Author Topic: PERFECT, but...  (Read 32363 times)

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: PERFECT, but...
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2006, 08:50:45 pm »
I agree about not wanting a flashback to the fight. It seems like it would interupt the scene in a weird way. People who don't get it can just watch it again.  ;D

And Mandy (LG), I agree about "I'm nothin, I'm nowhere." Sorry everyone!

I tell you, I can't speak for anyone else.  When I saw the movie for the first time (Christmas week), I knew exactly what those shirts were, and I had no idea about the ending.  I knew one of them died, thanks to a friends big mouth,  but those shirts blew me away.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2006, 09:21:50 pm »
I really hate when the girls are asking if Ennis will be home in time for the church picnic. Something about their voices just gets on my nerves.

Oh, I'm so with you Courtney.  I always snap out of the film and think "Jeez, they couldn't find a better take than that?"

Same with the last fight.  That fly on Heath's cheek just drives me bonkers.  I can't help staring at it.  Couldn't they have brushed it out?  Even thinking about it now gives me the wiggles.

And that moustache.  That goddamn moustache.  Really?  We have to have it?  Arrgh.

I can live without the extra lovin' scenes in the movie, but I am still royally peeved that they didn't include the goodies on the DVD.  Sneaky buggers.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2006, 09:50:34 pm »
I just thought of another one. I'll try not to be too specific because I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't noticed it yet. Ever since it was pointed out to me I can't help but be distracted. Hmm, how to put this delicately?

Makeup--campfire.

That's all I'm gonna say about it.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2006, 01:25:20 am »
I agree about not wanting a flashback to the fight. It seems like it would interupt the scene in a weird way. People who don't get it can just watch it again.  ;D

You're right about this part. By now, I can't put myself in the mindset of people coming in cold and not expecting the shirts to be there. But a flashback would be intrusive. So let those people read the short story four or five times, see the movie seven times, watch innumerable YouTube videos that also clearly indicate the origin of the shirts, and go on a message board and discuss the movie for three months or so. They'll figure it out.

I wish there had been a shot of Ennis looking up - just a quick glance - when Jack first drove off in the truck after coming down from BBM the first time.  It takes a bit of a stretch for anyone who hasn't read the short story to get that Ennis is upset about leaving Jack.  You have a reaction shot of Jack's regret, but not Ennis' and it looks like Ennis' reaction comes out of nowhere.  You have to really keep the fight on the mountain and Ennis pouting in mind to make sense of that scene.

I don't find that alley scene confusing. But him taking a quick glance at the truck pulling away would be nice!

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2006, 01:37:20 am »
Have Jake redo the 'waiting for Ennis because the bear scared off the mules' scene.  His outburst at Ennis when he first shows up sounds forced.

Interesting... I always thought that line was supposed to sound forced, because he wasn't really angry with Ennis, he was worried sick, he was just trying to sound angry... I think these are even the directions in the story to screenplay book... or maybe it's in the story? I don't know, but I read that somewhere... anyone?
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

vkm91941

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2006, 01:45:26 am »
Have Jake redo the 'waiting for Ennis because the bear scared off the mules' scene.  His outburst at Ennis when he first shows up sounds forced.

Interesting... I always thought that line was supposed to sound forced, because he wasn't really angry with Ennis, he was worried sick, he was just trying to sound angry... I think these are even the directions in the story to screenplay book... or maybe it's in the story? I don't know, but I read that somewhere... anyone?

From the Story to Screenplay book...

The campfire light flickers on Jack's face, he looks around at the surrounding forest.  Knows Ennis wouldn't lag..is clearly worried.........then we see Ennis ride into camp dismount somewhat obscured by the darkness.  Jack is more worried than angry and tries to disguise his concern with indignation.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2006, 02:41:15 am »
Thanks Vic! That's exactly what I was looking for...

If this is how it's supposed to be acted, then Jake's delivery seems right to me, but, then again, I'm really biased and irrationally love everything that has to do with Jake/Jack!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2006, 04:16:18 am »
I leave for one day, and yall done lost your minds.

This movie is perfect.  Perfect, I tell you.  :-)))

Hahahaha Flash!

The bit that drives me up the post is Munroe still sitting calmly in his chair, ashtray balanced on the arm after the "Jack Nasty" scene.  All that screaming and crying would have me bounding out of my seat in an instant.
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2006, 04:21:17 am »
I always thought they should have found another little girl to play three-year old Alma Jr.; She's cute but looks nothing like teenage Alma.

:(

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2006, 12:50:08 pm »
The bit that drives me up the post is Munroe still sitting calmly in his chair, ashtray balanced on the arm after the "Jack Nasty" scene.  All that screaming and crying would have me bounding out of my seat in an instant.

I don't think Monroe is in any hurry to tangle with Ennis, and this is just him putting it off as long as he reasonably can.