Author Topic: Are you newly arrived from IMDb? Nice to know you, Friend...  (Read 74490 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Are you newly arrived from IMDb? Nice to know you, Friend...
« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2007, 01:21:13 am »

I wrote two posts over at IMDb exhorting people to abandon all the heartbreak and pain I was seeing over there.  It reminded me so much of what we went through in March, 2006.  And I knew some of us literally felt like we had PTSD by the time we got here.  I hated seeing those lovely people trying to build something beautiful that was getting torn down over and over again, when we had our little paradise right here for the joining.

I'm glad they are heading over here Clarissa. Nobody deserves to put up with all that abuse over at IMDb. We all put up with that nonsense last year.

I'm  happy to see they're are doing something about it. It's so much nicer here. It's safe and friendly. It's home!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2007, 01:35:47 am »
I tried to go on there to see what everyone is talking about but the sign up discouraged me...too much info to enter!  :P

yeah, I AM that lazy!

If it ain't Bettermost it ain't worth my time!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know what you mean Jess. They want to know everything but the brand of kitchen sink we use.

Who knows? They might even want to know about that now!  ::)

You're better off without it Jess.  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2007, 04:48:25 am »
what the hell is going on over at imdb anyway? Every post in a few of the ones I get notice for is deleted immediately.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #163 on: June 13, 2007, 05:17:58 am »
what the hell is going on over at imdb anyway? Every post in a few of the ones I get notice for is deleted immediately.

When you get the notice, what is the name of the "bumper" in the notice?

That will tell me whether it is friend or foe.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #164 on: June 13, 2007, 06:04:40 am »
ok--I went through my trash folder and these are the names of the bumpers. In each case the post had been deleted. All are from the "Is there a place called Dubois?" thread--belindah, Lapaloma, Lapaloma, jean-claude_pierre, Lapaloma.

There were others but I emptied the trash and no longer know who they are.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2007, 06:19:10 am »
ok--I went through my trash folder and these are the names of the bumpers. In each case the post had been deleted. All are from the "Is there a place called Dubois?" thread--belindah, Lapaloma, Lapaloma, jean-claude_pierre, Lapaloma.

There were others but I emptied the trash and no longer know who they are.

ALL the ones you mentioned are part of the group of troll identities bumping and deleting threads.  There are others as well.

They usually pile on to a post that has little content to it, and "bump and delete" it to the top of the pile (sometimes several times a day) to crowd out any real conversation.  You will recognize their work as you look through the posts in the threads and realize that sometimes there are now pages and pages of Post Deleted messages.

The "Is there a place called Dubois?" is exactly the kind of thread they bump.  The answer is yes or no. What more is there to discuss?  The thread should die a natural death -- instead the thread lives on because a group of trolls keep pushing it to the top of the pile.  They do this to clog the board with inanity, and time it so the message will appear on the IMDb front page message board "sampler window".  The messages tend to be bumped in a similar order everyday, at similar times, by the same cast of identities - probably indicative of a "bot" - this isn't someone sitting at the computer doing it everyday, it is a program running on autopilot designed to destroy the board.

Some people hope that the trolls will eventually get "bored" and move on.  Bots don't get bored. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 07:05:52 am by TOoP/Bruce »
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #166 on: June 13, 2007, 08:18:16 am »

Eek! All of  those names give me the shivers ... all trolls .... .... the only time they left their posts up was when one of them started a thread about a fictitious Brokeback Barbeque for true brokies only ... pathetic!

Susie

Exactly so!

Every person who claimed to have been at that event is one of the identities of the trolls attacking the other board.

The original post is now deleted, and most of the messages have been stripped out of it, but that now empty thread is one of the ones being bumped nightly.

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #167 on: June 13, 2007, 09:04:34 am »
Exactly so!

Every person who claimed to have been at that event is one of the identities of the trolls attacking the other board.

The original post is now deleted, and most of the messages have been stripped out of it, but that now empty thread is one of the ones being bumped nightly.

The one consolation is that their life more than likely imitates what's going on on that board.... empty and meaningless.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #168 on: June 13, 2007, 01:16:53 pm »
These last several posts from today, about bots doing the bumping, and the timing and sequencing of the bumps, and about posts of a fictitious BBQ that only trolls claim to have gone to - I had no idea. 

Tell you what, this is my first thought when I hear this - it's to vacate the board completely in terms of the warm, cozy posts, and leave just a few posts each day that have real movie content, not even all that in-depth, just enough to show new people it's an active board (and at IMDb, 5 new posts a day is a lot for most forums), and respond to new people's posts.  And then move the living and loving to here.

I also think this should be reported to the right journalists.  It actually seems like an incredible story to me.  Is it high-tech homophobia? 

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #169 on: June 13, 2007, 01:37:35 pm »
There is also a growing suspicion that IMDb was actively deleting posts that referenced BetterMost, although I see a few of late have been left to stand.

To avoid search programs designed to delete threads that reference here, some people have been putting extra spaces between the letters:

B e t t e r M o s t

not

BetterMost