Author Topic: PERFECT, but...  (Read 32454 times)

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
Re: PERFECT, but...
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2006, 06:01:34 pm »
The bit that drives me up the post is Munroe still sitting calmly in his chair, ashtray balanced on the arm after the "Jack Nasty" scene.  All that screaming and crying would have me bounding out of my seat in an instant.

I don't think Monroe is in any hurry to tangle with Ennis, and this is just him putting it off as long as he reasonably can.

Sure, but as far as he knew Ennis was turning his wife into pulp in the kitchen sink.  You'd at least get out of the chair and stick your head through the door.  If Munroe didn't want to go fists with Ennis, he at least could have grabbed and extension cord and dragged the electric knife in to defend Alma.  Walk up and stick his cigar butt into his neck!  Something!
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2006, 06:50:43 pm »
dragged the electric knife in to defend Alma.

LOL, Ray!!! Having Monroe fight Ennis off using the electric knife as a weapon would have been a good ironic touch!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2006, 07:28:56 pm »
I leave for one day, and yall done lost your minds.

This movie is perfect.  Perfect, I tell you.  :-)))

Hahahaha Flash!

The bit that drives me up the post is Munroe still sitting calmly in his chair, ashtray balanced on the arm after the "Jack Nasty" scene.  All that screaming and crying would have me bounding out of my seat in an instant.

I figure they're trying to show that Monroe isn't a real man and Ennis is.  Yes, Ennis is so angry he's about to hit her, but I believe he would never actually do it.  Meanwhile, Monroe just sits there, showing how weak of a man he is, and also showing (intentionally or not, I don't know) that straight doesn't necessarily equal manly and gay doesn't necessarily equal otherwise.
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2006, 07:59:37 pm »
Have Jake redo the 'waiting for Ennis because the bear scared off the mules' scene.  His outburst at Ennis when he first shows up sounds forced.

Interesting... I always thought that line was supposed to sound forced, because he wasn't really angry with Ennis, he was worried sick, he was just trying to sound angry... I think these are even the directions in the story to screenplay book... or maybe it's in the story? I don't know, but I read that somewhere... anyone?

OK, maybe 'forced' was the wrong word.  Um, 'fake'?

I'm comparing two scenes:

Jack tells Ennis, Aguirre said to 'bring 'em down'.

Ennis gets angry (when he's really love-lorn) and goes on a tear about the sheep and Aguirre cheating them out a month's pay.

AND

Ennis shows up in camp late due to a problem between bears and mules.

Jack gets angry (when he's really worried) and blurts out about being tired and hungry and only having beans.

Heath sounded a lot more convincing than Jake when they're doing the same thing.

Does that make more sense?

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2006, 10:16:56 pm »
The fireworks scene.  Just don't get it (but I am sure someone will explain why it's there!)

Agree that I would have liked a little more tenderness & love expressed -

A bit further back on the camera view in the Motel - would like to see more of their arms holding each other (see above).

Would not have wanted a flashback to the fight - hopefully most people got it (although quite a few were confused by their Brokeback flashback)

I'm sorry...the physical movements of Jake/Jack when he says, "All we've got is Brokeback Mountain..."  (ducking now)

"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline EnnisLovesJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Nasty love me!
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2006, 10:23:48 pm »
RT

And me, get it to me too!!!

O0

Me too!!!!! Please.  8)
Jack Nasty loves you!

moremojo

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2006, 10:24:12 pm »
The fireworks scene.  Just don't get it (but I am sure someone will explain why it's there!)

A bit further back on the camera view in the Motel - would like to see more of their arms holding each other (see above).

I have heard that in the fullscreen version of the DVD, one can see a lot more of the men's arms touching and carressing in the motel scene.

The fireworks scene was, in part, there to function as an emblematic image of Ennis as American icon (tough, resilient, hard-as-nails cowboy). I'm not sure I can fully articulate why this scene resonates so much for me, but I found it mysteriously significant, and loved it myself.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:05:06 pm by moremojo »

Offline EnnisLovesJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Nasty love me!
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2006, 10:41:21 pm »
A couple things.

