Author Topic: Would it have worked? Merged with "Would a SWEET LIFE ever have been possible?"  (Read 51979 times)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Bump for reading or re-reading :)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Gidday everyone....im new here to this board, and have just read some of the posts to this thread, and I want to tell you a story....a real story....

Back in 1958, when I was 7 yrs old, my father separated from my mother, so he could live with his male lover.In those days it was illegal to live as a homosexual, and so my dad and his partner told everyone that they were brothers. Dads partner changed his name by deed poll to dads name, so it was all legal, and people accepted that they were brothers.

When they first got together they travelled around australia for about 6 months, not staying in one place for more than a few weeks, but after that they finally bought a small property in a rural area, grew fruit, and became part of the community.All those years, and their friends and neighbours and business aquaintances, thought of them as brothers.

Even back then, my father was not ashamed of his sexuality, but it was because they risked prosecuition if their lifestyle became public.

Me and my sister, loved his partner like a big brother, and he loved us too, and used to take us to the movies and luna park and things like that.  It wasnt until i was 17 and about to be married, that my dad sat me down and actually told me that he and his partner were homosexual and that they were lovers...It didnt come as too much of a shock to me, because in my own way i think I knew there was something special about the two of them anyway, something that i had accepted most of my life, and had got used to anyway.I cant say it was easy growing up and having my dad meet some of my school friends and such, and me trying to explain who is partner was, i used to just say he was my uncle.

They were together for 14years, and it wasnt financial problems that happened between them, Dads partner, who had taken on the role of "housewife" in the relationship, started to get sick of being the "housewife"...cooking, cleaning, washing etc...and he asked a pen friend he had in south africa if she would like to come out and stay with them for a while.

Well stay she did, a romance of some sorts developed and she and dads partner married.

That left Dad as the odd man out, and so he left the home and went away to wander the country on his own.Eventually the loneliness became too much for him and he committed suicide.

I lost contact with dad's partner after that.

I guess that is why when i first saw the movie BBM, i walked out of the theatre thinking that someone had used part of my life for the story, it completely overwhelmed me with sadness.

But it made me do a couple of things, of which i am very proud of...you see, i never had to or needed to ever have to forgive my dad for being gay, to me it was not an issue...but i had NEVER forgiven him for taking his own life, but after seeing the movie, i finally realized the depth of his love for his partner, the agony he must have gone thru when it was over, and the despair of never being able to have it again. So i finally forgave him for putting an end to his own suffering, his own sadness.

Secondly, i used the net to find my dads ex-partner, and phoned him.I told him I had seen the movie and told him how much it affected me, and he was so happy to hear from me.He is still married to the same lady, although he did admit to me that he has always and will always have gay tendencies, but him and his wife have worked that out.He also told me that he has two sons, in their twenties, and one of them is gay and iving in a relationship with a young man. I have since visited him and his wife, and it was like seeing my long lost older brother...he is 60 now.We communicate reguarly now, and it is good to be able to talk to him about my dad, who he said, he never stopped loving, and being older now, I understand a lot of things a lot better now too.

So you can see why this wonderful movie touched me so much,and like everyone else, I wished that Ennis and Jack could have had a good safe life together...My mum went on to remarry and get on with her life, me and my sister, still grew up in a loving family, and knew that our dad loved us, and his partner loved us too.It could have happened for Jack and Ennis, and everyone would have survived.......

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Hi everyone,

Ever wondered what might have happened in our film if that cow and calf operation had really been born circa 1967?  Let's imagine for a second that Jack and Ennis had set up life together and pursued Jack's utopian ideal -- and then imagine that although society possibly did not accept them, it at least left them alone and let them somewhat prosper.  Could it have ever really worked, even if those external barriers were lifted?   

Not in my mind.  Ennis is his own nemesis, and I wonder how long it would have taken Jack to "quit." 

Anyone have any feelings on this or even on their own "quitting" or limits? 

rt

It would have been hard but that's not the point, IMO. Even if the little cow and calf operation would've failed Ennis and Jack would always have the sastisfaction of having tried it. They could've never changed society's homophobia, but at least they would've made a difference in their own lives. The idea of being together would've probably forced them to try harder, move someplace else where they could be together. I don't picture them dying from hunger. Besides, they could always go back to Lightning Flat and make a life there. But even if one of them was killed, as Ennis feared, it would've hurt but at least the reamining one would have some memories to live by. Ennis tragedy in my opinion is that he realizes too late what Jack really meant to him. Then he finds himself all alone with a life full of regrets, and a very few memories of Jack. That's why in the end he says "I swear...", apologizing to Jack for the way he treated him, and not letting him know how much he loved him. Ennis spent his life away from Jack fearing death, but death came anyway and took away what he loved the most.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 11:44:42 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline opinionista

Gidday everyone....im new here to this board, and have just read some of the posts to this thread, and I want to tell you a story....a real story....

