Author Topic: Phone-y stories  (Read 10272 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Phone-y stories
« on: June 05, 2007, 11:15:45 pm »
Our cell phones...where would we be without them? We hate them sometimes, but we couldn't live without them! I couldn't anyway. It seems like a phunny phone incident happens to me a coupla times a week. Here's one...

I was walking with my Brokie friend Adam to lunch when his phone started to ring. He moaned, "They tracked me down" and answered it and then said, "It's you calling me!" I said that was not possible because I didn't have my phone with me. But then I fished around in my purse and dug it out and sure enough, it was calling him!!

Now tell us one of your phunny stories!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

injest

Re: Phone-y stories
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 11:40:09 pm »
I am so used to caller Id that when I answer my cellphone I assume that people KNOW where I am... :P

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 10:07:49 am »
Not exactly a personal funny experience, but one of my other interests is historical reenactments and recreation of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance.

It amuses me greatly that people who are pretending to live in the Middle Ages or the Renaissance simply cannot function without cell phones and PCs.  ;D

Oh, and you have not lived until you have been nearly run down by a woman in full Elizabethan England court dress on a motorized wheelchair.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 10:10:32 am »
Not exactly a personal funny experience, but one of my other interests is historical reenactments and recreation of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance.

It amuses me greatly that people who are pretending to live in the Middle Ages or the Renaissance simply cannot function without cell phones and PCs.  ;D

Oh, and you have not lived until you have been nearly run down by a woman in full Elizabethan England court dress on a motorized wheelchair.  ;D
Now that sounds like some high class entertainment there!  :laugh:
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 11:19:27 am »

Jeff we need videos of that stuff...It is some of the funniest stuff ive heard in a while......

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 11:29:38 am »

Jeff we need videos of that stuff...It is some of the funniest stuff ive heard in a while......

I wish I had some.  :-\

And of course my intent was not to make fun of someone who needs an assistive device. It's just that the incongruous picture of a woman with a great big "millwheel" ruff around her neck and a huge "farthingale" skirt tooling along on a motorized wheelchair strikes me as very funny.  :-\

So does the image of a guy in full "plate" armor talking on a cell phone.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 12:20:39 pm »

I understand, totally.  I love irony and incongruity.  That is some high class entertainment, for sure

Beautiful mind

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 01:11:59 pm »
Great start, everybody! Here's another one. Amazingly, this phunny story also involves my FRiend Adam! We were at a downtown restaurant just before the BBQ and I left to pick up Chrissi at the airport. But then Adam calls me to come back to the restaurant because he forgot something he wanted to get from me. We continued talking on the phone about BBQ business until I pulled up in front of him in the parking lot and then we put down our phones at the same time and continued talking in mid-sentence! In subsequent days our phones became like umbilical cords!!

Wanted: More phunny phone stories from you!!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 05:41:52 pm by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

moremojo

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 01:52:13 pm »
A very recent phone-related story: For the purposes of our trip (which was eventually truncated), my sister invested in a cell-phone for the first time, for my mom and I to use on the road, whereupon after our return she would reclaim it for her own use (which has indeed occurred by now).

Anyway, when my mother and I had stopped in Cross Plains to see the home of Robert E. Howard, we discovered upon approaching the house that various local phone numbers were posted beside the front door, the visitor being instructed to call them if s/he were interested in touring the site. We made repeated attempts to use our new newfangled device, to no avail--we supposed we were forgetting some necessary procedure my sister had briefly shown us the night before.

Then, a touch of serendipity: A car drove up, and the man getting out (there was a woman also) asked us if we wanted to tour the house. We said yes, and said we had just been in the process of calling; the man said that his number was the last one listed. The woman (the man's wife [nee Estes, she eventually told us]), who took us on the tour, said to us, after we had related our trouble getting our phone to work, that Cross Plains was noted for poor cell-phone reception. That may have been the source of our problem, but everything worked out quite okay in the end. And I hope never to be compelled to work a cell-phone again.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 02:43:44 pm »
When I was staying at my brother's in Denver, he and his daughter knocked on the apartment door and I, in a back room on the computer probably posting at BetterMost, didn't hear the knock. So he called my cell phone. I picked it up, and went to the door to let them in.

We kept talking on our cell phones when we were still in the same room. Then my brother closed his phone. "How dare you hang up on me!!" I yelled at him.