Author Topic: Favorite facial expressions?  (Read 27979 times)

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Favorite facial expressions?
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2007, 11:10:39 pm »
I forgot about those - thanks for reminding me!  I loved Jack's eyes in that scene, all fire and defiance, and maybe a little bravado too, ready to take life by the reins, literally - "You ain't gettin' this one ta sit around tyin' knots all day."   Ennis was more cautious and tentative.  And when Ennis opened up to Jack and said "the most I spoke in a year", well, you knew there had to be a good reason!  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2007, 02:52:52 am »

I particularly liked Jacks expressions in the Thanksgiving scene... When he got determined to turn off the television...When he patted Lureens back, on the return to the table. and his defiant looks when he was telling LD.  he was gonna knock him into next week...But most of all his disgusted with his life, and sick and tired of playing the family man game after he sat back down...he showed it all with his hand on his head, and a deep sigh, and raising up to do the carving himself...That was truly Jacks finest hour,,(ie Jakes,) in the movie, I thought...He ran the gamut of emotions there.  Of course his look in the final away was devastating also,,but it was so so disheartened..he had finally lost his ability to hope..

Beautiful mind

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2007, 12:15:58 am »
Wow you guys!  So many great choices to read.

Heath:  When Jack says, "Didn't know we was gonna get into this again . . . yes I did, redlined it all the way, couldn't get here fast enough. How about you?"

Ennis just mumbles, "Me? Uhhh, Idunno..."  But the expression(s) on his face!  All these emotions wash over his face in those 2 seconds.

For Jake/Jack I agree with many of yall: his breathless, ravished look after Ennis gives him the kiss of his life, then heads up the stairs . . .

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2007, 12:27:39 am »
All these emotions wash over his face in those 2 seconds.

When you say this, Laura, it reminds me that out of all the wonderful facial expressions, my very very favorite is Ennis' after asking Alma Jr. if Kurt loves her. He turns to the window, gazing out and thinking of Jack, and in about one second all those emotions cross his face, from grief to regret to sadness to happiness for his daughter ... and, as someone on imdb once pointed out, Heath had to register all those emotions IN PROFILE. What talent!

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2007, 12:38:04 am »
Wow you guys!  So many great choices to read.

Heath:  When Jack says, "Didn't know we was gonna get into this again . . . yes I did, redlined it all the way, couldn't get here fast enough. How about you?"

Ennis just mumbles, "Me? Uhhh, Idunno..."  But the expression(s) on his face!  All these emotions wash over his face in those 2 seconds.

That's a great one, Laura, I so agree.  My favorite moment of the hotel scene, that and when he rubs Jack's arm at 'Brokeback's got us good'.  (But I guess that isn't a facial expression.)

Did you ever notice how his mouth and whole face actually tremble when he says "I dunno.."?

When you say this, Laura, it reminds me that out of all the wonderful facial expressions, my very very favorite is Ennis' after asking Alma Jr. if Kurt loves her. He turns to the window, gazing out and thinking of Jack, and in about one second all those emotions cross his face, from grief to regret to sadness to happiness for his daughter ... and, as someone on imdb once pointed out, Heath had to register all those emotions IN PROFILE. What talent!

Yep, that is something how he does it all in profile.  Also, all the emotions at much less than full profile, that come through when he says 'this is a one-shot thing that's goin' on here'.  Amazing!!!

Maybe we need a new thread, favorite mannerisms?

mvansand76

« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2007, 08:32:35 am »

For Jake/Jack I agree with many of yall: his breathless, ravished look after Ennis gives him the kiss of his life, then heads up the stairs . . .

Oh YES..... the expression on his face combined with the tussled hair.... GASP.... :o

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2007, 08:19:43 am »
Funny, but when I think of expressions, the first one that comes to mind is Alma when she sees Ennis and Jack in the reunion scene.  The stunned fear and shocked silence as portrayed by Michelle Williams is breathtaking, so well done. 

I also like the look on Laureen's face when Jack yells at Daddy...  "Now you sit down you old SOB!...etc."  The sheer restrained delight on her face is great.

Jack's contented and hopelessly in love look as Ennis leaves after the dozy embrace is classic.

And finally, the look of joy on both Jack and Ennis' when Ennis gets to the lake but is late that one time....  The smiles say it all; they're so into each other, delighted to be together.