Author Topic: "Brokeback from the Pulpit"-Cowichan Valley News Leader-Duncan, BC, CA  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Here is a short article I found in a British Columbia, Canada news source.  I found the perspectives of the  heterosexual male reviewer and a Christian minister refreshing after some of the negativity south of the Canadian border.

The Reviewer (Rick Dennis):

"As a middle-aged heterosexual male I approached the subject matter with some trepidation as well but by the end of the film I had to admit the emotions invoked make a convincing case for the argument that true love can transcend gender and societal norms and arouse feelings of pain and longing as intense as any union of soul and body."

The Minister (Rev. Murray Groom):
"It's an excellent movie, well deserving of the awards it has received, and raises serious questions about homophobia in America (and Canada). My sense is that many men assume it's a 'gay' movie and are inclined to avoid it as a result. After seeing it, I'd describe it as a movie about men and their relationships - with their wives, with their children, their in-laws, their parents and most significantly, with each other. "

He goes on to speak about the Christian imagery and the parallels with the Matthew Shepherd murder.

The full text of the article is here:

http://www.cowichannewsleader.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=9&cat=44&id=634280&more=

Thank you,
Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline juneaux

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Thanks, Lynne, for sharing thiis article.

J.
Truth never damages a cause that is just.
~Mohandas Gandhi