Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2631219 times)

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #3310 on: December 28, 2007, 10:51:13 am »
What a lovely day!

I've never been to Monticello.

So what's the significance, the symbolism, of leaving the quarter on the chair rail?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #3311 on: December 28, 2007, 11:07:09 am »
What a lovely day!

I've never been to Monticello.

So what's the significance, the symbolism, of leaving the quarter on the chair rail?

Oh, anacharist, lite. It is like lashing out and paying for it at the same.  ;D

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3312 on: December 28, 2007, 11:39:08 am »
I wondered that too, Jeff!

So, you mean -- since that lady said "don't touch the wood" -- you did it as an act of rebellion, but you paid for it to assuage your guilt ( or to let her know she'd been disobeyed)??

You're so bad!!  :P ;D
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3313 on: December 28, 2007, 12:07:00 pm »
You're so bad!!  :P ;D

One of the reasons we love him.  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #3314 on: December 28, 2007, 12:40:44 pm »

So, you mean -- since that lady said "don't touch the wood" -- you did it as an act of rebellion, but you paid for it to assuage your guilt ( or to let her know she'd been disobeyed)??

That's how I interpreted it, and do you know, Tru, after she said that, I, who had been conscientiously and carefully not touching a thing, started to touch the door jambs as we went through them. 

Well, my family liked you too.  After we got on the (dark) road back home, and after the chat had settled, during a quiet spell, my mom suddenly said out to the quiet car, "I like Truman."  "Me too," said my sister.  "Me too," says me.  :)  I knew they would.  I'm going to find your Falwell funeral essay and copy and paste it for them to read.  I don't want to invite them to BetterMost though!  :)

Thanks for all the traveling you did yesterday to get to us.  I would LOVE to have you come to Washington State. 

Clarissa

I'll have to remember to tell my sister about the Cate Blanchett thing.  I see what you mean, now that you say it.  I wish we had thought to take a photo of just you and me so we could have posted it.  Maybe I'll figure out a way.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3315 on: December 28, 2007, 12:47:06 pm »
That's how I interpreted it, and do you know, Tru, after she said that, I, who had been conscientiously and carefully not touching a thing, started to touch the door jambs as we went through them.  

You two!!!  :P  Was the lady snarky? Or were ya'll secretly iin league, sympathetically/empathetically (whichever??), with the poor embarrassed guy?

I loved reading about your outing together! And about Elle leading the Christmas carols on the bus -- sweet!! Your day together sounded like such a nice and cool time!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3316 on: December 28, 2007, 12:49:02 pm »
We toured the cellars, the smoke houses, the blacksmiths shop, where I discovered a mystical connection betwixt Ellemeno and Scott' dog.

:laugh: :laugh:

Who will enlighten us? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #3317 on: December 28, 2007, 01:02:42 pm »

You two!!!  :P  Was the lady snarky? Or were ya'll secretly iin league, sympathetically/empathetically (whichever??), with the poor embarrassed guy?

I loved reading about your outing together! And about Elle leading the Christmas carols on the bus -- sweet!! Your day together sounded like such a nice and cool time!

She was officious and had this sort of air that she owned Thomas Jefferson.  Like he was her Barbie doll, and she would let us look at her Barbie, but wouldn't let us touch or even acknowledge that we had a Barbie too.  Plus she spoke in the present tense with every sentence.  I understand that's the historical docent's prerogative, but she made it real annoying. 

It felt like she called sharply across the crowd at that guy to make an example of him.  That's what I didn't like.  He had his jacketed shoulder leaning on a high gloss door frame that surely gets repainted again and again.  It wasn't like he had laid down in the bed.  Still, I will acknowledge that on the 3:30pm tour alone there were many, many people, so I'm sure they do need to watch that each individual leaves as little impact as possible.  But her tone...

« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 07:24:57 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3318 on: December 28, 2007, 01:06:50 pm »
You and Truman did good! I hope the guy noticed.  ;)  ;D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #3319 on: December 28, 2007, 01:32:09 pm »
Elle once had someone in her life named Grady as well as Scott. That was the mystical connection
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."