Author Topic: *Slightly* OT Confessions: How Much is TOO MUCH Before You'd QUIT Someone?  (Read 18055 times)

rtprod

Any stories to share?  Thought this could get lively and fun to talk about...

rt

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 07:16:41 pm by rtprod »

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
Re: *Slightly* OT: How much is TOO MUCH before you'd QUIT someone?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 06:30:08 pm »
I have spent "too much" on someone. Granted, it was not 20 years like Jack and Ennis, but seeing as how I was merely in love with the person (good friend, no relationship) and he never did anything to pursue it, I should have realised 6 months was enough, as oppossed to 2 years (plus 1 year of healing). He also wasn't very nice to me (he once, though not directly, told me I was too fat for him). Should have cut it all and run.

I hate posting this first, cos I'm pretty certain everyone else will have far worse stories.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 04:56:56 pm by FuzzyChanny »
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

rtprod

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 06:33:03 pm »
Fuzzy, thanks for sharing your story.  They may have far worse stories, but you have by far the best avatar, and that counts for something.  lol

Also, I should say "too much" meaning:

Emotionally?

Financially?

Logistically?

What was the cost to you? 

rt

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 06:36:28 pm »
This is hard for me to answer....I know I broke more than few hearts. I usually got out before the gettin' got tough...

L
xo
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

vkm91941

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 06:45:18 pm »
Well I didn't waste 20 years on someone...but I did waste 3 dating , 6 months in counseling and then 1 year greiving.. plus lots of financial support, emotional support and travel time.   The first year or so was really good and I fell in love, but half way through the second he reconnected with his old girlfirend and her husband and use to go there to discuss our relationship with her....should have been my first clue something was very wrong...then she started finding more suitable women to introduce him to and he would go to dinners., and picnics and charity affairs to meet them "just so I don't hurt her feelings"  HEY what about my feelings...but still I stayed, it took me going into the hospital for emergency surgery and him never coming near me for 7 days to open my eyes.  When I got out of the hopsital I went and moved all my things out of his house and back to my condo.  While doing that I found lots of silent evidence that another woman had been staying there recently and one even called while I was there and left a message.  

He called me for days and cried and beggged, said he love me that we should go to counseling together. Fool that I am I agreed to go  but after 3 sessions where it came out that he didn't just havea couple of girl friends he had a boyfriend too, after 6 sessions  the counselor advised me to run....that he had a lot of issues to work out and he was going to drag down anyone who became involved with him.  I met my husband 2 years later in a cooking class and it was electric and I remember thinking OH so this is what all the fuss is about!  and I could have wasted it.

I saw him not too long ago, he's 55 now, looks older, has lost his trim physique and is still chasing young women and even younger boys.  All the while trying to present this facade to his family.  Sad really but I feel so lucky to have escaped because I really did love who he seemed to be that first year or so and would have married him.  

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 06:48:34 pm »
Fuzzy, thanks for sharing your story.  They may have far worse stories, but you have by far the best avatar, and that counts for something.  lol

Lol, thanks... I'm a sucker for a compliment...

Also, I should say "too much" meaning:

Emotionally?

Financially?

Logistically?

Emotionally. I always say he destroyed my heart because he broke it so many times, it became nothing but dust. It changed me as a person; my feelings, my outlook on life and love, my personality. It's taken me a year to forgive and forget it, but more importantly, to forgive myself for letting it happen. Everyone was telling me it was wrong but it was my fault that I let it carry on. I only realised this last week and was able to make peace with myself, and thus learn from my mistakes.

I cannot say I'm completely healed, because I'm not. I have a deep scar that burns when touched. But hopefully, one day the pain will subside enough for me to let someone in.

And the best thing for me is that I'm nearly back to my old self, which for me is the most important, because I was quite fond of her.

Wow, Viictoria. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I'm glad that you were able to find happiness after all that.
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

rtprod

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 06:48:46 pm »
Whoah, Vic!  You really went through it, didn't you?  What a story.  That is what I call life experience, isn't it?  

after six sessions the counselor advised me to run

Does this fall within the realm of what counselors normally offer?  (half kidding)

rt

vkm91941

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 06:58:34 pm »
Whoah, Vic!  You really went through it, didn't you?  What a story.  That is what I call life experience, isn't it?  

after six sessions the counselor advised me to run

Does this fall within the realm of what counselors normally offer?  (half kidding)

rt

Yep it was a very rough time in my life  I have friends who still will not speak his name because of what he did to me.  But these a re the thing th at shape us and make us who we are today.  I've forgiven him for not being who I thought he was and myself for staying too long....and heaven rewarded me with my soul mate so I'm not complaining.  I may not have appreciated Stephen as much  if I had not had the experience I had with the other.

