Author Topic: Jack and Ennis: ECONOMIC DIVIDE, HELPING HAND?  (Read 9381 times)

rtprod

Jack and Ennis: ECONOMIC DIVIDE, HELPING HAND?
« on: April 26, 2006, 12:46:02 pm »
Hi everyone,

We never talk much about this, but in the lake scene the economic subtext that comes to the fore about Ennis' lack of success and forward economic motion in life always really affects me, perhaps because I feel something deep for Ennis.  "You forget what it's like being broke all the time.  You ever hear of child support?"   It's also there when we see Ennis bailing hay while Jack is selling farm equipment.  And it's there in the line about how his truck "won't make it" to Texas.  Also, the little shack he is living in after the divorce. Reminds me of a lot of guys in my hometown, who didn't ever leave there (physically or otherwise), instead got tangled up in shit and are still doing like Ennis.  I'm not friends with any of them anymore--I went on and lived in a city, started a different life.  But I hear tales...

Anyway, wonder if Jack ever felt inclined to help Ennis out financially, and if Ennis would have been able to accept.  Jack obviously saw and knew about all of the lost jobs, hard times and dead ends Ennis experienced. 

rt

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 12:51:06 pm by rtprod »

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Jack and Ennis: ECONOMIC DIVIDE, HELPING HAND?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 12:52:28 pm »
I think Ennis would have refused any help from Jack financially.   Too much pride.   

As far as bettering himself and his family,  heck, he wouldn't even consider getting a better job, ie: at the power plant, when Alma suggested it.    Perhpas he was embarrassed that he didn't have a High School diploma?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 12:52:51 pm »
I guess I'd like to believe Jack might have wanted to help. But to offer, I'm certain, would have hurt Ennis's pride enormously. Like Alma's slap at him, that she'd have more of his kids if he'd support them.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

rtprod

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 12:56:06 pm »
he wouldn't even consider getting a better job, ie: at the power plant, when Alma suggested it. 

Think he wouldn't take it because full-time would have interfered with the trips. 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 01:03:43 pm »
he wouldn't even consider getting a better job, ie: at the power plant, when Alma suggested it. 

Think he wouldn't take it because full-time would have interfered with the trips. 

I guess it would have, but, tell you what, I think Ennis really enjoyed ranch work. I don't have a copy of the story with me here at work, but my memory is that the word Annie Proulx uses to describe his attraction to it is yearning.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 01:07:30 pm »

True, but he was working those types of jobs even before Jack showed up four years later.   

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 01:20:52 pm »
My interpretation of the power-plant question, based on context (he's about to go off with Jack), his flimsy excuse for not applying, and his later remark that in them days he'd just quit the job, is that he wanted more freedom to see Jack.

But back to RT's original question. Jack does offer to help out Ennis financially, and gets harshly rebuffed, that first summer as they're packing up to leave the mountain. Granted, Ennis reacts that way because he's distraught that their time together is ending, and because he's angry that Jack doesn't read between the lines and understand the real reason he's so upset, and because Jack seems so cheerful himself. But Jack seems to take the exchange more literally, which may be what keeps him from ever offering again.

But if he did, I don't think Ennis would have accepted.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 01:27:34 pm by latjoreme »

rtprod

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 01:32:22 pm »
Right about the offer up on the mountain in 1963, but at that time they were two kids on equal terms.

When the rising economic inequity over the years was apparent to both, with Jack aware of Ennis' back-breaking work to pay child support and just survive, I was wondering why he never offered. 

rt

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 01:49:14 pm »
Right about the offer up on the mountain in 1963, but at that time they were two kids on equal terms.

When the rising economic inequity over the years was apparent to both, with Jack aware of Ennis' back-breaking work to pay child support and just survive, I was wondering why he never offered. 

rt

Well, what I meant was Jack took from that exchange the message that Ennis was too proud to accept a handout, and perhaps assumed that pride still existed as their economic gap widened.  (And by the way, even then they weren't quite on equal terms.)

Of course, Jack SORT OF offers financial help through his proposal that they take LD Newsome's money and set up ranching. And Ennis rejects that, too, though obviously for more complicated reasons. And in the years that follow, by always being the one to drive up to Wyoming, Jack takes on a slightly greater financial burden.

But I think Jack assumes correctly that if he offered anything more substantial, Ennis would repeat his "I aint in the poorhouse, you know" response.

rtprod

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 02:24:53 pm »
Lat, you just might be right about that one. 

I would have done it in other ways than just trying to write him a check.  For instance, bought him some new clothes maybe, a downpayment for a decent place to live, or a better truck. 

rt