Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 552776 times)

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
Re: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County
« Reply #1460 on: January 23, 2007, 09:53:47 am »
SPOILERS

I so agree with every word you said.  When I was reading the chapter, I thought I'm not going to make any comment because it made me so sad for Wayne, I'm glad to read your post.

I agree with y'all, too.

It's very sad for Wayne.

I would not have thought that he would become suicidal, but to attempt suicide-by-Ennis really is going too far. He may be nearer the end of his life than anyone has realized.  The possibility of AIDS - related dementia even comes to mind.

Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1461 on: January 23, 2007, 10:30:17 am »
SPOILER

This chapter made me ache for Wayne.

I feel the same. I don't get to come here as often as I used to (or as often as I would like), but I had to after reading the last couple of chapters.

At first my head was kind of spinning with the goings on at the bar, but I certainly wasn't expecting Wayne's behavior or Ennis' meltdown (although it was subsiding quickly. Wayne was very cheeky, but unfortunately for him he chose to overstep the line with the wrong person, and he knew exactly what he was doing when he did it.

I do hope that he and Ennis make up, especially was Wayne is so ill. He does need all the friends he can get, though he doesn't seem to be trying to endear himself to any of them. This him and Ellery having a chat would be a good idea.

Karen

Offline beauba

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1462 on: January 23, 2007, 10:46:51 am »
SPOILER

Now I really feel sad for Wayne , he needs a good friend to talk to . :'(

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #1463 on: January 23, 2007, 11:52:06 am »
I do hope that he and Ennis make up, especially was Wayne is so ill. He does need all the friends he can get, though he doesn't seem to be trying to endear himself to any of them. This him and Ellery having a chat would be a good idea.

Exactly right Karen. The thing is, he,s not endearing himself to anyone, which makes it very hard for me, and certainly Ennis to feel sorry for the guy. Hes just such a prat isnt he? I,m so like Ennis ya know. I,d react in exactly the same way he did/does.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1464 on: January 23, 2007, 02:01:18 pm »
SPOILER

Oh my, Louise.  What an emotional roller coaster ride.  I so agree with all the thoughtful comments. 

Ennis's fury being checked with the evidence of Wayne's fraility . . . Wayne putting into words what he has been acting out - that he's already a dead man and has nothing to lose . . . the line about the insufficient suede jacket and the frigid cold . . . you're killing me, Louise.   :'(  So unspeakably sad.

I do hope Ellery will be understanding - will see the desperation of Wayne's actions. - I don't know what the answer is. Maybe Ellery is the only person that can get through to Wayne.  I feel bad that Jeremy had to toss him out - (and I'll bet Jeremy feels bad, too) but I don't see that he had any choice.  In light of the atmosphere in the bar - it may have been for Wayne's own good that he left.

Masterful, Louise.  Thanks for not pulling any punches.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #1465 on: January 23, 2007, 02:12:08 pm »

This chapter made me ache for Wayne. It actually made me cry a little. I know he's been acting like a bitch but they all know why and they got to find it in their heart to forgive him. I think Wayne is crying out for help, love and friendship. I wonder if he is all alone, if his family doesn't want to have anything to do with him because he's working hard to get everyone's attention. I just hope Ennis and Ellery understand this and deal with the situation differently. Maybe they should invite Wayne for dinner one night and listen to him to find out what exactly is going on, let him know they still think of him as a person, and formally invite him to the reception. I think that's what Wayne needs right now, friendship and love. IMO, banning him from the bar for giving Ennis a kiss just made things worse from him. It could have triggered a severe depression, even though he deserved it. I think the only way Wayne is going to be himself again is when he realizes that despite everything his people still care for him. He is sure a pain in the ass but he isn't a bad person.

I agree, what a sad state of affairs. And to think that Wayne was the first friendly face Ennis saw when he came to Laramie.  :(

edited by MaineWriter to add the quote bracket
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 02:18:57 pm by MaineWriter »
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1466 on: January 23, 2007, 04:39:04 pm »
Natali expressed it so well .. and I too agree with all that's been said so far about Wayne.
He may be a sumbitch but he really is harmless .. sure he doesn't make it easier for himself, but I think they oughta cut him some slak.
I still think he oughta be invited to the wedding reception!  ;)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1467 on: January 23, 2007, 05:48:56 pm »
Wayne is Wayne.   Fictional or not, we all know someone like him.   They speak their mind and often get in trouble over it.      The fact he is sick is not the point.   He had a sharp tongue before remember? 

We need to remember the timeline.   Back in the early 80s when movie star Rock Hudson was revealed to have AIDS, his co-stars were furious.  Especially Linda Evans who had kissing scenes with him.   Back in the early days nobody knew if you could get it by kissing even.    Of course today we know that you can't.    Not that I think Louise meant for Ennis to fear that.  He just doesn't like Wayne, pure and simple.   He can feel sorry for him, but that still doesn't mean he has to like his behavior.

Yes, it is sad that Wayne is sick.   But he isn't helping endear himself to the other bar patrons let alone the staff.    Why would E&E even consider inviting him to the reception?   That would make no sense.   

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1468 on: January 23, 2007, 05:56:13 pm »

Yes, it is sad that Wayne is sick.   But he isn't helping endear himself to the other bar patrons let alone the staff.    Why would E&E even consider inviting him to the reception?   That would make no sense.   

I agree with you, David. As one of the avid re-readers, I am going back to the beginning with Wayne. And frankly, he has changed, alot, and not in pleasant ways. I feel bad that he's ill and in his frustration, anger, and depression is lashing out at the very friends who could support him and help him...but providing support and help does not mean an automatic invitation to a wedding reception. Ennis is anxious enough about the party as it is. Can you imagine how he'd feel if Wayne were there?

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #1469 on: January 23, 2007, 06:08:08 pm »
SPOILER

Now I'm going to be provocative here. I am probably the only one who thinks Ennis is being a bit precious here about his physical inviolability. Women have had to put up with gropes and fugitive kisses since the dawn of time. It won't hurt Ennis to get grabbed occasionally. He working in a gay bar for heaven's sake not a sunday school dance hall. And anyway didn't we get the impression that Ennis' constant urge to give Wayne a spanking masked a secret attraction!

Ennis should get over it and Wayne should get an invite.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 06:12:45 pm by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great