Re the counselor, No I don't think they usually say things like that.  He called me and asked me to come in alone.  When I got there he asked me what I had learned about this person in our sessions so far...and I said the biggest revelation to me was his confusion about his sexuality and his VERY odd feelings about his Mother.  He then asked me "are you still in love with him" and when I said no, he relaxed and told me I should leave the realtionship now, that I didn't need counseling but my companion needed some serious therapy.  As I said I was very sad,actaully still is...  you'd never know it if you met him on the street or in a social setting ...very well educated professional, charming, handsome articulate but emotionally bankrupt and twisted.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 07:22:32 pm by vkm91941 »

moremojo

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 07:08:52 pm »
I'm embarrassed now, in my middle age, to reflect on how quickly I would sometimes quit partners in my younger years. I like to think that with maturity and reflection I would render unto others more patience, understanding, and sympathy than I sometimes accorded them back in the day.

One example, right off the top of my ol' memory bank: Some twelve or thirteen years ago, I dated a man who was handsome, cultured, and talented--he had a flair for writing poetry, for instance. He also happened to be a recovering alcoholic, and had just started his journey towards sobriety very shortly before we met. Things were going pretty well up to one evening where he sat me down and said he had something strange yet important to share with me. He said he had had experiences with UFOs and visitations, citing one moment when he saw a golden orb hovering in his back yard one day, eventually zooming out of sight, and an evening when he was awakened by strange, ethereally beautiful music playing underneath his bedroom window. I didn't know how to respond to these stories. I could tell my fellow was sincere, but I didn't know how to approach the objective veracity of his claims. Assuming they were true, the stories scared the bejeesus out of me--this would intimate a level of reality that I wasn't sure I was prepared to handle, and I wondered if I would be exposed to similar experiences by further intimacy with this person.

My dilemma was temporarily put on hold when my boyfriend voluntarily committed himself to a rehabilitation clinic, knowing that he needed more help in abstaining from alcohol. When he got out, he rang me up at my home, and in the course of our conversation, got very angry at me for no, as far as I could see, provocation on my part. This frightened and upset me, and I felt the situation was messier than I knew how to cope with. When he called back, some days later, he admitted that he had bought a bottle of wine the day he was released from the clinic, and proceeded to get drunk before he called me. He couldn't even remember what he had said, and apologized if anything he expressed had been unpleasant. He went on to say that he realized that he wasn't in a good place then to start on a new relationship, but he hoped we could be friends. I replied that I thought it best if we didn't seek one another out, and I sensed some sadness in his voice as he said okay to this. And that was the last I heard from him.

Today, I would hope that I could extend my friendship to a person like this fellow. If the person were going through some things that I couldn't understand, I would like to think that I would make the effort to understand to the best of my abilities, even if that effort caused a little discomfort on my part. And I would certainly want to be a better support to someone who was trying to better their lives, and stumbling on occasion on the way. I blush to think on how easily I would give up on challenging situations back then, but remind myself that I was young and feeling my way through my own life. I wish this fellow the very best, wherever he might be, and fondly reminisce on the good times we did have (he literally made one of my romantic fantasies, one I had harbored since adolescence, come true).

I don't know how well this anecdote addresses this topic, but it was the first thing to come to mind when reflecting on it.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:01:59 pm by moremojo »

rtprod

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 07:14:55 pm »
Scott,

Thanks for contributing another fantastic story.  The UFO angle is one of those too interesting and strange to make up things. 

This is shaping up to be a great thread -- I'm sure we'll learn a lot about the group if everyone contributes at the level we've had so far.  How nice that these stories end in a sort of forgiveness, rather than bitterness, and individuals can go on with their lives and reflect on these stories from a different, healthier and better place.

Bravo for sharing.   :)

rt

dmmb_Mandy

Well, a relationship got "too much" for me, but I don't think I realized it until much later...

I was with a guy for a year, and he treated my quite terribly, not so bad at first, but it got pregressively worse. I thought I loved him, so I took it. At least I learned something from it. But it got so bad that he made me feel like every little thing that went wrong for him was my fault. Looking back at it now, I can see little things that indicate that it really was too much, especially emotionally, but I couldn't see that then, and I guess Jack was in a similar situation; he loved Ennis so damn much. For example, one night we were sleeping at his place and he had left the window open, and it started pouring raining out and the rain got in on everything: his TV, his computer, important documents on his desk..etc. He woke up and started freaking out. He was so mad. When I awoke, I didn't know what was going on, and my first reaction to his anger was "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!". I just blurted it out, almost instinctively. I didn't even know what I was appologizing for, and of course it was in no way my fault. I wish I had noticed things like this while we were still together and before he had the chance to break my heart. But I've learned from it and am grateful for that much. I know it doesn't completely relate to the "too much" that Jack endured, but nonetheless..

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Whoa, Scott, that's a doozy of a story.  I've had a similar experience with the deal-breakers like you describe.  Not UFOs, but those moments when someone seemingly-normal comes out with something so awful that you're not sure whether to laugh or cry. 

