Author Topic: Favorite facial expressions?  (Read 27981 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Favorite facial expressions?
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2007, 06:52:19 pm »

Its so hard to put a one to Jacks scenes, But I think my favorite is so sad,, when he realized the trip to Ennis had been a misunderstanding.  You can watch him start to have the wheels turn.. He goes from Here i am and pure joy, to almost in tears and virtually running for the truck,,alright then see ya next month..he barely makes it on the road before the tears fall..for both of us.

Beautiful mind

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2007, 08:38:18 pm »
this is a great thread and reading all of it has been both saddening and happy..  i love 'em all.  I love Jack and I love Ennis both happy and sad.  they are two very beautiful men with very beautiful characteristics.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 09:05:37 am by brokeback_dev »

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2007, 10:26:14 pm »
I love the enthusiastic expression on Jack's face as he belts out "Water Walkin' Jesus," making distant coyote's yip! And I love the expression on Ennis' face as he says "Very good" after Jack finishes singing. Ennis isn't just being polite here. I believe he genuinely means that Jack's singing is "very good." He loves Jack unconditionally, including his singing voice. I believe he even loves Jack's harmonica playing also, which is why he feels comfortable teasing Jack about it. But I digress.

I love the quizzical little boy look on Ennis' face as he asks Jack "What is the Pentecost?" I can just imagine him at school, asking questions in class, with that little sad puppy look on his face.

I love the expression on Ennis' face as he enters Jack's room at Lightning Flat. The look of absolute and total, crestfallen desolation on his face. I weep for him. I love the hesitant way he tentatively picks up the whittled figurine of the horse and rider. Almost as though he was handling a holy relic in a cathedral. Which, I guess, is exactly what he is doing. It has been my opinion for some time that this figurine was whittled by Ennis up on Brokeback in 63 (we see him commencing the process in his tent during a storm) and given to Jack as a loving gift, and kept by Jack ever since. There's no way I can prove this, but I like to believe it's true.

I believe the entire ethos of the film can be summed-up in the Dozy Embrace. Probably both Jack and Ennis' expressions in that one scene, sum-up the entire movie for me. Particularly the dreamy expression on Jack's face as he watches Ennis ride away in 63, transposed by the look of total desolation as Ennis drives away. Both expressions from Jack in that scene will remain with me for ever.

As for the question about what expression I have personally adopted. It is the way Jack touches the corner of his mouth with his tongue in the post-divorce scene (with Ennis' girls in his truck), that I now find myself doing all the time. Never did so before.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:50:46 pm by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Dagi

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2007, 07:02:02 am »
I ts really hard to pick a favorite one, when I start thinking about it I get the impression that the whole movie consists of adorable facial expressions.

But one I have fallen for from the first viewing on was Jack´s, after saying <the hell they are> and right before he jumps up for horsing around.

And again Jack, a very sad one, when Ennis said <guess I´ll see you around> . He looks at Ennis, hides his eyes under his hat, looks up again, and this split second breaks my heart.

Again Jack, the way he looks at Ennis after the reunion kiss, when E. is about to go upstairs...so stunned, can´t believe what just happened, aawww.

Jack crying in the truck regularely makes me sob like a baby.

Let´s see, Ennis...well, I´m more a Gyllehaalic, but I love the way Ennis tries again and again to look Jack in the eye in TS2.

And I love his dark eyes when he asks "what?"

But in fact I adore each and every single expression on both of their faces!

Dagi

Offline Daphne7661

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2007, 11:35:34 am »
Hey Dagi, you just reminded me of yet another favorite facial expression -- both Heath and Jake really have no idea how much they nailed these!!!

At the end of the summer, when Jack is driving away in his truck, he looks in the rearview mirror to see Ennis' singular, lonely figure walking down the road behind him, further and further away from him, his heart broken into a million pieces, the only thing he has left of Ennis is the bloody shirt he stole, but the way Jack looks away from the rearview mirror and tries to focus on the road, with a look of such sad resignation that his friend, his lover and the most wonderful thing to have ever happened to him in his entire life just slipped away from him, probably never to be heard from or seen again .... Jake just amazes me with how well he expresses his emotions in this film!!!

Oh, but if Jack only knew how, right after that, Ennis had to turn into that culvert from the overwhelming loss and confusion and separation from Jack, he would have turned that damn truck around and gone to comfort Ennis and never leave him again!!!

Daphne
...Nice to know ya, Ennis del Mar...

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2007, 11:51:40 am »
Hey Dagi, you just reminded me of yet another favorite facial expression -- both Heath and Jake really have no idea how much

Oh, but if Jack only knew how, right after that, Ennis had to turn into that culvert from the overwhelming loss and confusion and separation from Jack, he would have turned that damn truck around and gone to comfort Ennis and never leave him again!!!

