Author Topic: Can We Get the New People to Say Hi?  (Read 47385 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Can We Get the New People to Say Hi?
« on: April 26, 2006, 04:31:38 pm »
I am on a campaign to try and get the lurkers to get into our great big welcoming family.  If you're new here or if you've never posted much, why not hit the reply key and just say hi... or anything.  Sometimes people assume that tight knit groups of people aren't welcome to outsiders, but I guarantee you most of us never knew each other 4-5 months ago.  Great new online friendships start with a "hello" and in just a short time, great communities like this are built!

« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 11:26:45 pm by cHrIs_sLaYeRs »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

rtprod

Re: Can We Get the New People to Say Hi?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 04:34:47 pm »
That's true -- wonder what initiative we can think of to get them involved?  I think many times people feel like they don't have something to add to the conversations that hasn't already been said, which is just silly. 

Let's hear it!  Jump in, the water is fine.

No one here bites (anymore, that is).   ;D

rt
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 04:37:30 pm by rtprod »

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 04:59:03 pm »
I think many times people feel like they don't have something to add to the conversations that hasn't already been said, which is just silly.

I'm not new, but I haven't been posting much lately, and this is partly why. This is also why it took me so long to start posting on IMDb when I first started going there.

So I guess for anyone who is new or who has forgotten who I am, hi! I'm Courtney. To the new people, we're all very nice and would love to hear from you!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 05:05:54 pm »
Today, I sent a PM to a new registered member, whose name I have seen twice as "watching this topic" but who has posted nothing. My PM said "hello stranger, where are you from? France here" or something to that effect, and never got a reply. Hey, if you're out there, reply still welcome!!So mine is pretty obvious, isabelle, and you just need to look at my profile to know where I am precisely, in France.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 05:58:59 pm »
Lisa--BBMISWEAR--

if you are lurking and reading this, take a minute to introduce yourself to the group. Here's your personal invite. Everyone really wants to meet you!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 06:28:21 pm »
Here I am  :)
I just registered today. And yes, I wrote a post to introduce myself, but didn't like it, so I deleted it instead of sending it.

Now it's late here in Europe and I'm on my way to bed. Therefore just some short infos: I'm a 38 year female from Germany and have just seen BBM for the 4th time today. I'm a IMDB-refugee, too. More to come the next days.

Special greets to isabelle, my french neighbour (border to France ist just 80km away from where I live). Sorry I didn't answer your PM.  Hope it's o.k. to answer it here on the board.

See ya,
Penthesilea

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 06:29:20 pm »
Hi. I'm Mel. I've posted a bit here in the past week or so, but I wasn't part of the CT community on IMDb. (I lurked on IMDb regularly back in November and early December, before the movie came out, but the slow platform release kept me from seeing the actual movie, and I stopped lurking because I didn't want to overdose on spoilers before I had a chance to see the movie. And then after I finally saw it, I spent all my time trying to get work done efficiently so I could go see it again! When I did have time to check IMDb, the traffic was incredibly high, and the trolls... well, I was spending more time adding users to my ignore list than I was reading threads, so I stopped going over there, even though my friend Meryl said there were great conversations happening. I spammed my livejournal friends first, then hung out on Oscarwatch for a while, and then went to Dave Cullen's board, and then Meryl suggested I stop by this board.)

Anyway, I like the lower traffic here, and the constant generation of new threads. It's easier to get into conversations here than it has been in other places. And I still need to work through whatever it is I'm feeling about BBM. So thanks for the nice place.

So... I'm not really a lurker any more, I guess, but I'm not part of the group, either.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
To All Lurkers
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 06:40:01 pm »
I was trying to think my own experience of coming out of lurking closet, but my experience does not apply to most of the people.  ;)

Here are list of reasons I can think of why people lurk instead of getting involved:

1. I don’t have anything to contribute.  Everything can be said for the movie have already been said.
Believe me, you DO have something to contribute.  Just like we all have an opinion on things around us.  If other people have already expressed it, it does not mean you can’t say it again.  It represents your take on it and other who have the similar mind would appreciate that someone shares their POV. Plus we talk about a lot of other stuff too, not just the movie. 

2. The people here is a tight group, I don’t know whether I will be accepted.
We are inviting you to join the group, aren’t we?  We have new friends joining us everyday.  I myself have been lurking for close to 4 months before I joined this group.

3. I am not an expert on movie or everything related to Brokeback Mountain.
Nobody here is an expert (Ok, we do have a few.  You know who you are ;) ).  We are all Brokies just like you, people here are from all walks of life and through out the world.

4. I am content with just reading posts from some very intelligent, interesting people.
Yeah, wait until you can have a real conversation with them. 

5. I am not comfortable sharing my personal information or my own feeling/thoughts.
No pressure to share any information about yourself.  This is a very friendly considering group.  We all feel comfortable here that’s why people share information about their life here.  No credit card no., phone no., address info is shared  ;D  (at least not through regular postings.)  If you are not comfortable sharing your own feeling/thoughts, I can’t think of any better way to do that.  In a way, we are all hiding behind our online user name.  Some people meet each other in real life, most of us are just cyber friends.  For all I know, Phillip could be my boss.  Ok, that won’t work because Phillip does not look like him at all  ;D  but anyway, you get my drift ;).

6. I have already spent so much time lurking, don’t want to spend more time join the conversation.
Yeah, I know that feeling.  Guess you need to have some discipline.  I am guilty on this and working on it to make sure I don’t have other things dropped because of my little hobby here. 

7. Language barrier
You do read English, right?  :)  You don’t have to be an eloquent English writer to post here.  There are many foreigners here where English is their second language.  And we don’t have grammar or spelling police around.  At lease not that I am aware of, otherwise they will be on my a** all the time :)

So are you convinced?  I am trying really hard here.  I have been there, done that and I feel if I could ‘save’ a few people from that agony that will be some accomplishment.  8)

Come on, introduce yourself and dive in any conversation you are interested in.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 06:59:38 pm by JennyC »

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 06:53:34 pm »
Really nice post Jenny C.  And welcome, welcome to Penthesilea & nakymaton.  Pull up a chair and set and visit with us for a while.  Want some coffee, don't ya?  Piece a cherry cake?
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

vkm91941

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 07:01:23 pm »
Hey everyone, all it takes to be a part of this group is to say Hi and introduce yourself.  We're a very OPEN and self selecting group here so all are welcome!  ;D Stay chat a spell and you'll be feeling like you belong in no time at all. :D