My own line comes when I was dating a very nice fellow who very responsibly owned up that he had gonorrhea just as we were getting friendly.  I wish I could have been more understanding, but you know, the clap isn't really something I look for in a potential mate.  Next.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Too painful to discuss.  I never quit them, they quit me first in rather horrendous acts of betrayal then came crawling back - wanting to 'be friends' to either fill in the gaps in their social schedule in between times with their new lovers or to fulfill the other needs their new loves weren't providing.

I don't know, I didn't bother to invite them back into my life to find out which it was.

Offline David

Try about 25 years too much..

I was Jack Twist and had a married Ennis in my life.    Just like the movie, we met very young.  We were 16 yrs old.    We even shared a tent scene of our own.   I kid you not.     Here we are over 20 years later, he is married with kids, and I thought I was just his friend at this point.   But after seeing BBM,  I realized that I was still carrying a torch for him.   So the only cure for me was to bring him to see the movie with me.    He was shocked.  He said it was amazingly similar to our lives.   BUT he said, that part of his life was behind him now and he had no emotional attachment to me as anything but a close friend.   Those were hard words to hear, but they made my decision all the more easier to "quit him".    So I told him that much like Jack Twist, I needed to move on and find my Randall to ranch up with.    That was March 1st.   I haven't looked back since.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
My first husband moved out on me one day, without a word. I didn't even know he was unhappy! Nine months later, he came around, and wanted to move back in. "Hey, I don't even know why you left! Why should I let you back in?" I said.

We now both live in Berkeley (we livvd in Chicago), and until husband #2 kicked him out one night (without my knowing it!) we had become good friends...

Never did find out why he left. I know, women lack curiosity...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
well my story is sad, but long past, so I neither dwell on it or carry any baggage - after all how much excessive drinking, physical, sexual and mental abuse, not to mention whoring around can the average person withstand?  I made it for 10 years and three children but I literally got to the point where the pain no longer was an issue - survival was.  I had gone through so much including a miscarriage at the same time that he was paying for an abortion for his psycho girl friend and I listened to his lies about love but I made the effort to get away and I did.  It took a few years but I finished college, worked in both the food industry and doing accounting, and raised the kids.  Now when I do take the time to reflect, I wonder how I did it.  But I do not bear hard feelings or bitterness and the kids turned out ok - they are close to both of us. It is he who will have nothing to do with me now - I know we will never be friends, but I thought after our youngest daughter's wedding a couple of years ago and he actually spoke to me after 20 years that maybe, we could at least be cordial.  But it is not to be - the irony of all this:  his health has really suffered after all the drinking which caused adult onset diabetes and all of its complications like poor/failing eyesight, extremely bad circulation to the point he can hardly walk, joint problems and he's very obese now.  If there is karma, he is now getting what he deserved.  He is bitter and angry because of all the health issues,  and believe it or not there is a part of me that feels sorry for him - just a little.

How much is too much - depends on who you ask and what they have endured.  In my case, many years ago I made a bad choice and had to live with that. Hindsight says I wouldn't make that same choice if presented now, but how I wish I was that naive 20 year old again............. :)
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
* Adriana searches in vain for the right words.  Proffers just-popped popcorn to Judy.  Pats Judy gently on the shoulder in a gesture of sympathy and solidarity.  Crunches.*

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
These are very honest stories and I admire each one for the up note they finish on.  What doesn't kill us makes us stronger as we're told.

~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
I admire each one for the up note they finish on.  What doesn't kill us makes us stronger as we're told.

Ditto, what Ray said.  I don't have a story to tell on this subject.  Hope you are in good a relationship now and made peace with the past.

rtprod

I had no idea how candid everyone would be when I began this thread.  I've just returned and would like to read more here before saying much else, but I am so proud to have all of you, whom I really like so much, tell these stories. 

Just an awesome testament to how much there is between the group.  Amazing, hats off to everyone. 

rt 

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
I popped home at lunch time and caught this thread and posted my little message, content to leave it there, but all afternoon your stories have been resonating with me.  "How much IS too much?" 

I haven't been in a relationship that includes breakfast for over 10 years now.  Prior to that, as I have gushed in past threads, I felt what "all the fuss was about".  I felt absolute love, TWICE!  I have loved a few more, but I have been IN LOVE twice.  I remain friends with my ex's to this day, but there was the stages of grief that made the transition very ugly at times.  I don't believe that the bits you fall in love with ever go away, it's just other crap exceeds it, complicates it, deprioritises it.  In both my live in relationships I had the best of times and the absolute worst of times emotionally.  From the beginning stages of feigning injury and illness at work just to go home and be with them, to waking up sickened by the thought of them laying next to me, and sneaking out of bed before they woke up so that I wouldn't have to deal with them at the finish.

