Author Topic: What exactly is a "croppie house"?  (Read 7722 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: What exactly is a "croppie house"?
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 01:48:12 am »
Bob says there used to be crappie fish AN D bass in the lagoon near his house (south side Chicago, Illinois), and they asre definitely two different fish. The bass is nice and solid and cooks up nice; the crappie is softer and less pleasant. Bass are somewhast larger than crappies (which he promounced "crappie" but was not unfamiliar with the "croppie" pronounciation.

Said the city would stock the lagoon with these fish every spring, and what were not caught would die off during the cold of the winter.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 02:44:43 am by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 09:42:53 am »
Interesting point about the use of the term "fishing camp." Those same relatives of my dad who fish with him for crappies use the term "camp" for the kind of small house that might elsewhere be termed a cabin. As in "hunting camp" rather than "hunting cabin." Put another way, where Ennis speaks of "Don Wroe's cabin," my dad's cousins would probably say, "Don Wroe's camp." But they would mean a cabin.

Up here in Maine, we definitely have "camps."  Fishing camp, hunting camp etc. "We're going up to camp" is a common expression.

My parents always had a summer cottage (not camp, not cabin) but that was over in NH. LOL
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 10:03:39 am »

Delayed but sincere bellows of laughter at the crappie special.
 ;D