Author Topic: Phone-y stories  (Read 10177 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Phone-y stories
« on: June 05, 2007, 11:15:45 pm »
Our cell phones...where would we be without them? We hate them sometimes, but we couldn't live without them! I couldn't anyway. It seems like a phunny phone incident happens to me a coupla times a week. Here's one...

I was walking with my Brokie friend Adam to lunch when his phone started to ring. He moaned, "They tracked me down" and answered it and then said, "It's you calling me!" I said that was not possible because I didn't have my phone with me. But then I fished around in my purse and dug it out and sure enough, it was calling him!!

Now tell us one of your phunny stories!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

injest

Re: Phone-y stories
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 11:40:09 pm »
I am so used to caller Id that when I answer my cellphone I assume that people KNOW where I am... :P

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 10:07:49 am »
Not exactly a personal funny experience, but one of my other interests is historical reenactments and recreation of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance.

It amuses me greatly that people who are pretending to live in the Middle Ages or the Renaissance simply cannot function without cell phones and PCs.  ;D

Oh, and you have not lived until you have been nearly run down by a woman in full Elizabethan England court dress on a motorized wheelchair.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 10:10:32 am »
Not exactly a personal funny experience, but one of my other interests is historical reenactments and recreation of the Middle Ages and the Renaissance.

It amuses me greatly that people who are pretending to live in the Middle Ages or the Renaissance simply cannot function without cell phones and PCs.  ;D

Oh, and you have not lived until you have been nearly run down by a woman in full Elizabethan England court dress on a motorized wheelchair.  ;D
Now that sounds like some high class entertainment there!  :laugh:
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 11:19:27 am »

Jeff we need videos of that stuff...It is some of the funniest stuff ive heard in a while......

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 11:29:38 am »

Jeff we need videos of that stuff...It is some of the funniest stuff ive heard in a while......

I wish I had some.  :-\

And of course my intent was not to make fun of someone who needs an assistive device. It's just that the incongruous picture of a woman with a great big "millwheel" ruff around her neck and a huge "farthingale" skirt tooling along on a motorized wheelchair strikes me as very funny.  :-\

So does the image of a guy in full "plate" armor talking on a cell phone.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 12:20:39 pm »

I understand, totally.  I love irony and incongruity.  That is some high class entertainment, for sure

Beautiful mind

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 01:11:59 pm »
Great start, everybody! Here's another one. Amazingly, this phunny story also involves my FRiend Adam! We were at a downtown restaurant just before the BBQ and I left to pick up Chrissi at the airport. But then Adam calls me to come back to the restaurant because he forgot something he wanted to get from me. We continued talking on the phone about BBQ business until I pulled up in front of him in the parking lot and then we put down our phones at the same time and continued talking in mid-sentence! In subsequent days our phones became like umbilical cords!!

Wanted: More phunny phone stories from you!!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 05:41:52 pm by Front-Ranger »

moremojo

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 01:52:13 pm »
A very recent phone-related story: For the purposes of our trip (which was eventually truncated), my sister invested in a cell-phone for the first time, for my mom and I to use on the road, whereupon after our return she would reclaim it for her own use (which has indeed occurred by now).

Anyway, when my mother and I had stopped in Cross Plains to see the home of Robert E. Howard, we discovered upon approaching the house that various local phone numbers were posted beside the front door, the visitor being instructed to call them if s/he were interested in touring the site. We made repeated attempts to use our new newfangled device, to no avail--we supposed we were forgetting some necessary procedure my sister had briefly shown us the night before.

Then, a touch of serendipity: A car drove up, and the man getting out (there was a woman also) asked us if we wanted to tour the house. We said yes, and said we had just been in the process of calling; the man said that his number was the last one listed. The woman (the man's wife [nee Estes, she eventually told us]), who took us on the tour, said to us, after we had related our trouble getting our phone to work, that Cross Plains was noted for poor cell-phone reception. That may have been the source of our problem, but everything worked out quite okay in the end. And I hope never to be compelled to work a cell-phone again.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 02:43:44 pm »
When I was staying at my brother's in Denver, he and his daughter knocked on the apartment door and I, in a back room on the computer probably posting at BetterMost, didn't hear the knock. So he called my cell phone. I picked it up, and went to the door to let them in.

