Author Topic: Favorite facial expressions?  (Read 27978 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: YOUR FAVORITE ACTOR'S EXPRESSIONS in the film
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2006, 12:08:41 pm »
I have too many favorites, but my fave Heath/Ennis expression - When he plays with that lighter, looks nervously out of the window, smoking, drinking, waiting for Jack, wondering if he'll show up.  I think he looks so utterly beautiful and vulnerable in that close-up.

My fave Jake/Jack expression - (there are too many, so I'll pick the first one that comes to mind):
It'd be the close-up of Jack's face when he sees Ennis sulking up the hill.  He grabs the rope to go lassoo Ennis, but he stood for a minute, looked at Ennis before he goes up to him.  The expression on his face at that moment spoke louder than words, his eyes softened, his lips slightly parted, his head slightly tilted...he was in love!  I love that scene.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2006, 06:55:48 pm »
I have too many favorites, but my fave Heath/Ennis expression - When he plays with that lighter, looks nervously out of the window, smoking, drinking, waiting for Jack, wondering if he'll show up.  I think he looks so utterly beautiful and vulnerable in that close-up.

Lucise,

I know we have more than one thing in common ;) .  He sure is beautiful, vulnerable, sexy, lonely, longing, .... in that shot.  DeeDee was so nice sending me the picture.  I need to make it bigger. :)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2006, 08:06:30 pm »
And ... Del!!!

They've been roughing it in the mountains for weeks, they clean as best they can, but they're still going to smell of earth, sheep and horses, their own bodies and male lust, the tent is going to have its own odor, mildew and dampness, the scent of pinyon pine from the trees, the smell of woodsmoke on their skin and in their hair...

Wow! Very novelistic -- reading it, I am IN that tent. Do more of those!

Thanks Kat!  I am a frustrated writer.  I write a lot.  Never finish anything.  I love BBM's mountain scenes.  I've been in places like that.  I remember how it was...*sigh*

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2006, 03:54:54 am »
Absolutely Positively the most gut wrenching moment of the film is the sequential changes on Jack's face when he bounds excitedly out of the truck after receiving the divorce card to the realisation moment where he says he says "I guess I thought that this means that y'.........."  The dry throated, nervous, swallow Jake gives during this sentence is superb.  That whole scene is just perfect and both these men won my heart with their acting.  I Absolutely Positively believe/d EVERY word that they spoke and didn't speak.
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2006, 05:57:09 am »

Heath: the way the fire and joy dies in his eyes in the motel scene after Jack asks "what're we gonna do now?" The afterglow is gone and its back to harsh reality. He says it all: "doubt there's nothin we can do".. (yes yes yes there IS Ennis!!!! dammit)

Jake: right before "the hell they are". The incredible contrast in expression between the flashback cuddle contentment and that cold, twisted bitterness as Ennis drives away from him for the last time. These two consecutive wordless shots of Jake always leave me a little breathless. And very very sad.  :(
Chut up!

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2006, 12:57:20 pm »
1.. Jack looking at Ennis after the reunion kiss..when he's going back to the apartment.
     He looks stunned to the core.

I agree with that one... I love that face...

The other ones for me are

1. Jack's eyebrow raise during "Or I might be back, if the Army don't get me"

2. The laugh/smile on Jack's face after Ennis says "you'd probably deserve it" when Jack talks about the ranch forman's wife and how he's afraid he'll get shot.  That laugh is so bittersweet and it breaks my heart everytime because I know what's coming after it...

3. The look on Ennis's face when he first goes into the tent in the second tent scene, when Jack takes his hat away

All those & ALL the others mentioned.   We clearly don't NEED the DVD - we can all run the entire movie in our minds (still HAVE to have the DVD - who am I kidding).

Another one for me: The moment when Jack & Lureen are dancing & he has been all smiles & sex appeal & they turn & his face shows how alone & lonely he is w/out Ennis.

And, Ennis when Jack's farther says that his ashes are going into the family plot - heartbreaking.   And again just after Ennis asks "this fella Kurt, he loves you?"

« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 12:59:24 pm by silkncense »
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
Re: Favorite facial expressions?
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2007, 03:07:04 pm »
One that hasn't been mentioned...

When Ennis looks at Jack when they're riding and says "Yer gonna run them sheep off again if ya don't quiet down". It's not just the beautiful look on Ennis's face, but also Jake's hunched over posture (no reaction to Ennis, just a slight tilt of the head - no words needed) - just something about this moment says perfect synchronicity to me. I remember the first time I saw the film - before I knew the story or had read the novella - and I remember thinking at this moment that this was the real deal, this was a lifelong love that was absolutely unbreakable. It was that strong a feeling - pure screen magic.
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2007, 07:25:15 pm »
What a super thread,

My favorite Jack expressions,

His first night on the mountain, looking so wistfully at the light from Ennis's fire.

Jack after saying "well I won't" during the food conversation, what was he really thinking of?

Jack when saying "me neither"

Ennis/Heath every single moment especially:

Right after the first kiss in TS 2, when he has his forehead against Jack's during "I'm sorry?, it alright, its alright"

Ennis/Heath smoking looking over the sheep  resting on the way up the mountain, he looks so pensive.

The ride on the ridge after TS 1, what was he really thinking?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2007, 07:30:27 pm »
A couple of my favorites:

Jack's when his horse is crow-hopping

Ennis's looking after the departing Jack after the crow-hopping

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2007, 07:35:54 pm »
A couple of my favorites:

Jack's when his horse is crow-hopping

Ennis's looking after the departing Jack after the crow-hopping

Those are ones I love too

I am starting to thinking that that was the moment when Ennis began falling in love with Jack.

Its right after that that he starts looking up at the mounain.....