Both of them lead double lives it turned out, one was a prostitute.., I just thought he was a good saver. I just thought he needed a lot of time on his own to ponder!  I was gullible and I hated them for stealing my naivity.  For betraying me.  For making a fool of me. For exposing me to the dangers of unsafe monogomous sex that wasn't monogomous.  I nearly crashed completely the first time, but the second time turned me hard.  I vowed I would NEVER let things get to the too much point again where I felt that pain.  It turned out that I never got to the too much point again because I never let it start to begin with.

Time mellowed me and I let go of the hurt a long time ago. As I got older and observed more of the world I realised that the warm cuddliness of naivety is a short term gift, awarded to the young and most of us simply have to grow out of it.  That's life.  My ex's are now my friends and they have learned lessons also along the way.  They are different people now and we respect what happened and regained respect for each other.

Whilst I have lost the jaddedness and am open to the prospect of someone again walking into my life one day, the past ten years have shown me how to like myself more, and I don't feel the 'find a mate' senario is essential to my existence.  I love my solitude and my independence now more than ever, and whomever I meet in the future will enhance that in me. 

I see people I love, who can never let go of the betrayal, and 15 years post divorce, still grab every chance to 'tsk' or 'hrmf' when their ex's name is mentioned.  They have mastered the art of manipulating a conversation about white bread to make reports the ex's latest stupid comment, or weight gain, or stupidly backing into the neighbours letterbox twenty six years ago all become naturally topical. In doing so, they feel justification for the hurt they will never let go of.  I don't want to feel that sort of resentment to the grave.  I want to forgive all of it and take it onboard as part of my character.

That was a little rave wasn't it?!  As I said, it's been flying around in my head all afternoon.  Hope ya don't mind.

Offline Ellemeno

(Ray, the first thing I thought of to say to you is, "I'll make you breakfast!'  But I know that that's not all you meant, and that that's not all you probably want.  But I will make you breakfast when you come visit.)

I think one reason that the story of Ennis and Jack is seen as so romantic, and such a grand passion is because with them you just really can't say who loved whom more, or gave more for the other one.  But in most relationships that I've seen, I think you often can observe who is the one who is more "crushy" on the other, and who does more for the other.

The story about my Ennis-type person -

I thought G. was the most gorgeous, capable, delicious person I knew.  I Cassied him and Cassied him, and he passively Ennis'd, like on the dance floor when Junior was with them.  I loved having sex with him, sleeping with him, working on projects with him, travelling with him, smelling him.  But he didn't talk much at all.  And didn't really let me know him.  And I always knew I was more into him than he was into me.  After six lonely years together, I finally worked him over enough that we got married, and had another seven lonely years, before I finally gave up and divorced him.  He was (is) a good guy.  But not the right guy for me.  Almost everyone I knew thought I was nuts to leave him.  One woman told me, "Guys like G. don't grow on trees, you know."  But I hated the loneliness.

I moved away and one of my old acquaintances moved in on him and Cassied him into marrying her.  I get the sense that they have a a similar uncommunicative situation.

So that was over 12 years together, and we have been apart now for 12 years.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Wow. Some stories here. My case doesn’t match these – and hugs to everyone – but I’ll tell it anyway.

Reading these posts actually gave me the realisation that my boyfriend of 6 years was actually much more of an Ennis than I ever thought.

So, I’ll give you the short(ish) version.

I met my boyfriend through the brass band I play in.. we knew each other vaguely, but I sat next to his brother in band so in fact before we started seeing each other I was much much closer to his brother. Anyway, as a 16 year old I thought he was gorgeous, and he was 18 – older! Wow! We got together after a band trip down south, on the journey home overnight, after having a good few bottles of beer we had a bit of a snogging session, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I was going to University 4 months later so  we carried on a long distance relationship well long-ish for the UK and for young love.. (you US peeps thing a 4 hr drive is nothing!) ..and all was good.. we saw each other a fair bit and that initial loved up stage was lovely.. I knew his brother well anyway and knew  of his family, so I fitted in there quite well… 2 yrs went by… Looking back now it would have probably run its course eventually, had other things not intervened – but I’m a try-er I don’t give up easily on anything. But yes, he was a total Ennis, I myself am a Jack – the talker, always need to be on the go etc.

He was up seeing me at uni one weekend when his dad called. Can I speak to Stuart? Stuart put down the phone and said. Graham’s dead. His brother had been killed in an accident at work. That was a terrible time…I had my own grief to deal with as well as Stuart’s, his whole families, and Graham’s girlfriend (a mate of mine). I had to phone round our friends and tell them the news. I had to track down Graham’s best friend as no-one could get in touch with him and tell him over the phone (he was visiting his girlfriend in London). It was hard. I held the family together.

