Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2649872 times)

karen1129

Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #2970 on: December 01, 2007, 12:34:45 pm »
Well I am having a better day. I am able to put on my black jeans today! They are holding me in like a woman who owes money for tires. Not the most comfortable, I won;t wear them just yet, but I can get them on!

God, how I wish I could get into my black jeans !!! :-\

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2971 on: December 01, 2007, 01:11:34 pm »
Truman, your writing is so good, I really enjoyed the story of going to get the tires. I like the way you explain in detail the characters.

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2972 on: December 01, 2007, 01:14:00 pm »
God, how I wish I could get into my black jeans !!! :-\

Same here. That would be nice. Right now I have two pairs of black 501s hanging in the closet  :D

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2973 on: December 01, 2007, 02:36:18 pm »
Truman, your writing is so good, I really enjoyed the story of going to get the tires. I like the way you explain in detail the characters.

One of my favorite books is "Let us now praise famous men" by James Agee and Walker Evans. They stayed withthis poor white family in the deep  south in the 1930 and wrote about them in such incredible detail it is staggering. I think they inspired Jack Keroauc.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2974 on: December 01, 2007, 06:42:44 pm »
Well I am having a better day. I am able to put on my black jeans today! They are holding me in like a woman who owes money for tires. Not the most comfortable, I won;t wear them just yet, but I can get them on!

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I can get into my black 501s. I just keep them for "good."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2975 on: December 02, 2007, 12:15:54 pm »
Thank you Gary, I had locked that thread so as to put a close to it, but feel free to comment on it.

It is a mess. I spoke with Lynne about coming out to my nephew and could not for the first time get myhead around what had happened to society, why on earth did someone decide one day that my sexual orentation was wrong? Codified it into law and religion, made it a crime.

When I think about the YEARS of my life I wasted in fear because of it, directly and indirectly, it is sickening. Having read your story as well I see that we are the same in that we had to figure this out on our own. We are the lucky one who could. Everyday I see people who haven't, may never.What am I supposed to do about them?

And the whatifs, man life can get eat up by them very easy. What if you had taken off on a weekend to Roanoke in 1988 and I met you at The Park, would I have had the nerve or the blood alcohol content to speak to you? What if we had gone to school together in Bristol? I would have watched you from afar, hoping one day to get a chance to strike up a conversation.

So how'bout this: whatif next time I come to California I look you up, share a beer, and laugh or two? That is the whatifs we gotta keep front and center.  ;)

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2976 on: December 02, 2007, 12:47:19 pm »
Well, the Xmess parade is over for another year.  :P

The local Jaycees put the parade on every year and every year my office is scrambling at the last minute to get our entry in. The theme this year was "A Colonial Christmas". As near as I could tell it was totally ignored. We chose to do the Grinch and the elves again. I got to be the Grinch, again, as I am the only guy in the office willing to put forth the effort.

I called my friend Susan the Massage Therapist down the street this past week to ask if she could drive us in her car again. It is a 1971 Oldsmobile 442 convertible painted midnight purple. It is Da Bomb. Her father bought it new for $2,000 she said. It used to be canary yellow. She is a sweet person, I should spend more time with her.

Lynn went to the costume store to get the Grinch suit. It was a different one than last years. It had a HUGE head piece reminiscent of the Scary Rabbit in Donnie Darko, a green body suit, Santa coat and them curled up shoes. It was hot as hades in that thing, the head loping back and forth I had to hold it in place with one hand to see and get air thru and eye hole.

Susan arrived about 4 with the car. We had already commenced drinking. A blender full of daiquiris followed by Coffee laced with Bailey's Irish Creme, only 4000 calories. Hila Lee had made costumes for the other agents, 4 of them, and her daughter and niece, neither of whom had ever seen a parade let alone be in one. Lourdes tied balloons to the car and I filmed it, all the loose tongues speaking of husbands, passing motorists and what they had for lunch.....Then we piled in and made our way down the street, Clampett style, to our spot, #90, past people mowing the grass on the first day of December in the dark. "Have you been drinking? We have!" Kerry yelled at them.

And so we began our wait. I spoke with the Elder Avery Preston who I graduated high school with, now the pastor of the outreach ministries who had the float behind us, pulled by a large semi. We noticed sever people dressed in Civil war garb and figured they were reinactors until their float took off, they were the Stuart, Virginia chapter of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, parading thru a town with a 50% African American population flying Confederate battle flags. We all looked at one another like OMG! I did the rumpshaker dance in the middle of Market street for a group of carolers, who howled. It was great fun.

Then we finally took off after 45 minutes, I was gasping for breath in that headpiece. The kids were wide eyed with wonder once again to see the Grinch. I think he is more popular than Santa. We got up to the old court house and I hugged the camera man from the local cable station. Then the car died. Susan got it cranked again with my jumping in the back seat, pumping my arm like a train. The cars timing is set high, it is meant to fly the road, not creek long with a bunch of elves in tow.

We rounded the corner to the city hall and the car died again. It didn;t want to start this time, so I hopped out to help push it out of the way of Avery's semi and no sooner did my curled shoes touch the ground did it fire up and take off leaving me and the elves behind.....the crowd busted out laughing. O-well, we walked arm in arm up Church Street, occasionally posing for pictures and shaking hands and panting for breath.

After about a block, Kerry told me if I ran I might could catch the car, so I took off running down the street, all the floats now totally out of sync, I was holding on to my head for dear life, the crowd was cheering me on and I could see the car getting closer and at the last second I leaped, did a Luke Duke across the trunk, became entangled in the balloons and landed head first in the back seat. People were screaming, I was laughing, Susan was laughing, the elves were left behind and thankfully in a few more minutes the thing ended and we beat a hasty retreat to the office. Esseffejoe called me on my cell phone that I had carried inside my giant green glove "oh me, I'm in a parade....."

I was drenched with sweat. Luckily there was an extra t shirt to put on. Luckily the belt buckle had not scratched the trunk, luckily no one died.    :)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #2977 on: December 02, 2007, 01:11:36 pm »

Oh my gosh.   I am thinking McCauley Culkin in Home Alone here.   My hands on each side of my head.
But instead of screams of fear, it is screams of laughter.  :laugh: :laugh:    All that running and all that
sweating, should have evened out the baileys, and mojitos.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
         WHAT A GREAT STORY....

Beautiful mind

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2978 on: December 02, 2007, 01:40:54 pm »

As someone who is fitting back into old clothes sizes again, I know the feeling!  Fantastic!  Congrats to you, buddy!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #2979 on: December 02, 2007, 01:41:53 pm »
What a hoot, Truman!  I wish I could have been there to see you take the One Giant Leap for Grinchkind!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Ich bin ein Brokie...