Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2652463 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #2140 on: October 23, 2007, 10:36:39 pm »
                                                  Question

There are people like Truman, Scott, Chuck, Milli, Leslie, David, Cameron, Louise, Jack,Lee, Jack 1 and others, in this pllace. That have gifts, they are the type, to survive them....But then, there are others like myself
and some others here that have no discernable talent..They are just....around.  What survives of that.?
Are we here just to curry favor, and tell the gifted ones that they are great?   This is a question of which I have often  pondered these many years...Or what then is a gift, and how do we recognize it..?

I don't see it that way at all, Janice.  You are one of the most loving and generous people I've ever met.  And I knew that about you long before we met in Denver the first time.  I had you pictured as older, though, because there's a wisdom and a grace that you have that makes me feel like a puppy, gangly and awkward, in comparison.  I'd like to have your strength and resilience too.  You are often, if not always, the one of the first to reach out to a new member here, make them feel at home.  I could list quite a few people who have come, and both moved on or stayed on, who rely on your friendship and support.  I count myself proudly among them.  I know about your family - I met your husband and daughter-in-law.  I know about your love and devotion to your granddaughters.  I know your brother through you.  I walked and you supported me.  I don't doubt you will again, especially when I stumble.

Consider my grandmother - she passed away in 1985 - but I still feel her with me.  And she has life renewed because I shared her with someone.

If there's anything to my conservation of energy theology, your spirit lives in others with whom you share it, and it lives on after your body is gone - whether it's shared in a picture, in a hug, in a paragraph, or in a memory.

Maybe the question that needs to be asked is why we don't find enough time to tell the people we care about how much they mean to us and why?  Why do we think they should know, that it goes without saying, when it doesn't and shouldn't??

{{{{{{{{{{{{Janice}}}}}}}}}}}}

I love you, Janice.  Thank you for holding my hand in San Francisco and singing with me.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #2141 on: October 24, 2007, 04:41:24 am »
           That touched me greatly Lynne..I hope you are right...i really do..
   I loved being with you in San Francisco, and on the train..it was a memory in both instances I shall never
forget..  I love you too,

Thank you    Janice
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 06:40:10 am by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2142 on: October 24, 2007, 08:39:09 am »
What survives of that.?  Are we here just to curry favor, and tell the gifted ones that they are great?   This is a question of which I have often  pondered these many years...Or what then is a gift, and how do we recognize it..?

Oh honey!  Your gift is your kindness.  I saw that when I blew out my knee in SF, and you immedieately left the dancefloor/party to go get me a bag of ice for my knee, and sat there with me to keep me company.

The way you treat others, and help them feel good and loved is what will go on.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #2143 on: October 24, 2007, 09:00:17 am »
Lynne said it so eloquently I don't know if I could add much more that would be meaningful.
You are often, if not always, the one of the first to reach out to a new member here, make them feel at home.  I could list quite a few people who have come, and both moved on or stayed on, who rely on your friendship and support.
I consider my self in that group too!
I don't know where I'd be without you!
You are the first person from this community that I ever got up the nerve to call!
I love you Mamma!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2144 on: October 24, 2007, 09:41:18 am »
So what is in a name?

My family name is Adkins. It is an English name that derives from something else. It is also sometimes spelt Atkins, which used to infuriate my father becuase there were people with the name Atkins he did not care for. He was real proud of his name, given to him by his father, who had gotten it from his father, who had gotten it from his.

And there it stops.

My great great grandfather, one Samuel Adkins, was born "a woods child"  my uncle told me several years ago. It was also said Samuel had "been born on the wrong side of the sheets". These quaint saying reflected the fact his parents were not married, and the name came from his mother, Hanah. Perhaps she picked the name form the old testament story of Hanah and her son Samuel. Perhaps someone else got confused and remembered her name wrong. In either case, if Samuel ever knew who his father was, he never told.

For years relatives have asked me where the Adkins's were from. I would tell them the name was English, but that we were from Salt House Branch. That was as far as the written records could take it. Or so I thought. It turns out I had the answer written inside of me and didn't know it.

My broker gave me as a birthday present this year a National Geohraphic DNA testing kit. I was stunned. This is not a cheap test. She and her husband had their DNA tested and I had expressed an interest in it. So I took it home and read the instructions, saw that I could have either my fathers side or my mothers side done with this one test. I decided to do my fathers side hoping it would give me some sort of information regarding his Native American ancestry.

It took about a month for the results to be posted, and they are so technical I cannot understand. Most of the markers appear in the British Isles, and some places in Germany and Spain. There was another set of markers that occued in Siberia, so I figured they were the Indians.

Then there was this message that my halotype froup was associated with the following email groups. There was one for the British Isles, One for Appalachia, one for the Adkins surname and then one for the Mullins surname. WTF?

So I contacted the moderator for this email list and apparently my halotype matches male decendants of one Matthew Mullins who lived in King and Queen County, Virginia in 1699. Without even trying I found out what my name was supposed to be, apparently. The Mullins family are numerous in the area. And apparently there is supposed to be more of them, me included. This I had never expected.

So I do not know who it was that impregnated Hanah Adkins sometime just after the War of 1812, perhaps with some research, a list of suspects could be drawn up. 
I told a cousin of mine this the other day when I ran into him and he was like "How can this be?" and I explained it to him again, we had compared notes on our research before. The more I talked to him it became apparent he just was not getting it, there was a mental block going on. I had to be blount with him: Samuel had his Mamma's name because she was not married to his Daddy, or may not have known who he was. The lightbulb of recognition made him appear kindley pale.

So what is in a name? Well, if I were a Mullins people around here would want me to work on their car. I don't even change my own oil. Aside from that, in a small town, a bunch of assumption on how you'll turn out. I think I will just stay an Adkins and see what happens next.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2145 on: October 24, 2007, 12:10:19 pm »
That's real interesting, Tru!

I ought to try to get that test. I'm just curious enough about my own family history to want to know what it would turn up. I used to edit the magazine for the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania.

Of course you remember there were Mullinses on the Mayflower, but that line died out in the male line that first winter of 1620-21.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2146 on: October 24, 2007, 12:21:09 pm »
Wow, I have actually been to the Genealogical Scoiety of Pennsylvania's digs in Central City, it helped me in the right direction to my folks church in Frankfort.

I bet that could be a hugely mundane job.  :laugh:

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #2147 on: October 24, 2007, 12:53:14 pm »
Wow Truman, thats really cool!
I'd love to do that as well!
Lord knows what would show up!! LOL
You knowmy history, it could be intersting to say the least!  :laugh:
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Scott6373

« Reply #2148 on: October 24, 2007, 12:55:23 pm »
Wow, I have actually been to the Genealogical Scoiety of Pennsylvania's digs in Central City, it helped me in the right direction to my folks church in Frankfort.

I bet that could be a hugely mundane job.  :laugh:

It is.  I can't tell you how many times I have sat in one with Rick while he looked at old dusty books, registers, etc...

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2149 on: October 24, 2007, 01:16:32 pm »
Ain't them old books just as nasty as hell? Silverfish running everwhere! Yikes. That is where I realized the written word was sacred, it has the ability to carry a reality into another time. Of course sometimes a reality might be that grandpa stole someones hog.  8)