Author Topic: Why I Love CASSIE  (Read 7708 times)

rtprod

Why I Love CASSIE
« on: April 26, 2006, 11:53:27 am »
Hi everyone,

I'll never forget first seeing Linda Cardellini in Scooby Doo and Scooby Doo 2 (never watched ER), and remarking to people how terrific her performances were in those films (to raised eyebrows no less), particularly in the second film when she's crushing on Seth Green (now that's acting). 

However, for some reason I feel really attached to her in Brokeback, she has such a warmth and generosity of spirit, so embracing, so lively and full of feelings.  She really takes that little role and runs with it, and the pathos is affecting. 

I grew up in a small town like Riverton, and Cassie would have been a great catch if my life hadn't been as it is (*clears throat*).  Funny how Ennis never really thinks of her as much more than some waitress who wants to go to nursing school or something.  Maybe it's Cassie, maybe it's Cardellini, but that small role really hits me.  She's got a lot of vitality, that's for sure. 

Hope she ended up happy. 

rt
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 01:05:08 pm by rtprod »

dmmb_Mandy

Re: Why I Love CASSIE
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 12:08:55 pm »
I was thinking about her the other day. I loved her ability to take charge and move in on Ennis, 'cause you know he wouldn't make the first move. She provided new fun and excitement for Ennis, and a bit of a distraction from his daily pain, even if only temporary.

I agree, Cardellini did a great job.

I hope Carl treats her well.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 12:29:43 pm »
I hope Carl treats her well.

Carl? He's nice. But girls don't fall in love with nice.

RT, thanks for introducing some interesting new discussion points. Please keep it up! I like Cassie a lot, too. Bolder even than Lureen, she goes after that cute taciturn guy (and who wouldn't?) even though he doesn't seem all that receptive and she has to make all the moves.

As I timidly confessed on another thread, I like her better than Alma and have more sympathy for her. Yes, Alma had a sad marriage, but she was also kind of whiny and naggy and wimpy (long before she finds out about Jack). If Jack weren't in the picture and Ennis were straight he still might easily have gotten bored with her. Cassie has much more spirit.

Not enough to impress Ennis, though. I feel sorry for both of them in that pie scene.

rtprod

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 01:44:08 pm »
How about a little more love for Cassie guys, this thread is dropping like a rock...    ;D

rt 

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 01:47:59 pm »
I really liked Cassie too.  She was just a girl trying to make it in the big world and find Mr. Right Cowboy.  Poor thing got caught tangled up with a gay man.  But really, she was honest, cute, sexy, likeable, etc.  I thought Linda did an excellent job with the role.

rtprod

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 02:16:10 pm »
Poor thing got caught tangled up with a gay man.

Why did that just make me laugh?

I'm in an evil mood, that's why... 

where did that devil go anyway... (uh, talking about the missing emoticon and not former posters) lol

rt
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 02:20:17 pm by rtprod »

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 02:19:04 pm »
I like Cassie's outfit when she first shows up... ok, that's pretty surface, but she made those short shorts and hair sprayed hair look good!

Great threads, rt! Thanks for that!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

rtprod

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 02:21:43 pm »
Great threads, rt! Thanks for that!

hey little,

THANKS, and plenty more to come. 

But wait -- what about Cassie's shoes when she walks up to the jukebox? 

rt

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 02:24:27 pm »
Not to mention her tube top.

RT, thanks again for coming up with so many good new threads. I have been sad lately, thinking that by now we must have hashed over every single second, angle, moment, metaphor, question and implication of this movie. I'm so glad you're finding ways to prove that's not the case!

rtprod

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 02:34:42 pm »
RT, thanks again for coming up with so many good new threads. I have been sad lately, thinking that by now we must have hashed over every single second, angle, moment, metaphor, question and implication of this movie. I'm so glad you're finding ways to prove that's not the case!

Lat, you are so cool for saying that, my pleasure and I'll think up some more....  You're nice.   :)

rt