1.During the lake scene confrontation (which I love, so put down those tomatoes, please! ;)), Jack looks like Yosemite Sam. I think it's the outline the hat, the boots, and even the jacket.

2.While I admire Ang's artistic restraint, I wish there had been more love scenes between our boys. The first few times I saw BBM, I was deeply disappointed, and, heck, pretty annoyed, that the stuff in the tent scenes was in shadow, too dark to see.  Luckily, with the DVD, I found if I tilt my folks' old laptop screen just right, the illumination improves dramatically, and I can actually see their faces, expressions, eye movements, and the kissing! Yeehaw!

3. I wish Ang had held the shot of Ennis in the phonebooth (after he hangs up with Lureen) longer.

4. I LOVE Jake's expression and mannerisms throughout the film. But something doesn't feel true to me in the first moment of his reaction when he realizes Ennis is crying. When he kind of throws his hands up. I can't really explain it, but it feels off to me.

5. It's weird how Jenny disappears completely from the film after Thanksgiving. She is only ever mentioned again twice, both times by Alma Jr. Anyone notice how in most of the scenes where Ennis is leaving the girls with Alma, he only kisses Alma Jr.? Poor overlooked Jenny.

Also don't get why her name was changed from Francine (in the story) to Jenny (in the movie).
Jack Nasty loves you!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2006, 12:32:39 am »
I'm comparing two scenes:

Jack tells Ennis, Aguirre said to 'bring 'em down'.

Ennis gets angry (when he's really love-lorn) and goes on a tear about the sheep and Aguirre cheating them out a month's pay.

AND

Ennis shows up in camp late due to a problem between bears and mules.

Jack gets angry (when he's really worried) and blurts out about being tired and hungry and only having beans.

Heath sounded a lot more convincing than Jake when they're doing the same thing.

But they aren't doing the same thing.

Jack comes back to camp, can't find Ennis, sits there for a while stewing, not knowing whether to be worried or angry, decides he'll go with angry whenever Ennis does show up, meanwhile REHEARSING what he's going to say.

Ennis comes back to camp and is distraught to find Jack dismantling the tent. But Jack seems pretty cheerful. That just hurts Ennis even more -- why isn't he heartbroken, too? -- but of course he can't just come right out and say that. So he blurts out the thing about Aguirre (which is probably partly genuine -- he really does need the money) but is also a test -- if Jack joins him in attacking Aguirre it may indicate Jack is also upset about their parting. Instead, Jack helpfully offers a loan, which just makes Ennis madder, and on and on from there.

So if Jack's speech sounds fake and rehearsed, it's because it was fake and rehearsed. Ennis' reaction was more spontaneous, and if the premise is partly false, the anger is genuine.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2006, 08:56:24 am »

Jack comes back to camp, can't find Ennis, sits there for a while stewing, not knowing whether to be worried or angry, decides he'll go with angry whenever Ennis does show up, meanwhile REHEARSING what he's going to say.

Ennis comes back to camp and is distraught to find Jack dismantling the tent. But Jack seems pretty cheerful. That just hurts Ennis even more -- why isn't he heartbroken, too? -- but of course he can't just come right out and say that. So he blurts out the thing about Aguirre (which is probably partly genuine -- he really does need the money) but is also a test -- if Jack joins him in attacking Aguirre it may indicate Jack is also upset about their parting. Instead, Jack helpfully offers a loan, which just makes Ennis madder, and on and on from there.

So if Jack's speech sounds fake and rehearsed, it's because it was fake and rehearsed. Ennis' reaction was more spontaneous, and if the premise is partly false, the anger is genuine.

OK, that's understandable, but that's assuming Jack THOUGHT Ennis was going to come back.  For all he knew, Ennis said to hell with this and left the mountain, or Ennis was hurt and in the woods somewhere or Ennis was lost.  Jack couldn't have been rehearsing what to say if he didn't know what would eventually happen.  I thought this was meant to be spontaneous - Ennis finally DOES show up to Jack's relief - and it didn't sound that way.