Author Topic: Best Movie of 2006?  (Read 7477 times)

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Best Movie of 2006?
« on: January 01, 2007, 12:35:05 am »

Well it's the time of year for more honours to be heaped on our beloved BBM.  The Belfast Telegraph has listed Brokeback Mountain as the # 1 movie for 2006.  Well of course!   :D   If anyone else spots any similar accolades for our beloved movie, can you please post it in this thread?  Thanks,  ;)

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Best Movie of 2006?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 12:43:48 am »

http://www.sundaylife.co.uk/features/article2115036.ece

The Belfast Telegraph

Damon's top 5 movies

[Published: Sunday 31, December 2006 - 15:27]

By Damon Smith

1. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (released January 6)

The most controversial film of the year, Ang Lee's heartbreaking love story, based on a 30-page novella by Annie Proulx, wears its heart on its sleeve to chart the tempestuous 20-year love story of ranch hands Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) and Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger), who cross paths one summer in ultra-macho 1960s Wyoming.

This is a heartrending portrait of an enduring yet impossible love, distinguished by gorgeous cinematography, haunting orchestral score and an elegant screenplay.

Gyllenhaal's energetic turn as talkative dreamer Jack contrasts with Ledger's riveting portrayal of an introverted soul, simmering with self-loathing.

Michelle Williams and Anne Hathaway are stunning as the wives who end up casualties of Jack and Ennis's war with their true desires. As Jack puts it: "That ol' Brokeback got us good."

2. UNITED 93 (released June 2)

On September 11, 2001, the world as we knew it was changed forever. The events in New York City that fateful autumn still resonate today and are a stark reminder of mankind's terrifying capability for destruction.

Paul Greengrass' harrowing recreation of events on United Airlines Flight 93, the fourth hijacked plane, unfolds in real time, beginning with scenes of the hijackers in their hotel rooms, preparing for their mission.

Greengrass shoots events in the claustrophobic cabin and on the ground on handheld cameras, with a cast of largely unknown actors playing the passengers.

Key military and civilian personnel, including Ben Sliney (the man in charge of the FAA's command centre), play themselves, adding to the unsettling air of realism.

Even though we know, with sickening certainty, how the film will end, we pray for a different resolution.

3. THE DEATH OF MR LAZARESCU (released July 14)

Cristi Puiu's jet black comedy, charting one man's haphazard journey through the Romanian health system, is by turns hilarious and emotionally heartbreaking, shot with an unflinching eye for detail.
/snip/

4. LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE (released September 8 )

Husband and wife team Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris gearshift seamlessly from directing music videos to the vast canvas of big screen with their glorious celebration of 21st century family life in all of its perplexing, dysfunctional glory.
/snip/

5. RED ROAD (released October 27)

British writer-director Andrea Arnold, who collected the 2005 Oscar for best live action short, graduates effortlessly to feature film with this voyeuristic thriller that crawls under your skin and lingers in the memory long after the end credits roll.

CCTV operator Jackie (Kate Dickie) is one of the team of people charged with scouring the city, spotting trouble before it happens. While focusing one of the cameras on the Red Road estate, Jackie is shocked to see Clyde (Tony Curran), the man she thought was still in prison for killing her husband and child.
/snip/

http://www.sundaylife.co.uk/features/article2115036.ece
© Belfast Telegraph

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Pittsburg, PA viewers gave BBM 4-Stars
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 05:29:14 am »
Thanks for posting this, Jane!

It seems that Brokeback Mountain was one of the few films Pittsburg viewers were impressed with last year:

"The numbers tell the tale: In 2006, Post-Gazette reviewers gave four-star ratings to just eight movies (and a couple, namely "Brokeback Mountain" and "Tsotsi," were 2005 movies that opened here late)."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06363/749734-254.stm
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 10:16:57 am »
The January 8 issue of The New Yorker says, "...the good small that do well, like "Brokeback Mountain" and "Borat" are, in relation to cost, among the most successful movies ever made."

It goes on to interview James Schamus.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 11:18:27 am »
The article also says that the marketing department, in researching how to market the movie, focused on older women who do volunteer work!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 10:37:16 pm »
We were getting off-topic so I split this thread and moved it over to Chez Treblay (Resurrecting the Movies Thread).  Here's the link:

http://72.232.132.224/forum/index.php/topic,5286.msg137780.html#msg137780

What I'd really *love* here is media accolades for Brokeback Mountain.

Thanks!
Lynne

8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 10:59:08 pm »
I love to read things like this.  Thanks for posting.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
Best Movie of 2006? Top 10 in Sydney
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 02:30:26 pm »
Brokeback Mountain: Top 10 Film of '06
SMH critics have named Brokeback Mountain as one of their Top 10 films of the year.

