Author Topic: PERFECT, but...  (Read 32462 times)

rtprod

PERFECT, but...
« on: April 26, 2006, 01:13:35 pm »
I'm sure I'm going to catch HELL for this one but I'll jump into the void nonetheless.  Here goes:

Our film is as close to perfect as a movie can get, and god knows we agree on this for every reason under the sun.  But let's just say you can "come clean" and offer one area where you might make a change or even a subtle improvement -- the directing of a scene, something more from a performance, a close-up you wish were there, a deleted scene you wish had made it, score under a scene where it wasn't, etc.   

I'll go first: 

1. Since the Independent Spirit Awards broadcast when the montage was shown with the extended closet scene and Heath's river of tears, I've thought about, maybe even wished, that were in the final cut. 

2. I think when Lureen says "You've been goin' up there all these years" it is a bit of a stretch, since they were just reunited not long before and the time passage montage may have rushed things a tiny bit.

One rule here -- no "it's perfect as it is" posts -- LOL.  Even though we all know it is perfect as it is. 

Get your tomatoes ready, I'm ducking for cover.   ;D

rt
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 01:15:43 pm by rtprod »

EnnisDelMar

Re: PERFECT, but...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 01:17:27 pm »
What? I want to hear more about this extended Heath scene...

I Might* have added a quick flashback during the closet scene to show what two shirts those really were. A lot of people who did not read the short story thought, for whatever reason, that those were the shirts Jack died in.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 01:19:04 pm by EnnisDelMar »

rtprod

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 01:20:34 pm »
Little D, can't believe you haven't seen that -- I have it on tape somewhere, will find a way to get it to you. 

It is a truly awesome moment.  He picks up the shirts, does what we see in the final cut, then stumbles, leans against the wall, clutches the shirts and...bawls. 

I'll get it to you.   ;)

rt

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 01:21:08 pm »
 :o PLEASE do!

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 01:21:58 pm »
LOL - don't worry about it.  Every film has a moment or two.  We've all just seen THIS one SOOOO many times!

There are two small moments when I personally can hear Heath's Aussie accent slip out - when he leaves the apartment with Jack and tells Alma about the shirts - I can hear the Aussie accent when he says "top pocket of my blue shirt," and at some point in the Ennis-Alma grocery store scene he ends a sentence with ".... the girls" - girls being spoken iin Aussie speak.

Also, one continuity error - when they first meet at Aguirre's office in 1963 the church steeple in the background is on the right of Aguirre's office/trailer.   When Jack goes back the next year, same shot, the church steeple is on the left of Aguirre's office.

Also, people have mentioned more than once than in one shot Heath's wrist tatoos are visible.  

rtprod

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 01:26:53 pm »
PLEASE do!

Okay already, hand-delivered.  tehe.   ;D

Oh, hi everyone. 

rt 

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 01:28:34 pm »
Heath's wrist tattoos are visable in lots of scenes.

But back on Topic.  You know, I wish there was just one more scene of them being 'romantic' or something up on the mountain.  Maybe them holding eachother by the fire one night sharing a cigarette or something.  It would have only needed to be 10-15 seconds long.  I feel it would have added much more to the 'argument' some others have that they didn't belive their chemistry or didn't believe they were in love.

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 01:32:15 pm »
I agree with Eric about wanting another romantic scene. I understand why it's not there, but it would be nice.

Also, this may not be what you're looking for, but I really hate when the girls are asking if Ennis will be home in time for the church picnic. Something about their voices just gets on my nerves.

Is this extended scene with the shirts on youtube or anything? I didn't know that existed. I wanna see!

rtprod

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 01:33:39 pm »
Dunno if it's on You-Tube.

However, I love that scene about the church picnic because it affords me one of my favorite BBM pleasures, Heath's drawling delivery of this line:

"Well all right, as long as I don't have to saaaang."

Awesomely said...

rt
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 01:37:54 pm by rtprod »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 01:34:29 pm »
You mean there was a sequence of Ennis crying over the shirts? Damn!

I've caught hell for this one elsewhere already, but I'll repeat it anyway. In the scene where Jack shoots at the coyote and misses, it looks to me like Jake isn't even trying to aim that rifle. Yes, Jack is supposed to be a lousy shot, but, like I said, it looks to me like he isn't even trying.

Also, something that would only interest or be noticed by a train buff like me: That train that goes by while Ennis is waiting outside Joe Aguirre's office isn't "period" for 1963. The train has no caboose on the end. In 1963 a freight train in the U.S. would still have had a caboose. And the freight cars that we can see as the train rolls off into the distance and Jack drives up aren't "period" either.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.