Now this in itself is not a big deal  in the grand scheme of things – plenty of people deal with death. But this was a lot to put on my shoulders at that age. But I wanted to be there – I loved this guy, very fond of the family, and his poor brother. Most of the time during the initial week or so after it.. he pushed me away. Didn’t want a cuddle, couldn’t handle it. It was just his way of dealing but there was other flashes of times, when I think he would have collapsed without me.

Anyway, there lies the problem… I let him treat me like 5hit.. because he was grieving.. and I got used to it. And I guess so did he. If he was horrible, and off hand, and more interested in his mates than me, and getting drunk and never physically but verbally abusive,  I would say, but he’s grieving. It took another 4 yrs to come to head and took his best friend over a year of repeatedly telling me.. he’s a 5hit to you. Get out of there. And other people telling me the same to eventually make things come to a head. They’re had been plenty of times when I said to him before.. things need to change… but it would always go back to normal.

Stuarts best friend now doesn’t talk to him…he just thinks he’s a total ar5e. And in fact Barry and that group of friends are now some of my closest friends.  Stuart is now seeing a girl in the group.. this all started before Barry gave up on him completely and while I can see or hear about definite improvements in his behaviour.. like he actually goes and visits her at uni regularly, takes her out on proper dates regularly, there are still a lot of elements of our relationship in theirs. .I see history repeating itself but its not for me to intervene. I’ve told her she knows my story but that she has to make the mistakes for herself and that I wish her luck. I just hope she doesn’t wait as long as I did, (although its 18 months now.) I don’t know how she does it. The majority of her friendships life and her boyfriend life are totally separate. It must be hard for her but she keeps plodding along.

So yeah, I was gutted when it all ended.. but I got over it and went into the I’m not interested in anyt relationship, just a few odd drunken snogs here and there .. and 2 and a half years later I’m just back on the dating scene. Started seeing a guy very recently who is so sweet an attentive.. it takes a bit of getting used to.. I feel like Carrie in SATC when she faints because of the Russian (although its not quite at that level!) but you know what I’m feeling like a GIRL again. I’m being all girly. And I don’t do girly!

Oh, and Ray:
I see people I love, who can never let go of the betrayal, and 15 years post divorce, still grab every chance to 'tsk' or 'hrmf' when their ex's name is mentioned.  They have mastered the art of manipulating a conversation about white bread to make reports the ex's latest stupid comment, or weight gain, or stupidly backing into the neighbours letterbox twenty six years ago all become naturally topical. In doing so, they feel justification for the hurt they will never let go of.  I don't want to feel that sort of resentment to the grave.  I want to forgive all of it and take it onboard as part of my character.

You have nailed my sister in one. With her ex husband...I feel like she juis needs to let go.

She is very like this but I am more like you Ray. Stuart is not my friend (I have an ouside perspective now and don't like what he was, but I could never hate him. and I just can't be bothered with be-littling him all the time. I have my odd outburst sure, but its just not worse the hassle.

Wow. That was much longer than I anticipated! But that’s my story! 
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
Hey rt! Would you have a story of your own?

I admire you all for being able to be so open here! I'll try, but probably in a more cryptic way.

Just to say that I usually never lasted more than a year and a half in an unpleasant relationship. The first one was with a sado masochist (he was English, that might account for it ;)), both physically and mentally - god did that hurt  ahem...
The second was with a guy who was so full of himself (French - definitely accounts for it :( that I just laughed at him in the end (OK, after some good crying). That one cost me loads of money too (I go for the broke ones).
Now I am 7 years into a relationship (with a German - I love travelling  ::)) in which there was love. The big one. Yes, 'was'. It is not so horrendous now that I need to run for my life, but... the growing indifference (mine), to meet his, which started before mine, will prove 'too much' sooner or later.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 05:09:47 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Come to think of it (yeah, this thread has been going round my head too), the 2 relationships I've had with women were NOT shitty at all;  just for the record, one American and one French  ;D -  Why I quit is a different story (those relationships felt too good, I was too screwed up then to enjoy and bear gentleness, and just happiness!)
Now I guess I know at last what direction (or should I say, orientation) I should take.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 05:08:24 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
To those who have posted their stories with such honesty..hugs and more power to you!
 :-*

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
You know what, Lucise? BBM was part of the process for me being able to face up to what I have always wanted but left aside - and still want.
Action will be the next step.
" - I'm vegan now."

dmmb_Mandy

Wow.

I am truly lucky to have met all of you.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
You know what, Lucise? BBM was part of the process for me being able to face up to what I have always wanted but left aside - and still want.

Ditto Isabelle.  Completely agree.
We all need a little nudge at one point or other to re-examine something(s) in our past/present - BBM was that nudge for me and for many others no doubt.  And like you say: taking action is the next step.  Cheers.
 :)

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good

Ditto Isabelle.  Completely agree.
We all need a little nudge at one point or other to re-examine something(s) in our past/present - BBM was that nudge for me and for many others no doubt.  And like you say: taking action is the next step.  Cheers.
 :)

BBM started my healing process. Like I said somewhere, my whole personality changed and I went from being emotional, bubbly and passionate to cold and empty. Brokeback made me feel again.

