Author Topic: PERFECT, but...  (Read 32106 times)

rtprod

Re: PERFECT, but...
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2006, 04:09:01 pm »
Just like this pic...Oh how I wish we could have seen this scene.

Me too.  In a way, Ang tipped the scales a bit conservatively where the relationship is concerned.  Given that there was considerable cutting room floor action, I could have stood a few more scenes of warmth and love.  Makes the loss even harder.

rt

rtprod

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2006, 04:11:58 pm »
  RT - now you've done it!!  You simply must post that extended scene - there will be no living with us until you find it and let us see for ourselves - like elephants - we don't forget!...............................

Well, I did it to myself didn't I?  I'll see if I can find it amidst the unlabeled tapes...

Like I recently told someone else on a different subject:  Will = way. 

;)

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2006, 04:19:57 pm »
I know this has been discussed before, but I really hated Bobby's "I'm gonna be eatin' this food for the next two weeks."

MandyI - Awwwww... I loved "I'm nothin'. I'm nowhere." To each their own, I suppose  :)

Bee - I agree, I would have liked to have seen a flashback during the closet scene. My mom, for example, didn't understand that those were the shirts during their "fight", she thought they were just two of Jack's shirts. And that is such a crucial aspect of the film.

RT - Good thread, thanks for starting it.  :-*

Also, I would have liked to have seen another tender moment between Jack & Ennis. I mean I know Ang (..etc) purposely held back, but I would have liked just another glimpse. A touch, a look between them, anything..
AH, rt, you replied while I was typing saying the same thing..

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2006, 04:41:21 pm »
Just like this pic...Oh how I wish we could have seen this scene.

What a great pic! I hadn't seen that before! Ennis sure has his eyes on something special...  ::)

Mandy (LG), I like the way you think.  And I agree with you about the "I'm nothing... I'm nowhere" line reading.  Took me out of it for a second, too.  Still does every time.  (Sorry, RT!  --ducking and running-- )  And as much as it *pains* me to admit it, I have to agree with you, Julie, that I have the same problem with Jake's line reading of "You'd be better OFF sleepin' in the tent."  He definitely put the accENT on the wrong syll-Ah-ble there.  I'd have said it more evenly throughout, putting a slight crescendo on the word "tent" instead of on "off" - just more like the rhythm of the way people really talk.

Also, I'd have cast a little girl who has BROWN eyes and STRAIGHT hair to play the young Alma, Jr.  I realize a little bit of nepotism was at play there, but tough tooty - she coulda been a featured extra in the fireworks scene instead.

Oh, and I'd have cast ANYONE other than the one who played Bobby.  Or at least trained him some more on how to properly deliver his only line.

And I agree with you, Julie - I wish they'd kept the "Little darlin'" and the "I shoulda never let you outta my sights" in it in the *worst* way.  But I have to say that I would have found a flashback to the fight pandering in the bedroom scene.  Though I would have liked to see the extended scene preserved very much, too.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 04:48:56 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2006, 05:07:19 pm »
I want the extended scene too, please!

Why do you think Ennis would have never threatened to kill Jack? IMO, it seems to match his angry behavior throughout the movie.
I really like that part too. It's one of my faves.
What I don't know, all them things I don't know, could get you killed if I come to know 'em!
And of course, if we didn't have that line, we wouldn't have this beautiful line:
...and then tell me you'd kill me for needin' something I don't hardly ever get.

I'm sorry if I'm off a word or two. I don't have my book with me.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2006, 05:13:32 pm »
OK, that's it, I'm startin a thread about that killin line.

BTW, maybe I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't want "little darlin" and those other Story Ennis lines in the movie. It would alter Movie Ennis' character and change everything.

But another endearment or two from Ennis -- subtle, like "sending up a prayer of thanks," or even nonverbal -- would be welcome.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2006, 07:54:28 pm »
Have Jake redo the 'waiting for Ennis because the bear scared off the mules' scene.  His outburst at Ennis when he first shows up sounds forced.

and

I wish there had been a shot of Ennis looking up - just a quick glance - when Jack first drove off in the truck after coming down from BBM the first time.  It takes a bit of a stretch for anyone who hasn't read the short story to get that Ennis is upset about leaving Jack.  You have a reaction shot of Jack's regret, but not Ennis' and it looks like Ennis' reaction comes out of nowhere.  You have to really keep the fight on the mountain and Ennis pouting in mind to make sense of that scene.

and

'I wish I could quit you'.  The way Jake says it in the voiceover in the trailer sounds much better than it did in the movie.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2006, 08:07:17 pm »
What? I want to hear more about this extended Heath scene...

I Might* have added a quick flashback during the closet scene to show what two shirts those really were. A lot of people who did not read the short story thought, for whatever reason, that those were the shirts Jack died in.

i don't know. I got it in my first viewing and I had read the short story before hand. I think a flash back would have interrupted Ennis's moment as well as the intensity of the moment.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2006, 08:23:54 pm »
I leave for one day, and yall done lost your minds.

This movie is perfect.  Perfect, I tell you.  :-)))
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2006, 08:32:27 pm »
I agree about not wanting a flashback to the fight. It seems like it would interupt the scene in a weird way. People who don't get it can just watch it again.  ;D

And Mandy (LG), I agree about "I'm nothin, I'm nowhere." Sorry everyone!