Back in 1958, when I was 7 yrs old, my father separated from my mother, so he could live with his male lover.In those days it was illegal to live as a homosexual, and so my dad and his partner told everyone that they were brothers. Dads partner changed his name by deed poll to dads name, so it was all legal, and people accepted that they were brothers.

When they first got together they travelled around australia for about 6 months, not staying in one place for more than a few weeks, but after that they finally bought a small property in a rural area, grew fruit, and became part of the community.All those years, and their friends and neighbours and business aquaintances, thought of them as brothers.

Even back then, my father was not ashamed of his sexuality, but it was because they risked prosecuition if their lifestyle became public.

Me and my sister, loved his partner like a big brother, and he loved us too, and used to take us to the movies and luna park and things like that.  It wasnt until i was 17 and about to be married, that my dad sat me down and actually told me that he and his partner were homosexual and that they were lovers...It didnt come as too much of a shock to me, because in my own way i think I knew there was something special about the two of them anyway, something that i had accepted most of my life, and had got used to anyway.I cant say it was easy growing up and having my dad meet some of my school friends and such, and me trying to explain who is partner was, i used to just say he was my uncle.

They were together for 14years, and it wasnt financial problems that happened between them, Dads partner, who had taken on the role of "housewife" in the relationship, started to get sick of being the "housewife"...cooking, cleaning, washing etc...and he asked a pen friend he had in south africa if she would like to come out and stay with them for a while.

Well stay she did, a romance of some sorts developed and she and dads partner married.

That left Dad as the odd man out, and so he left the home and went away to wander the country on his own.Eventually the loneliness became too much for him and he committed suicide.

I lost contact with dad's partner after that.

I guess that is why when i first saw the movie BBM, i walked out of the theatre thinking that someone had used part of my life for the story, it completely overwhelmed me with sadness.

But it made me do a couple of things, of which i am very proud of...you see, i never had to or needed to ever have to forgive my dad for being gay, to me it was not an issue...but i had NEVER forgiven him for taking his own life, but after seeing the movie, i finally realized the depth of his love for his partner, the agony he must have gone thru when it was over, and the despair of never being able to have it again. So i finally forgave him for putting an end to his own suffering, his own sadness.

Secondly, i used the net to find my dads ex-partner, and phoned him.I told him I had seen the movie and told him how much it affected me, and he was so happy to hear from me.He is still married to the same lady, although he did admit to me that he has always and will always have gay tendencies, but him and his wife have worked that out.He also told me that he has two sons, in their twenties, and one of them is gay and iving in a relationship with a young man. I have since visited him and his wife, and it was like seeing my long lost older brother...he is 60 now.We communicate reguarly now, and it is good to be able to talk to him about my dad, who he said, he never stopped loving, and being older now, I understand a lot of things a lot better now too.

So you can see why this wonderful movie touched me so much,and like everyone else, I wished that Ennis and Jack could have had a good safe life together...My mum went on to remarry and get on with her life, me and my sister, still grew up in a loving family, and knew that our dad loved us, and his partner loved us too.It could have happened for Jack and Ennis, and everyone would have survived.......

Katie,

Thank you so much for telling your story. I'm very sorry to what happened to your Dad. Suicides are always hard to deal with. But you certainly are a strong woman, and I'm glad you've found a way to heal. A big hug for you.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..

Glad you posted this here, Sue... :)
Chut up!

Offline YaadPyar

Thank you so much for sharing this story, Katie.  It's the reality of what love unlived and unexpressed does to us and the people we know that hits so hard with BBM.  It's wonderful that there's been healing for you in all of this.  I'm always touched by BBM stories - it strengthens my committment to be someone who lives differently.

Thanks again and welcome.  So glad to have your voice and presence here.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
wow, Katie, i don't have the words...
i can't iamgine..that movie touched all of us so deeply, how must it have been for you..i hope you didn't see it alone...sorry about your dad...so so sorry...
you are an inspiration,,,,
gaylee
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Katie, this just repeats what everyone else said, but thank you for sharing the story. It brought tears to my eyes, despite -- or maybe because of -- the matter-of-fact and even optimistic way you told it. Still, it must have been hard to go through. You have my admiration for what you have done with the experience.

I am glad to have you here in the BetterMost community.

Katherine

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..

Katie's story gives a new perspective on stuff, hunh?
Chut up!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
My god, friend,

I knew from your posts on yahoo there was a story there. I am glad you have told it. This is a powerful thing.

How wonderful you were able to find his partner and be in touch with him. In some ways we are fortunate for the times in which we live. I think your fathers story will be an important one to history and I encourage you to perserve it.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."