It was a film that caused so much controversy before its worldwide release, but ended up being one of the biggest movies this year. Brokeback Mountain won a lot of fans, including the critics of the newspaper Sydney Morning Herald.

In today's edition of the newspaper, Herald critics Sandra Hall and Paul Byrnes were asked to give their best Top 10 films of the year. Brokeback Mountain was the only film to appear on both lists.

Sandra Hall spoke of Heath Ledger's "pacesetting" of Australian actors; "Brokeback Mountain, Candy, and the insouciant Casanova came together to give us an actor whose range should take him just about anywhere he wants to go."

Paul Byrnes rated the film highly; "It's obvious from my list that I think Brokeback Mountain was a better film than Crash and should have won the Oscar."

Take your hat off once more Ennis Del Mar; you have done a wonderful job.

http://www.generationq.net/GenQCMS/viewarticle.php?article=1888
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
Best Movie of 2006 - Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 03:47:12 am »
"[Reviewer] Stone gave out two A pluses in '06. The first went to "Brokeback Mountain," which was an '05 movie that didn't come to Northeast Mississippi until '06'"

http://www.djournal.com/pages/story.asp?ID=234336&pub=1&div=Lifestyles
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 05:00:23 am »
5. RED ROAD (released October 27)
British writer-director Andrea Arnold, who collected the 2005 Oscar for best live action short, graduates effortlessly to feature film with this voyeuristic thriller that crawls under your skin and lingers in the memory long after the end credits roll.

CCTV operator Jackie (Kate Dickie) is one of the team of people charged with scouring the city, spotting trouble before it happens. While focusing one of the cameras on the Red Road estate, Jackie is shocked to see Clyde (Tony Curran), the man she thought was still in prison for killing her husband and child.

Red Road is a notorious estate in Glasgow (gang fights are common - and its really just a very depressing council estate) - I haven't seen it but I have been told it gived a pretty accurate portrayal of life there. And has got a lot of directing and acting awards... If you want an idea of REAL scottidh accents - and not those of Mel Gibson in Braveheart - see this!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 12:27:27 pm »
Just got United 93 yesterday.  I'm hoping to watch it tomorrow or Sunday night.  I hope it doesn't sound weird, but I'm looking forward to it.  It's on most critics' top ten list for the year, and is many's Number One.

No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 02:37:05 pm »
I think BBM deserves to be the Best Movie of the Year for at least two years (depending on where and when it opened). I know it will be MY best movie of the year every year from now on!

But among others you saw in 2006, what was your favorite (is this same question being answered on another thread? if so, I'm sorry to be redundant, but it's hard to keep track; here are so many movie threads these days).

Anyway, mine would be Little Miss Sunshine, probably. But with The Prestige a close second and maybe The Departed third (tarnished, IMO, by the ending). Oh, The Queen is in there somewhere, too. Maybe tied with The Departed.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 02:40:16 pm »
I don't think I've seen it yet.  At least I hope not, because everything I've seen thus far has been varying degrees of lackluster.  Or has BBM just ruined enjoying mediocre movies for me?

I'm hoping United 93 fixes that.  I'm actually hoping to be haunted again, but by something different.  I can't stand this no more, Jack.

No more beans!

Scott6373

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 03:04:46 pm »
United 93
Letters from Iwo Jima
Little Miss Sunshine
The Illusionist
The Departed

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 04:43:25 pm »
I think BBM deserves to be the Best Movie of the Year for at least two years (depending on where and when it opened). I know it will be MY best movie of the year every year from now on!

i agree! To me, Brokeback Mountain is the best movie of 2006. It opened here in Belgium on february 22nd.

Anyway, mine would be Little Miss Sunshine, probably.

and i agree again! i really liked that movie. But Babel was also very, very good. Intens and very powerful.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
Best for Guardian Unlimited
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 02:22:21 am »
http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1997585,00.html

It may have lost out to Crash at the 2006 Oscars, but it was still the best picture for Guardian Unlimited Film users - Brokeback Mountain, Ang Lee's adaptation of the Annie Proulx cowboy romance, topped the annual users' poll, ahead of Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man and Michael Haneke's Hidden.

The rest of the top 20 was an eclectic one, encompassing the virtually wordless poetry of Terrence Malick's The New World to the rotoscope animation of Richard Linklater's A Scanner Darkly, and including such awards-neglected gems as The Death of Mr Lazarescu, Keane and L'Enfant.

The list in full:
1 Brokeback Mountain
2 Grizzly Man
3 Hidden/Caché
4 The New World
5 Pan's Labyrinth
6 Brick
7 United 93
8 Junebug
9 A Scanner Darkly
10 a tie between The Departed and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
12 The Death of Mr Lazarescu
13 Inside Man
14 Keane
15 Children of Men
16 L'Enfant
17 The Host
18 The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
19 Volver
20 Munich.