Daphne

Great scenes you mentioned there Daphne!
There are so many "if only's" in this movie.
I wonder how it would have changed if jack had seen Ennis or if after the Dozy Embrace Ennis ahd looked back to see the utter love on Jacks face as he rode away or if only Ennis would have let Lack stay after he shpwed up when the Divorce was final.
What a different story it would have been. I wonder if it would have had the same impact though? i doubt it!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2007, 12:56:29 pm »

I am so glad to see you new folks taking right up in the discussions...wonderful...
   I can tell you all I have watched the movie over 120 times.  The reason i watched it the first several being totally different from all the rest.  I watched it over and over and over to get every last detail of the expressions.  Both facial and body wise.  Those two actors were Jack and Ennis, not just playing them.  In my long lifetime I have seen more movies, than i myself could ever estimate.  But this one is the ultimate.  Not simply because of the story, which is so aweinspiring and beautiful...Which it is.  But it has caught lightning in a bottle to me.  Those two guys were perfection at that particular time to play those two parts...They would not be able to do it as well even now, i dont think...The music was the best pairing with a movie I have ever seen in order to make you have the deep in your heart feelings that they were feeling...Then watching the repeats for every smallest detail, and double meaning in the lines.............it wont ever get any better than this movie...I dont think.....JMO

Beautiful mind

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2007, 08:20:41 pm »
There are so many -

1.  Jack and Ennis in the dozy embrace  - Jack with his eyes closed, his bittersweet expression of total fulfillment mixed with the pain of knowing Ennis is leaving, and Ennis' loving expression when he sings to him.  God, I'm tearin' up just thinkin' about it!

2.  Ennis and Jack, the second night in the tent - Ennis goes to Jack with a look of total vulnerabilty and surrender on his face.  He never looked as vulnerable throughout the entire movie as he did then.  And of course, Jack with his reassuring expression and unwavering look into Ennis' eyes, telling him he's there for him and that everything's all right.  I have to think sometimes that Jack was the stronger one, at least when it comes to their relationship.

3.  Jack, when they came down from the mountain early, there are actually a couple here - when they talk about possibly coming back next summer.  He looks down, then looks up hopefully when he says "I might be back, if the Army don't git me."  When Ennis is non-committal, his look of shock and disappointment just floored me - it's as if he's saying, "how can you walk away after all that happened between us?  without words, only his facial expressions.

4.  Jack again, driving to see Ennis after the divorce, face full of hope and flying high on love, looking like he was just about going to kiss Ennis, only to have his hopes dashed when Ennis turns him away.  He looks a bit confused, then a look of realization and disappointment sets in, when Ennis is uncomfortable that someone might see them, and Jack turns to see the white truck drive by.  He cries in the truck and then pulls himself together, pushing his feelings down inside.  He then goes to Mexico and meets with the prostitute, and he has the most lost look on his face.  :(

5.  Ennis, when Alma tells him she's tired of living at the ranch and wants to get a place in town, and she says something to the effect of "you don't want to be so lonely like how it was when you grew up" and it's like she shot him through the heart, his eyelids flutter a bit and he has an expression of heartache.

6.  Jack, dancing with Lureen at the rodeo bar, looking like he's really thinking of and missing Ennis when the band is playing "Noone's Gonna Love You Like Me".

6.  Alma, when she's become used to Ennis' trips away and she's sitting at the table showing very little emotion, maybe suppressed anger, as Ennis is hurring to leave, she's become resigned to the way things are between them.  She says to Ennis "you forgettin' sumthin'?"  Ennis hesitates and almost seems be considering whether to kiss her goodbye or not, but Alma is referring to his fishing gear, doesn't even expect anything else.

Sorry to have written a short story about the facial expressions!  There are many, many more - I think Jake said that this was a story that was told with very few words or something like that!  :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 08:39:42 pm by passionscowboys »
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2007, 08:41:06 pm »
2.  Ennis and Jack, the second night in the tent - Ennis goes to Jack with a look of total vulnerabilty and surrender on his face.  He never looked as vulnerable throughout the entire movie as he did then. And of course, Jack with his reassuring expression and unwavering look into Ennis' eyes, telling him he's there for him and that everything's all right.  I have to think sometimes that Jack was the stronger one, at least when it comes to their relationship.

:'( Oh, now you've got me "tearin' up," PC.  :'(

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2007, 08:50:15 pm »
There are so many -

1.  Jack and Ennis in the dozy embrace  - Jack with his eyes closed, his bittersweet expression of total fulfillment mixed with the pain of knowing Ennis is leaving, and Ennis' loving expression when he sings to him.  God, I'm tearin' up just thinkin' about it!

2.  Ennis and Jack, the second night in the tent - Ennis goes to Jack with a look of total vulnerabilty and surrender on his face.  He never looked as vulnerable throughout the entire movie as he did then.  And of course, Jack with his reassuring expression and unwavering look into Ennis' eyes, telling him he's there for him and that everything's all right.  I have to think sometimes that Jack was the stronger one, at least when it comes to their relationship.

These are my two absolute faviorites also.  I still can't get over Ennis/Heath in the dozy embrace, so many emotions showing in his face in just a moment.  All the love and sadness and desire and longing and heartbreak and bittersweetness and .......  It still hits me hard whenever I watch it.

Even after all this time, I still watch TS2 or SNIT every day.  As you described so amazingly well I still can't get over how nervous and scared and heartbreaking vulnerable Ennis/Heath is in this scene. I don't really understand why I am so affected by him in these two scenes, but I still am, a lot.