Thank you to everyone for sharing your stories. Reading them has made me realise even more how precious life is, and how we should take every moment and make the best of it.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
I've been reading and reading, and I have a thought that never before crystallized thus, but here it is: the only person who ever hurt me is me.  I refused to get hurt, so I never made a first move, never made myself vulnerable until I was sure of the other's attraction.  I've only been in two relationships; the first was practice and I knew it (although wouldn't have admitted it) -- that was the first German.  He was a sex machine.  And neat.  And he worshipped me.  What more could you want?  But he was needy, humor-challenged, and not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

The second relationship (the second German) (my sweetie-pie) was the one I was looking for, and I holy shit no freakin way found it.  I don't get it at all -- I was on a track towards never finding anyone because I refused to seek or be found... but I must have opened up a crack at just the right time, and poof, the grace of God slipped in.  NOTHING makes me believe in God so much as the luck, or fate, or grace, if you will, of being ready for R. when I was.  He feels something similar.

I hurt myself by falling into unrequited love, twice.  I've never told them.  I'm friends with them both, and the second one still hurts, a lot.  I wonder if it ever stops hurting.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Henrypie, I envy you your German who worship(ped) you!
Don't worry, it DOES stop hurting, but you transform the hurt into something else; can be more independence, more self-confidence, detachment... Depends on the sort of person you are.
But it does stop hurting. ;)
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Bumping this... interesting thread...

and can I just say I'm not that honest EVER! What do you guys do to me!?

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
 I have been avoiding this thread for some reason but, having just watched BbM and feeling particularly SOMETHING, I guess the time is right.

In my case 21 years. I met G when he was 20 and I was 26-he was beautiful and charming and damaged and crazy, just the kind of mistake a sheltered, insecure, quiet girl was bound to make. He offered to buy me a drink-had to go borrow money from one of his friends to do it-and I accepted, something I never did. He ended up drinking it and saying goofy things trying to impress me. I took him home with me, he took a bath in my tub. I was in like. Since it was never meant to be anything, I didn't see him again for several months when I happened upon him playing tennis. We saw each other on and off through the years-he got married and divorced, he had girlfriends, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, mental health issues and I had the memory of our good times together but I never had him. I could never understand, and still don't, how he could profess his love for me, how we could be sooo compatible in so many ways (and NOT in so many others) and yet never want me. My fear (always my fear) was he didn't because I'm black (and here lies the damage of racism-stupid Crash missed it by a mile). He assured me that was not the case but I was never able to trust his words. Well, he moved to another state a couple of years ago and after one visit, a great visit, I decided it was time to quit that dream. A dream that, in reality, made absolutely no sense for me. We talked to each other only on birthdays and for the most part I quit and stayed quited.

Then comes BbM and just opened all emotional baggage and threw it around the room. How did I let 24 years of my life go by waiting for something I didn't really need? How did I let myself get so lonely and detached and afraid? Oh, falling apart now-gotta go

Heathen

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Ooooh, RouxB...  I wish I could be with you and give you a big hug.
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
Thanks-I could use one... :'(

Heathen

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
Oh Ruby!  You just are beautiful.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..

Okay for those of you who have seen "Love Actually".. the story of my life is the Laura Linney character. And instead of having a mentally-unwell brother, I have an autistic son.

It always proves too much for the people who come near my life.  Like the Sarah character, I too, had a very brief taste of the man of my dreams who I worshipped from afar for a long time. I took a risk in telling him and it paid off. For a little while. Predictably, the complications of my life were too much for him and he broke it off.  Perhaps NOT the man of my dreams after all??  Who knows.

In any case, the door is now closed.  I don't do relationships anymore.
Chut up!

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
Oh Sheyne. "Love Actually" is one of my very favorite movies, and Sarah breaks my heart.

I'm glad you have a relationship with us!  ;D

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
Sheyne?!  What am I, chopped liver?!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
Sheyne-

And Ray has a surprise for you...

O0

Heathen

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
hehehehehehe

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Roux, Sheyne, *MWA*

I firmly believe there is someone out there for everyone. I have to believe that. We have to believe that.

They're just awaiting around the corner for us.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 04:43:16 am by kelda_shelton »

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Sheyne?!  What am I, chopped liver?!

No, baby. Just completely unattainable. Which is the only thing worse than chopped liver.. lol.

And you know what I was talking about anyway!!!  :-\
Chut up!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good

I have an autistic son.

It always proves too much for the people who come near my life.  Like the Sarah character, I too, had a very brief taste of the man of my dreams who I worshipped from afar for a long time. I took a risk in telling him and it paid off. For a little while. Predictably, the complications of my life were too much for him and he broke it off.  Perhaps NOT the man of my dreams after all??  Who knows.

