
Yay!  Randy Quaid dropped his lawsuit!

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=1190.new#new
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Randy Quaid drops his lawsuit against Focus Features
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2006, 12:34:55 am »
This just tickled my funnybone.
-Lynne

"The star dropped his suit against Focus Features, which claimed he was bamboozled into accepting a low fee for an art-house film, only to see Brokeback Mountain backed by Universal and grossing 160 million. "Randy Quaid is an instantly recognizable household name and much-admired actor on the world's stage with a worldwide box office total of nearly $2 billion. His likeness, talent and name are worth millions of dollars and are solely his property," the lawsuit stated. Yes, I think everyone can agree that we all rushed out of the house when we heard about a tragic gay cowboy movie starring Randy Quaid. In the back of our minds, we were hoping it'd be as good as National Lampoon's Backwoods Vacation."

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/pop/articles/0505loser.html

"Laß sein. Laß sein."