We kept talking on our cell phones when we were still in the same room. Then my brother closed his phone. "How dare you hang up on me!!" I yelled at him.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 03:44:04 pm »
I don't have a cell-phone. But my husband has and every now and then, I borrow it.
I sat with my friend in a café when we heard a cell phone ringing from somewhere down (we were sitting on a kind of indoor balcony, above the others, with great view of the whole café). The ringing went on and on, did even get louder after a while. We were both irritated that the owner of the cell phone didn't answer it. After a while, I said to my friend: "Why does this dumbass not answer his phone? It has the same annoying ringing sound like my husband's cellphone."

My friend asked: "It couldn't be that by chance, you have your husband's cell phone in your handbag?" - OMG, of course I did! The dumbass was me  :laugh:. I am so not used to cellphones, that the thought never occured to me, it could be me whose phone ringed. And the noise came from somewhere down because I had put my handbag on the floor.

injest

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 08:03:16 pm »
I wish I had some.  :-\

And of course my intent was not to make fun of someone who needs an assistive device. It's just that the incongruous picture of a woman with a great big "millwheel" ruff around her neck and a huge "farthingale" skirt tooling along on a motorized wheelchair strikes me as very funny.  :-\

So does the image of a guy in full "plate" armor talking on a cell phone.  ;D

of  course not...no one thought that..

it does sound hilarious....and I am gonna assume they don't use privys... ;)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 08:43:54 pm »
it does sound hilarious....and I am gonna assume they don't use privys... ;)

Well, they do have handicapped-sized "port-a-castles" at these events. ...  ;)  ;D

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 09:19:01 pm »
funny cell phone stories.

Ok...

There was the time that I went to visit a friend.  She was giving her 2 year old daughter a bath.  Her house phone rang, and she asked me to watch her daughter while she got the phone.  Of course, after mom had left, Sherridan decided at that moment to get a big handful of bubbles and try to eat them.  So, of course, when I leaned over to stop her, the cell phone fell out of my pocket, and into the tub.

:o

Company wouldn't replace it because the phone still worked, but the ring sounded like it was muffled under a pillow.

>:(

Then, there was the time that I was walking through town, talking on my cell, and got so involved in the conversation, that I walked into a telephone pole.  And apologized to the phone pole.  lmao

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 09:35:14 pm »
Then, there was the time that I was walking through town, talking on my cell, and got so involved in the conversation, that I walked into a telephone pole.  And apologized to the phone pole.  lmao

That's a good one!

(Did the pole accept your apology?  ;)  :laugh: )

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 06:24:41 am »
That's a good one!

(Did the pole accept your apology?  ;)  :laugh: )

No, it just stood there in silence.  I think I offended it somehow....

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 01:31:30 am »
This were mention on the CBS morning show in our area and I immediately thought of this tread.

:-\ Jeanne from California saw a woman talking on a cell phone at a funeral.

:-\ Debbie swears a woman at her church took Communion while talking on a cell phone. Maybe she was talking to the Lord.

:laugh: On a visit to Washington, Brent and his wife saw a beggar. As they approached, the beggar took a cell phone from his ear and asked if they could spare some change.

:laugh: And at the Coliseum in Rome, Kurt and his wife saw a man dressed in the authentic costume of a Roman centurion talking on a cell phone. Et tu, Verizon?
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 02:16:31 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh:

Tell me more!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 02:18:38 pm »
No, it just stood there in silence.  I think I offended it somehow....
It was waiting for you to phone the apology in.

;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 02:53:04 pm »
Perhaps........  ;D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 03:11:20 pm »
Three friends of mine from England were here visiting me recently (one of them is still here) and I took them up to Conner Prairie, a living history museum located on the north side of Indianapolis. As we were walking around the settlement, we noticed a woman dressed in a 1820's frontier costume, sitting in front of her cabin talking on her cell phone.   