Sheyne, one of my friends has an autistic son. I am not just saying, it's true. Her name is Laurence, if that can make her sound any more real. She is lucky in that her boyfriend is still with her. But I think I can imagine what it is like for you.
Another friend, very close, adopted a child who turned out to be handicapped. She made a big problem out of it whereas it was alright for her husband. Now there are on their way to divorce.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that for the people I know, it has not been a problem for their close ones in their lives, but for themselves. You are perfectly right to talk openly about having an autistic child, and those for whom it proves too much are best left alone. So probably that one was not the man of your life after all.
My friend with the autistic child found support from everyone including her son's school teachers, but also from an association of parents who have the same experience. You might get to meet someone there? Someone for whom it would not prove too much.
On a lighter note, if you have gender issues, why not try girls?? NO, I am NOT on a self-promoting tour here, I was just thinking out loud. Yeah, I am some thinker, I know.
All the best to you. But I believe you will find someone again some day. If you think you need to, but who needs a man anyway, hunh? ;)
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
I have an autistic son.

Sheyne, one of my friends has an autistic son. I am not just saying, it's true. Her name is Laurence, if that can make her sound any more real. She is lucky in that her boyfriend is still with her. But I think I can imagine what it is like for you.
Another friend, very close, adopted a child who turned out to be handicapped. She made a big problem out of it whereas it was alright for her husband. Now there are on their way to divorce.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that for the people I know, it has not been a problem for their close ones in their lives, but for themselves. You are perfectly right to talk openly about having an autistic child, and those for whom it proves too much are best left alone. So probably that one was not the man of your life after all.
My friend with the autistic child found support from everyone including her son's school teachers, but also from an association of parents who have the same experience. You might get to meet someone there? Someone for whom it would not prove too much.

Thanks for the thoughts. Although, I can't say enough how much Will's disability is NOT a problem for me. Its funny, people are always saying to me "must be tough", "I don't know how you do it" etc. The simple fact is: I've never known any differently. And it IS tough, but what parent would tell you differently?? Its a rough gig, if you're determined to do a good job, with or without a disability. And to Leighton's (man of my dreams... or maybe not) credit, he tried. But ultimately, trying was something he wasn't prepared to do for any great length of time. Mostly because Will was so time consuming for me and Leighton was a guy who liked a lot of attention.  (men, I swear.. lol) I don't resent him for deciding to break it off, but it still broke my heart.

I know I've got a great kid here. And I don't like telling people we meet that he has Autism, because they cease to see a rambunctious, happy, sweet and incredibly bright little boy and they start seeing a walking disability. Its frustrating. They automatically start cataloguing what he "can't" do and I'm just itching to yell at them "but look at what he CAN do!" Anyway..

On a lighter note, if you have gender issues, why not try girls?? NO, I am NOT on a self-promoting tour here, I was just thinking out loud. Yeah, I am some thinker, I know.
[/color]

Good god, Isabelle.  :o Don't let Ray hear you say that!!! lol..  He admitted Saturday night that he's on a mission to turn me gay. *in hoarse, dramatic whisper* Don't encourage him!!  :-X

;D
Chut up!

rtprod

Sheyne, not locked though I presume... 

rt

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Wow, Sheyne, I didn't know Ray had that idea too! I must really know you well then ;)

I did not mean "oh I imagine your son is a problem for you", I meant I can imagine what it is like if you are alone with a child, ANY child (I had that for a few years, and it's hard). And especially, I can imagine how hard it is to have OTHER people start seeing Will differently once they hear he has autism.
There HAS to be someone sensible enough and sensitive enough to be there WITH you if they love you, and all I'm saying is... yes, men do tend to need a lot of attention. That's why I was suggesting girls, you know, from experience, like  ;D... No offence boys!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 01:24:08 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good

Sheyne, not locked though I presume... 

rt

Yeah, locked-ish.   :-\  And I threw away the key.  But you never know.  Maybe one day somebody will find it.

Isabelle, you are too cute.  I have been with girls before actually. And I still think very fondly of my female relationships. *hoarse whisper* In any case, don't tell Ray, he doesn't need any further encouragement!!

And I did know what you meant about Will. Kids aren't easy. God. I want to shake these idealist friends of mine who can't WAIT to have kids cause they've got these shiny beautiful fantasies of cuddles and Kodak moments; of driving the kids to soccer and luxuriating over a Sunday breakfast in bed with two perfectly groomed, well-mannered kids frolickly happily around the room and completing their oh-so-perfect vision of parenthood. And anyone who's been there knows the reality is jam packed with sleep-deprived bags under your eyes, kids diving head-first at the tray on the bed and knocking scalding coffee flying and upending the jam toast over the bedspread. LOL...