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 06:12:52 pm »

Here is yet another awsome review of our favourite movie, and it was written just days ago!   :o  It's a real good one, so here you go:

http://www.the-trades.com/article.php?id=5179

Brokeback Mountain (Collector's Edition)      
DVD Review by Andrea Maclam
Published: February 1, 2007

No, I have NOT been hiding in a cave. But this was my first viewing of the Academy Award winning film, and I have to wonder why I missed it on the big screen.

Yes, everyone knows the gist of the movie. As I was told by several people, it's about gay cowboys. But I disagree. This is a love story, plain and simple. And what a grand love story it is. Forced together by employment, they grudgingly become friends, and then, lovers. The fact that the players are MEN, and the time is a very unforgiving and closed-minded 1963, makes it that much more poignant and wrenching.

Allow me to share a quote that someone once sent me: "Love has no rules. It happens when we least expect it, often when we don't want it, many times when we can't handle it. It often times scares you, surprises you, shakes you down to your very core." But it's that kind of love that makes life worth living.

This isn't a romance, by any stretch of the imagination or definition, but there is a sense of romance there. It's not cute, it has its funny moments, but it's a very real portrayal of two people living double lives. Two people who have this deep, abiding, obsessive friendship and love for each other that time, distance, and other people simply cannot break. It's what we all search for: the kind of love that is timeless, the kind of love that we cannot live without.

It's the most beautiful movie I think I've ever seen.

My colleague, Raul Burriel, reviewed the movie upon it's release on DVD back in April. His review can be found here.

Before I get to the extras from this 2 DVD Collectors Edition, allow me to wax poetic about the performances, for a moment. Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal are brilliant in their portrayals of Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist respectively. I don't think I've ever seen two performances that tore my heart out, while lifting it up at the same time. I've loved them both since I saw "Donnie Darko" and "10 Things I Hate About You". They were such a joy to watch. Reaching down to the depths of his soul for this performance, Heath played Ennis's internalized struggle to maintain a level of normalcy with Alma and the children with such grace, and silent desperation to be with Jack, that I found myself despising poor Alma, who's only crime was loving a man who was unable to love her the way she needed. As Jack, an emotionally available Jake, whose gotta-love-me hang-dog puppy-eyes had me smiling from the beginning, managed to maintain normalcy with Lureen and Bobby, as well as his in-laws, but in every scene, his eyes hold some secret, and you know that he's thinking of Ennis.

Ledger plays the dual side of this affair to the hilt, in what has been the finest role yet in his young career. Ennis is both emotionally repressed, and yet liberated by his love for Jack. One minute he's tight lipped and distant, the next, emotional and vulnerable. Gyllenhaal is eager and open, no matter the disappointments he endures. He always believes that there is a time for the two of them (sorry, "West Side Story" moment), and his unfailing belief in that is what keeps Ennis anchored.

What else I enjoyed about this story was that the one who had the most to lose, Jack, was the one who was willing to chuck it all away and live with Ennis as an outsider. You know he would have been happy with the cabin, raising the sheep just the two of them. But as the witness of a hate crime when he was nine, Ennis cannot give in to this desire. He has to keep a hold on what society has drilled into him and in doing so, pushes Jack further and further away. And yet, love still endures, until the bitter end.

Bonus Features

I was hoping that this edition would have more bonus features than the original did. And, while I was right, I was also very disappointed in the bonus material. I agree with my colleague that a feature length commentary from any of the main players would have been welcome, but they still didn't put it on this one. Instead, we are treated to:

Music from the Mountain shows how the Academy Award winning score from Gustavo Santaolalla complemented the movie. Unless you are TRULY interested in music, or are planning on writing a score, it was a snooze.

Impressions from the Movie is nothing but a montage of photo stills set to the score. If I just watched the movie, why do I need to see those?

Sharing the Story: The Making of Brokeback Mountain wasn't too bad. It was interesting to see how the actors prepared for the movie, and to hear comments from all parties on everything from pre-production to the filiming itself.

From Script to Screen is interviews with Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana about the process of bringing this movie from short story to screen. While informative, it wasn't something the general public might want to see. Of course, I've been known to be wrong once in awhile.

A Groundbreaking Success discusses public reaction to the film, the industry's reaction to Ang Lee choosing to make the film, and the emotional impact it has had, not just in the gay community, but worldwide.

On Being a Cowboy is probably the most interesting feature out of them all. In this segment, Jake and Heath discuss their preparation for their roles, including cowboy boot camp.

I think it would have been very fascinating to see some outtakes, bloopers, or even the unedited footage, but alas, they did not appear. Nevertheless, it is worth picking up this Collectors Edition simply for the eight postcards that are included. They are beautiful, and will remind you always of what a groundbreaking, important and beautiful film this truly is.

A haunting commentary on society and gender roles, this movie is one for the ages. It will go down in cinematic history as one of the greatest love stories of our time.