She must have been taking her lunch break.  :-\
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 11:17:05 pm »
My favorite cellphone story came from a guy named Charles from Chicago, who was a stall in the mensroom and heard someone in the next stall say, "Hello". Startled, he responded, "Hi". Which prompted the voice to say, "Any plans for tonight? "

That brought a quick, "Sorry, I'm busy", to which the voice next door responded, "I'll just have to call you back. Every time I ask you a question, the idiot in the next stall answers".

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 11:18:29 pm »
Would you believe a driving-school instructor talking on a phone while giving a lesson to a student driver? True according to CBS news who received a letter from Clyde in Los Angeles who saw it.

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 12:02:37 am »
Read this today while surfing the web

A Funny Cell Phone Story

By MarcieMoo
Posted Monday, March 06, 2006 on Marcie's Blog
Discussion: Life Journals

I lose everything.

It's just who I am.

For instance, I recently lost my purse for about a week. Previous to that I lost my cell phone for about two weeks. I'm frequently losing cell phones and papers. I'm just horrible, frankly.

Well...last night we went through the cell phone thing again. I couldn't find it and couldn't find it. I was doing laundry down in the basement, so I took a break from my search to go put another load in. I emptied the dryer. Then I proceeded to empty the washer and put that load into the dryer. I got to the bottom of the wet clothes in the washer and what did I see? Oh...I bet you can't guess...

My CELL PHONE!

Yup. Right there at the bottom of the still-damp washer tub.

Of course it didn't power on. I chucked about ti because my contract is almost up and I'll be moving on anyway, but I was still a little sad because I was a doofus.

Anyway, I got back upstairs, I took the battery off and left the flip phone open, hoping it would dry out.

I came home from school today and put the battery back on, and wouldn't you know it? The thing fired right back up! I almost died laughing. It's really no worse for wear, except for a little condensation in the clock and the screen has some wet parts that look like cheetah spots.

I may be able to use it for the rest of my contract. My amazing swimming cell phone!:)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 01:15:28 pm »
Here's a story I first saw a couple of years ago and thought was funny. It's by a woman who got a new cell phone and somehow was assigned a phone number that used to belong to Chris Rock.

http://www.laurasnyctales.com/current/chris-rock.html

Now here's my cell phone story:

My husband is a writer who covers, among other things, a big cell phone company. So the company lent him a fancy expensive new cellphone to write about. It had a bunch of video games on it, so he gave it to my kids to test drive on a drive from Chicago to Minneapolis.

It was a hot summer day. We made a pit stop at a hotel. When my sons noticed the hotel pool, they asked at the front desk if they could take a quick dip. Sure, just 50 cents for towels! They didn't have bathing suits, so they just wore their shorts and plunged right in ...

:o

... You guessed it. My son had the fancy expensive phone in his pocket.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 01:42:41 pm »
Here's a story I first saw a couple of years ago and thought was funny. It's by a woman who got a new cell phone and somehow was assigned a phone number that used to belong to Chris Rock.

Thats a cool story!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 02:52:35 pm »

Loved the Chris Rock cell phone story  :laugh:

... You guessed it. My son had the fancy expensive phone in his pocket

Ooops. Did you get away with it or did you have to pay for the phone?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 04:37:24 pm »
I think my husband got his employer to pay for it. He wasn't very happy about making that request, though.  >:(

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2007, 06:02:39 pm »

i loved that Chris Rock story....it was totally awsome.. funny omgosh

Beautiful mind

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Phunny car stories
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2007, 11:24:53 am »
I was driving around Boulder, Colorado, with a friend and I was complaining that hybrid cars like mine are getting to be so common that I don't feel fashionable driving it anymore! As I came to a stop at the intersection, a silver Prius just like mine drove up on my left and turned in front of me. "See what I mean?" I groused. Just then ANOTHER silver Prius darted up on my right and turned in front of me. For a split second, there were silver Prii in three quadrants of the intersection! My friend and I laughed in dismay, shock, and delight at the invasion of the silver Prii!!