*sheyne takes sarcasm cap off*

;D
Chut up!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
I want to shake these idealist friends of mine who can't WAIT to have kids cause they've got these shiny beautiful fantasies of cuddles and Kodak moments; of driving the kids to soccer and luxuriating over a Sunday breakfast in bed with two perfectly groomed, well-mannered kids frolickly happily around the room and completing their oh-so-perfect vision of parenthood. And anyone who's been there knows the reality is jam packed with sleep-deprived bags under your eyes, kids diving head-first at the tray on the bed and knocking scalding coffee flying and upending the jam toast over the bedspread. LOL...

;D

LOL Sheyne! All I have to say is EXACTLY,  EXACTLY, and  EXACTLY  :laugh:

Yeah, my female relationships are those I think of most fondly too. Methinks it's a sign... ;)
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good

I must admit, I have wondered the same thing myself once or twice.   ;) And then I remind myself that my very first crush as a kid was on a woman.  :-\ And then I wonder if there ain't somethin in that.   ::)  And then I remind myself that Ray will probably be reading this soon.  :o

*crushing this post into a ball and lobbing into nearest bin*

So what about those men creatures, huh?   :D Phwoarrrr...  Bring it on.. lol

Now, Ray would HAVE to agree with that one..  ;D ;D
Chut up!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good

So what about those men creatures, huh?   :D Phwoarrrr...  Bring it on.. lol

Yeah, we can keep men as an option, you know, for leisure, in our down time, like.. ;D
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
Yes Ray is reading this, but I can't make out what you are saying in those dramatic hoarse whispers.................... ::)  Anyone help me out?  I don't mean to be an insensitive man bastard or anything, but can I assume you are simply trying out your butch voice?

As for finding the key, ever hear of locksmiths?  Or pehaps a battering ram?  Then there's always the back door...............gotta go! :-X

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Yes Ray is reading this, but I can't make out what you are saying in those dramatic hoarse whispers.................... ::)  Anyone help me out?  I don't mean to be an insensitive man bastard or anything, but can I assume you are simply trying out your butch voice?

As for finding the key, ever hear of locksmiths?  Or pehaps a battering ram?  Then there's always the back door...............gotta go! :-X

You're on drugs, I swear... lol

I don't need to out my butch voice when I could out-butch you, bitch.  ;D

PS - I broke my ankle, Ray..  :'(  No more flirting with butchies at the Beat for me for a while..  :(
Chut up!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!

PS - I broke my ankle, Ray..  :'(  No more flirting with butchies at the Beat for me for a while..  :(

Sheyne:
Have you ACTUALLY broken your ankle or is this just another lets annoy ray moment!?  ;D :laugh:

If so *sympathy* and how the hell did you do that!?

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Well as it turns out, the ankle isn't broken - as I was first told. A more high tech x-ray showed that the stress fracture I already had in the same ankle has gotten a little worse but I have torn lots of tendons and ligaments. All things considered, a break would have been better in terms of recovery.

As for how I did it... uhh.. It has been recommended to me that I make up a great lie to make it sound better.  As I cannot bring myself to do this, I shall admit the truth, as embarrassing as it is: I was making my my way to the toilet in the middle of the night and stood on one of Will's toys.  ???  :-\  :(

Chut up!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
lol!  ;D that'll teach you to put all 'em toys away!!

awww...poor Sheyne...  >:(

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
I haven't given it up but I do know what I want and I won't settle for what's handy so... 6 years single.  No biggie.  I'm too self focused at the moment anyway.

My too much was a guy I dated for seven months (I tried to break up after 4.  It didn't take) when I was 25.  His father was very emotionally abusive.  M found out in therapy a couple of years later that what he was looking for was someone to treat him badly.  Since I didn't he had to make up that I was.  In other words, I never knew what I was going to do or say next that he would twist around and interpret as being anti-M.  Talk about walking on eggshells.  I dreaded going home after working at Blockbuster.  Think about that.

What made things worse was after we broke up he had no job, no place to go, no money, so I adopted the co-dependent role of the caretaker and we kept living together in the same room, in the same bed.  Of course I started seeing other people and, knowing he couldn't handle it, lying about it.  I hate lying.  I will never get myself into a situation like that again.

Finally, when I made the decision to move from Orange County to San Francisco, I knew I couldn't have that kind of negativity around while I got ready to relocate.  So I went to visit my Mom for advice.  She once had to throw a fiance out of the house and knew how to go about it.  Well advised, I went home and told M that we had talked everything about us into the ground and that he was leaving that day.  No more talking.  Period.  To his credit, when I got back from work that night, every trace of him was gone.  Funny how after months of "I have nowhere to go," he found a friend to take him in so quickly.  What a relief.  Last I heard he had his own theatre production company in the midwest somewhere and was doing very well.  Good for him.

That's my too much story.  I don't tolerate unworkable situations for long.