Author Topic: bull-riding and calf-roping  (Read 7646 times)

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
bull-riding and calf-roping
« on: June 07, 2007, 04:32:50 pm »

Has anyone ever seen calf-roping at a rodeo? How is it organized? How is it judged? Is it a time thing like bull-riding?

Also, in rodeo circles, does anyone know if it's considered a "lesser" activity? Leser difficulties, lesser injuries, less "macho" in other words? This was the impression made on me by an article in Saturday's Globe and Mail (Toronto) about three young cowboys starting out on their bull-riding careers in British Columbia. (Images of our Jack, of course, kept popping up in my mind.) Anyway, when talking about themselves, they saw bull-riding as "the top of the food chain", thereby placing calf-roping somewhat lower down on the scale.

This contrast between bull-riding and calf-roping can be seen in contrasting the two fathers - del Mar, Sr., and Twist Sr. Ennis's father is associated with calf-roping. We learn from Ennis early on that he was a "fine roper", though he seems to have used his skills mostly on ranches as Ennis tells us he "didn't rodeo much". Ennis, before he has met Jack, has rodeoed a little and I suspect this was as a calf-roper. His story at the Thanksgiving dinner about his three second bullride sounds as though this was his one and only attempt it.

Ennis's father, too, has a fairly disparaging view of rodeo cowboys in general and maybe bull-riders in particular. According to Ennis, he thought they were all *beep* ups". Jack, of course, comes to the defence of the bull-riders in that splendidly warmhearted scene where he ends up tumbling to the ground.

Twist Sr., on the other hand, is firmly placed in the bull-riding category. In his younger days, according to Jack, he was "pretty well knowed" but his essential meaness of spirit is shown when Jack tells us he "never taught me a thing" nor ever came to see him ride. I wonder if Jack, in taking up bull-riding, was trying to emulate his father or perhaps get his respect.

One last comment on calf-roping. When Jimbo, the rodeo clown, leaves Jack at the bar, he joins a group of men. Did anyone spot that these were all calf-ropers? I'm not sure how anyone could tell from just watching the movie but it's explicit in the script:

Watches JIMBO walk over, sit down with a table full of calf-ropers,
all of them wearing pigin strings over their shoulders like bandoliers.

Maybe it's the pigin strings - any one know what they are? - that identify them as calf-ropers. I'm not sure if there's any significance in the fact that Jimbo joins the calf-roping group. Maybe rodeo clowns were thought of as well down the pecking order and therefore never invited to sit with the big boys, the bull riders.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: bull-riding and calf-roping
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 07:05:19 pm »
His story at the Thanksgiving dinner about his three second bullride sounds as though this was his one and only attempt it.

Friend, Ennis didn't ride bulls. Junior asks him to tell about the time he rode "broncs" in the rodeo, and he concludes his little tale with a reference to his "saddle bronc career." He was riding a horse, a "bucking bronco." I think the reference to a saddle makes that pretty clear.

But I agree with you, it sounds like that was his one and only attempt.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 07:39:44 pm »

Which makes his reply to Jack in the bar "Once in a while ... when I got the entry fee in my pocket" particularly poignant and cute. Sounds like he's stretching the truth a little to make a good impression on Jack.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 09:32:36 pm »

Which makes his reply to Jack in the bar "Once in a while ... when I got the entry fee in my pocket" particularly poignant and cute. Sounds like he's stretching the truth a little to make a good impression on Jack.

I've thought that, too.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 10:56:24 pm »
My assumptiom was that Ennis was calf-roping rather than bull-riding when he'd participated in a few rodeos prior to his meeting with Jack. I've never been to a rodeo, so I may be way off, but I'm assuming that there would be number of different games or challenges in an afternoon or evening's entertainment. For instance at the rodeo where Jack meets Lureen, she is taking part in some sort of horse riding test. Any rodeo experts out there who can comment?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 10:12:43 pm »
My assumptiom was that Ennis was calf-roping rather than bull-riding when he'd participated in a few rodeos prior to his meeting with Jack. I've never been to a rodeo, so I may be way off, but I'm assuming that there would be number of different games or challenges in an afternoon or evening's entertainment. For instance at the rodeo where Jack meets Lureen, she is taking part in some sort of horse riding test. Any rodeo experts out there who can comment?

I am far from an expert but I have been to three or four rodeos now, and Ennis was a bronc rider, as Jeff Wrangler said. Jack was a bullrider, which is a solitary event, just you and the bull for (hopefully) eight seconds. The calf roping events can be one rider or a team of two, one who ropes the front legs and the other gets the back ones. Lureen was competing in the barrel racing event.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 10:52:40 pm »

Has anyone ever seen calf-roping at a rodeo? How is it organized? How is it judged? Is it a time thing like bull-riding?

Also, in rodeo circles, does anyone know if it's considered a "lesser" activity? Leser difficulties, lesser injuries, less "macho" in other words? This was the impression made on me by an article in Saturday's Globe and Mail (Toronto) about three young cowboys starting out on their bull-riding careers in British Columbia. (Images of our Jack, of course, kept popping up in my mind.) Anyway, when talking about themselves, they saw bull-riding as "the top of the food chain", thereby placing calf-roping somewhat lower down on the scale.

This contrast between bull-riding and calf-roping can be seen in contrasting the two fathers - del Mar, Sr., and Twist Sr. Ennis's father is associated with calf-roping. We learn from Ennis early on that he was a "fine roper", though he seems to have used his skills mostly on ranches as Ennis tells us he "didn't rodeo much". Ennis, before he has met Jack, has rodeoed a little and I suspect this was as a calf-roper. His story at the Thanksgiving dinner about his three second bullride sounds as though this was his one and only attempt it.

Ennis's father, too, has a fairly disparaging view of rodeo cowboys in general and maybe bull-riders in particular. According to Ennis, he thought they were all *beep* ups". Jack, of course, comes to the defence of the bull-riders in that splendidly warmhearted scene where he ends up tumbling to the ground.

Twist Sr., on the other hand, is firmly placed in the bull-riding category. In his younger days, according to Jack, he was "pretty well knowed" but his essential meaness of spirit is shown when Jack tells us he "never taught me a thing" nor ever came to see him ride. I wonder if Jack, in taking up bull-riding, was trying to emulate his father or perhaps get his respect.

One last comment on calf-roping. When Jimbo, the rodeo clown, leaves Jack at the bar, he joins a group of men. Did anyone spot that these were all calf-ropers? I'm not sure how anyone could tell from just watching the movie but it's explicit in the script:

Watches JIMBO walk over, sit down with a table full of calf-ropers,
all of them wearing pigin strings over their shoulders like bandoliers.

Maybe it's the pigin strings - any one know what they are? - that identify them as calf-ropers. I'm not sure if there's any significance in the fact that Jimbo joins the calf-roping group. Maybe rodeo clowns were thought of as well down the pecking order and therefore never invited to sit with the big boys, the bull riders.

to watch it you need some nachos, jalepeno peppers,  and a several glasses of Lone Star beer.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 11:06:03 pm »
Good question:
 I wonder if Jack, in taking up bull-riding, was trying to emulate his father or perhaps get his respect.

Really interesting!

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 11:10:38 pm »
Good question:
 I wonder if Jack, in taking up bull-riding, was trying to emulate his father or perhaps get his respect.

Really interesting!

Hugs!

BINGO! Cowboy, you got your full 8 seconds and a rodeo buckle.  ;D

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 11:13:27 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

You made me laugh, laugh, and laugh!!!

But, my butt wants the cowboy instead of the buckle!

That reward would be better?? Like: Or is it something else instead of my butt that yearns??

Hugs!