Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2631024 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #2810 on: November 25, 2007, 11:44:44 pm »
You can find most anything if you know where to look online. I still need to order my brokback callendar for next year....

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend Truman, but I sure am glad he is going  to be ok. That was a very long fall!!!

I have already ordered and received 2 copies of the 2008 Brokeback calendar. I always put one up and leave the other one sealed.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #2811 on: November 26, 2007, 12:09:54 am »
And speaking of me, I'm back. I have made it safely back from the wild frontier of Central Pennsylvania.

I still have the cold I came down with on the 14th.  :(

I have done some catching up. I smiled at that description of the "honey wagon" with Yosemite Sam on it.  :D

I have been to downtown Richmond. I've even been to Shockoe's wharf ... 25-26 years ago.  :-\

I'm sorry your not feelin any better but I sure am glad you are back!!
I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!
I missed ya!  ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2812 on: November 26, 2007, 03:43:38 am »
Shockoe's has gotten a lot more gentrified, restaurants and nice shops in the old warehouses, since they built the flood wall to keep the river out during hurricane season. The Indians should be paying their taxes this week, they give the Governor a deer, every year since 1677.

Why ain't y'all callin' it Shockoe Bottom?  That's what I hear it called?

Oh dear, Truman, I'm sorry to hear that from you to Richmond is the most boring drive on Earth.  I have to admit, that when I drove to Blacksburg to meet you and our wonderful Lynne, I had been looking forward to the drive through the beautiful state of Virginia, but it wasn't that beautiful, it was mostly kinda dull.  But the destination was so worth it.  Imagine, I was coming nearly completely to see Lynne, you hadn't gotten on my radar much yet then.  That's changed.  :)  That was just about a year ago.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2813 on: November 26, 2007, 09:00:02 am »
Well you were on 460, which is not as boring, and I might go that way when I come see you, but 360 is duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

Shockoe Bottom, Shockhoe Slip, Rockets warf are all names for that area. Maybe we can go check out the Velvet Gentlemans Club witht the purple neon, whaddya say?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2814 on: November 26, 2007, 09:57:48 am »
Well you were on 460, which is not as boring, and I might go that way when I come see you, but 360 is duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

Shockoe Bottom, Shockhoe Slip, Rockets warf are all names for that area. Maybe we can go check out the Velvet Gentlemans Club witht the purple neon, whaddya say?

Shockoe was already kinda trendy when I was there, which was 1980 or 1981, I forget which.

You want dull drivin' in Virginia, try King William and King and Queen County in Tidewater. I used to pass through there on my way to Williamsburg. I'd come down 301 and then cut off to the southeast to take back roads to Williamsburg and avoid Richmond. I thought I'd go out of my mind with the dullness. That was a long time ago. I'd have to consult a map to check the route numbers.

My favorite dullest highway  ;D is the Pennsylvania Turnpike between Harrisburg and Carlisle.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #2815 on: November 26, 2007, 10:51:18 am »
Ya'll ain't got nothin on us!
I-16 from Macon to Savannah is the worst. It's about 4hrs of nothing.
Maybe an occaasional cotton field or soybean field.
There was only one exit that had anything on it. It was Dublin and it was about 2hrs into the drive.
That was when I was in College. Now there are a couple more exits that catually have a gas station and a MCD's but they are about 3hrs into the drive.
It's awful. Also, there is no cell recertion and little FM radio reception even now.
So unless you have satillite radio, yo hear a lot of preachin and farm reports! LOL
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2816 on: November 26, 2007, 10:58:48 am »
Ya'll ain't got nothin on us!
I-16 from Macon to Savannah is the worst. It's about 4hrs of nothing.
Maybe an occaasional cotton field or soybean field.
There was only one exit that had anything on it. It was Dublin and it was about 2hrs into the drive.
That was when I was in College. Now there are a couple more exits that catually have a gas station and a MCD's but they are about 3hrs into the drive.
It's awful. Also, there is no cell recertion and little FM radio reception even now.
So unless you have satillite radio, yo hear a lot of preachin and farm reports! LOL

Sounds to me like that wins the prize for awful drive!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #2817 on: November 26, 2007, 11:00:50 am »
Sounds to me like that wins the prize for awful drive!  ;D
I'm sure there are worse places out west going through desert. However, Imagine that would be a beautiful drive.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2818 on: November 26, 2007, 01:06:28 pm »
Shockoe was already kinda trendy when I was there, which was 1980 or 1981, I forget which.

You want dull drivin' in Virginia, try King William and King and Queen County in Tidewater. I used to pass through there on my way to Williamsburg. I'd come down 301 and then cut off to the southeast to take back roads to Williamsburg and avoid Richmond. I thought I'd go out of my mind with the dullness. That was a long time ago. I'd have to consult a map to check the route numbers.

My favorite dullest highway  ;D is the Pennsylvania Turnpike between Harrisburg and Carlisle.

Oh yeah, you crossed the 301 bridge, I like it. Maybe you came down 17 or 60? Went thru the northern neck, dull ride.

My dullest ride by far was the day I spent crossing Nebraska on a two lane road. I stopped in on little town and there was litterally no one there.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #2819 on: November 26, 2007, 02:35:53 pm »
Oh yeah, you crossed the 301 bridge, I like it. Maybe you came down 17 or 60? Went thru the northern neck, dull ride.

My dullest ride by far was the day I spent crossing Nebraska on a two lane road. I stopped in on little town and there was litterally no one there.

Was the name of the town Gatlin??