Author Topic: Special BBM issue of 'Film Quarterly'  (Read 21610 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Special BBM issue of 'Film Quarterly'
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 08:26:08 am »
Bryan works downtown - had ta go ta a few places before he found a copy for me. (So much fer 'The Biggest Little Bookstore's' reputation - they don't carry that magazine!) - Said he paid over 10$CN for the issue.

He'll be over on Thrusday - then I get ta read my own copy!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 04:05:54 pm by Sheriff Roland »
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 09:26:30 am »
I bought mine today.  So far I'm reading the third aritcle of eight, and tell you what, it has nothing on BetterMost in the analysis department.  I haven't learned much new yet.  A couple of neat aspects I will quote and post about later.

Oh, please do! I want to know if it's worth getting my wallet open for this issue. they charge 20 dollars for oversees shipping!

any good pictures? 

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

moremojo

Missing pages?
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 08:57:51 pm »
Howdy, gang--

I've had a chance to peruse this issue more fully, and I was struck by an apparent omission of possibly up to six pages of text in the special section devoted to Brokeback Mountain! I've not yet had occasion to seek out any other copies for comparison, but it does look like these pages were omitted from the printing altogether and were not, say, torn out of this particular copy by some avid reader.

Firstly, Ara Osterweil's article 'Ang Lee's Lonesome Cowboys' (the fifth item in the special section) begins on page 38, and continues onto page 40, which is faced by an unnumbered page containing an ad pertaining to reprints and copyright permission regarding University of California Press materials. On the verso of this advertisement page, the page is numbered 44, and here begins B. Ruby Rich's article 'Brokering Brokeback: Jokes, Backlashes, and Other Anxieties'! What happened to pages 41 through 43, and the assumed ending of Osterweil's piece?

There is a second similar incongruency with D.A. Miller's article 'On the Universality of Brokeback Mountain' (the seventh item in the special section), which begins on page 50, and is cut off in media res on page 58, which is faced by an unnumbered page containing an ad for the University of Texas Press. On the verso of this advertisement page, we see the beginning of of Joshua Clover and Christopher Nealon's article 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell Me', which begins on page 62!

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of purchasing their own copy of this issue. You might want to check for these anomalies first before investing in the product.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 10:09:10 pm »
I can hear my Granny now "It's them Russians!" :laugh:

Thanks for the heads up thought, I will be looking for this.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 05:45:57 am »

Oh, please do! I want to know if it's worth getting my wallet open for this issue. they charge 20 dollars for oversees shipping!

any good pictures? 

Fabienne - Rather than pay for the shipping why not let me (or someone) get one for you and you can take it home with you from Alberta? Just say some little word about this and I'll order another one.

I just ordered mine last night. I misread what I saw on the website a few days ago and thought that each issue was $40.00 instead of $10.00. The $40.00 was for a year's subscription.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 05:53:06 am »
Fabienne - Rather than pay for the shipping why not let me (or someone) get one for you and you can take it home with you from Alberta? Just say some little word about this and I'll order another one.

I just ordered mine last night. I misread what I saw on the website a few days ago and thought that each issue was $40.00 instead of $10.00. The $40.00 was for a year's subscription.

Oh yes please! That would be wonderful Lauren, thanks. :)

I'll have something to read on the long flight home...
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: Missing pages?
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 07:13:20 am »
Howdy, gang--

I've had a chance to peruse this issue more fully, and I was struck by an apparent omission of possibly up to six pages of text in the special section devoted to Brokeback Mountain! I've not yet had occasion to seek out any other copies for comparison, but it does look like these pages were omitted from the printing altogether and were not, say, torn out of this particular copy by some avid reader.

Firstly, Ara Osterweil's article 'Ang Lee's Lonesome Cowboys' (the fifth item in the special section) begins on page 38, and continues onto page 40, which is faced by an unnumbered page containing an ad pertaining to reprints and copyright permission regarding University of California Press materials. On the verso of this advertisement page, the page is numbered 44, and here begins B. Ruby Rich's article 'Brokering Brokeback: Jokes, Backlashes, and Other Anxieties'! What happened to pages 41 through 43, and the assumed ending of Osterweil's piece?

There is a second similar incongruency with D.A. Miller's article 'On the Universality of Brokeback Mountain' (the seventh item in the special section), which begins on page 50, and is cut off in media res on page 58, which is faced by an unnumbered page containing an ad for the University of Texas Press. On the verso of this advertisement page, we see the beginning of of Joshua Clover and Christopher Nealon's article 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell Me', which begins on page 62!

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of purchasing their own copy of this issue. You might want to check for these anomalies first before investing in the product.

Bryan tells me (over the phone, this morning) that the same problem exists with copies on Toronto bookshelves. Guess we need to complain to the publishers(?)
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 03:12:24 am »
My copy looks intact.  I have all the numbered pages I should.  Interestingly - and surely coincidentally(?) - page 59 has a black and white photo of two nekkid young fellas tumbling together in the grass.  Your copies couldn't have been censored for that, could they?

Fabienne, there is an entire article that would probably be worth it to you by itself - it's about the phenomenon of love stories about young gay men, written by women for women.   Apparently much more common in parts of Asia, and theorized to have influenced Ang.  The article suggests looking up the word "yaoi" on Amazon.

Offline oilgun

Re: Missing pages?
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 07:01:53 pm »
Bryan tells me (over the phone, this morning) that the same problem exists with copies on Toronto bookshelves. Guess we need to complain to the publishers(?)

I can confirm that, I just bought my copy, which was sealed, and the pages mentioned are indeed missing!  What a bummer, I really had to search to find a copy.  I guess I'll have to get my money back from Indigo, pronto!

Edit:  Damn,  I don't have the receipt so I may have trouble getting a refund. 
Could someone who has the missing pages scan and post them, I'd really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 07:06:57 pm by oilgun »

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 02:36:19 am »
I can confirm that, I just bought my copy, which was sealed, and the pages mentioned are indeed missing!  What a bummer, I really had to search to find a copy.  I guess I'll have to get my money back from Indigo, pronto!

Edit:  Damn,  I don't have the receipt so I may have trouble getting a refund. 
Could someone who has the missing pages scan and post them, I'd really appreciate it.

No can scan, but LOVE your avatar, oilgun.  :)