Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2629913 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #2400 on: November 06, 2007, 02:39:25 pm »
Neah...people have been getting pitted for centuries.

No kidding  :D I meant new expression  ;D Or at least I have never heard it before. If it gets planted a new tree may grow.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #2401 on: November 06, 2007, 02:43:16 pm »
Wasn't Grumpy one of the Seven Dwarves?

Yep, Grumpy was one of them along with Doc, Happy, Sneezy, Bashful, Sleepy, and Dopey. Happy and Bashful had an illicit affair going on.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2402 on: November 06, 2007, 02:48:21 pm »
Regarding crying, it starts with my right eye first. I learned that very well last year.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Scott6373

« Reply #2403 on: November 06, 2007, 02:50:41 pm »
No kidding  :D I meant new expression  ;D Or at least I have never heard it before. If it gets planted a new tree may grow.

Long as something grows...it's all good...with the exception ofn my darling Truman...I avoid southern plantings.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2404 on: November 06, 2007, 03:23:13 pm »
 :-*   Scott!~

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2405 on: November 06, 2007, 03:29:37 pm »
Neah...people have been getting pitted for centuries.

Are you sure you don't mean "spitted" rather than "pitted"?  ;D

I mean, "pitted" is having something removed, like the pit of a prune, but "spitted." ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Scott6373

« Reply #2406 on: November 06, 2007, 03:30:18 pm »
Are you sure you don't mean "spitted" rather than "pitted"?  ;D

I mean, "pitted" is having something removed, like the pit of a prune, but "spitted." ...  ;D

If one gets spitted, one gets pitted

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #2407 on: November 06, 2007, 04:05:58 pm »
Regarding crying, it starts with my right eye first. I learned that very well last year.

I think it does with me too  ;)

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #2408 on: November 06, 2007, 04:16:51 pm »
Since spitted and pitted are being used as verbs we can say that to be spitted means to either pierce, stab, or transfix, as with a spit; impale on something sharp or to thrust a spit into or through. To be pitted means to either  place or bury in a pit, as for storage or to remove the pit from (a fruit or fruits): to pit cherries for a pie (much as Mrs. Twist did). This all depends on what kind of a pit you are talking about. Are you planning on putting something into a pit or removing the pit? And the spit is either a pointed rod or bar for thrusting through and holding meat that is to be cooked before or over a fire or any of various rods, pins, or the like used for particular purposes.

So from the best I can tell from the conversation Scott is right on the money as it appears that you do need to get spitted to be pitted  ;D

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2409 on: November 06, 2007, 05:00:13 pm »
Well, it is election day, and I voted this morning. I purposely waited so I could use my constitutionally protected right to vote as an excuse to miss the weekly office meeting. I am glad to see this election cycle overwith, all local races this time. The most contentious being that for Sheriff. Our incumbent sheriff was a Sergent up until this time last year when the former sheriff and most of his department were arrested by the FBI on a number of charges. http://www.wsls.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSLS/MGArticle/SLS_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149191497988

I pulled up into the Rangeley Ruitan Club parking lot and was amazed at how many people were there. It was a proverbial sea of white hair. I parked and ran to dodge the volunteers standing out in the cold in the belief they could influence my vote for sheriff, or school board, or supervisor. The line was out the door.

The reason for the back up was a combination of the median age of the voters ( about 100 ) and the new fangled electronic voting machines that they looked upon like something from another planet. There were two set up, extention (drop) cords running everywhere. State of the art equipment in a room heated by a wood stove, the mini blinds in the window behind it warped beyond use.

I got in ling behind the sister of my aent and three women who had rode with her. Said hi to a guy I graduated High School with who I only see on election day and then I ground democracy to a halt. I showed them my license, which has my correct, changed name on it. I had not bothered to change my voter registration in the 10 years since I had changed my name and when I told them I didn;t have the same name anymore, the nice lady who used to be my neighbor smiled and said: "Did you get married?"

Resisting the temptation to tell her that no, last year on election day that possibility was closed to me, I asked what do we do now. My old classmate came to the rescue, I had to fill out another registration form. Got back in line and exercised my right to choose who I wanted to receive my hard earned tax dollars in their paycheck. I have no big investment in the outcome, and look forward even less to the divisiveness that will come next year when we replace the current occupant of the White House.