Author Topic: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition  (Read 2160755 times)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Cheek-to-Cheek
« Reply #3440 on: June 23, 2008, 11:20:36 pm »
Ennis was more than aware that Jack craved the feel of his cheek.  He couldn’t figure out why, though.  Jack found ways to snatch a feel, to caress Ennis’ jaw.   It happened while they bathed together in a frigid stream; while they prepared and ate supper; while Ennis slept, and when they made love.  Jack pressed his cheek to Ennis’ and rubbed softly, up and down.  Ennis chuckled to himself when he thought about his stubble rubbing against Jack’s smooth jaw.  But Jack couldn’t seem to help himself.  Ennis allowed his lover to run a palm against his jaw, and follow it up with a cheek-to-cheek caress.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Cowboy Romance
« Reply #3441 on: June 24, 2008, 12:01:13 am »
Jack was late to the office by about 15 minutes, but he didn’t fear a chewing out by the boss.  The fact that Jack was the boss’ son in law didn’t mean a thing; he was subject to the same rules and regulations as any other employee.  L.D. was out of town visiting relatives, and when the cats away…

“Hello, Mr. Twist!”  Gina Christmas sat behind her desk and smiled at Jack as he passed.  “Nice day, isn’t it?”  Jack smiled at the young woman and stopped to return her greeting.  “Very nice day, Gina.  How you doin?”  Jack noticed Gina’s plump cheeks turning red at the sound of his voice.  He knew Gina harbored a crush, and everyone else at the dealership knew, even Lureen.  But no one thought to do anything about it.  Jack was a man who could have any woman he wanted.  Gina being smitten with him was only normal.  “I’m fine,” Gina chirped as she placed her half-read novel down on her desk.  “Good,” Jack mumbled politely, and walked away to his office.

Newsome Motors employees took lunch at noon, and usually congregated at the back of the dealership where L.D. had picnic tables and benches placed in a row.  Jack dropped his lunch box on the table and slid onto the bench.  A dozen or so employees were already eating, including Gina.  She sat at Jack’s left, and read from her book as she nibbled on a chicken sandwich.  Jack produced a turkey club sandwich from his box and took a big bite.  He felt like talking and took notice of Gina’s novel.  “What ya reading,” Jack asked, absently.  “Gina turned the cover over so that Jack could read the title.  “Dare to Kiss a Cowboy,” Jack whispered.  “You like reading about cowboys?”  Gina smiled a bit.  “Yeah, especially cowboy romances.  Those cowboys are sure passionate!”  Gina squirmed a bit on the bench, and Jack stifled a chuckle.  “Cowboys are passionate, huhn,” Jack stammered, amused.  “Yes, sir,” Gina croaked.  Jack looked at the cover with its stylized picture of an impossibly handsome, shirtless cowboy with sandy hair carrying a beautiful woman in his toned arms.  The man on the cover reminded him of someone.  Jack was not about to argue with Gina when it came to cowboys and passion.  He stared at the picture on the cover a bit longer than necessary, and in a blink, he saw himself materializing on the cover, taking the woman’s place in the muscular arms of the sexy cowboy.  “Mr. Twist, you okay?”  Gina’s voice interrupted Jack’s daydream and brought him back to earth.  “I’m okay, Gina,” Jack whispered.  He ate the rest of his lunch in silence. 

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Right 90
« Reply #3442 on: June 25, 2008, 09:21:04 pm »
“Do you want fried chicken, or baked chicken?” Lessie Boykin stood before Ennis and Jack and pointed to a freshly thawed bird.  Ennis looked over at Jack and both said in unison: “fried!”  Lessie laughed heartily and reached for the unusually plumb chicken.  “Well, it looks like I got me some men here who know exactly what they want!”  Ennis and Jack beamed.  They were extremely fond of Lessie and appreciated her hospitality more than they could say.

Lessie Boykin was a heavy set black woman in her late 40s.  She owned a small shotgun house in Morgan, Utah, and was the only black woman in the entire city.  Lessie was rather pretty with her shoulder length hair and expressive brown eyes.  She was fond of shift dresses, as they hid a multitude of sins.  Ennis and Jack, and especially little Stanley, swore she was one of the most beautiful women they ever laid eyes on.  Stanley Boykin heard the word chicken and ran into the small kitchen.  He jumped up and down on short but powerful legs as he watched his mother dress the bird.  “We havin’ chicken for dinner, ma,”  Stanley asked, excitedly.  Lessie didn’t answer, but continued the chore of cutting the large bird into pieces.  Jack was seated at the kitchen table and waved Stanley over.  Stanley grinned at Jack and jumped onto his lap.  Ennis nodded to Jack as he sat there holding the Negro boy.  One thing Ennis noticed about Jack: he was magic with all sorts of people.  Where Jack Twist was concerned, race, gender, nationality didn’t matter, as he looked at the inner person.  Ennis was not so tolerant, but being around Jack softened him up considerably.  He didn’t care that Lessie and her boy were Negro.  Lessie’s money was green, and she paid well for the odd jobs that Ennis and Jack did for her around her modest spread.  She even put them up in a small bungalow that her deceased husband, a white minister, built out back of the house on their land.  Lessie hired Ennis and Jack to put a new roof on the bungalow, paint her bedrooms, and do a bit of light landscaping.  Ennis and Jack were thankful for the work and managed to save a small sum in the several weeks that they lived out back on the Boykin spread.  And that Lessie was indeed a saint.  She was full of Christian kindness, being the widow of a minister, and all.  Lessie took great pains to make Ennis and Jack feel like part of the family.  Ennis looked at Stanley and was transported back to the afternoon when Jack almost ran him over:

Ennis was out of the car first and looked around for the boy he was certain ran out in front of the truck.  Jack was frantic, convinced that he had killed someone.  But when they heard a child’s voice shout, “don’t worry mister, I’m over here,” Ennis and Jack turned toward the sweet voice and spied a chestnut skinned child sitting on the curb, out of harms way.  He was smiling and waved Ennis over.  “Are you okay, son,” Ennis stammered as he placed a hand on the boy’s small head.  “Yeah, I’m okay.  I’m quick, huhn?”  Jack walked over and observed the child.  He was certainly a good looking kid.  “I don’t know how you moved so fast out of the way, kid, but I’m glad you did.  What’s your name?”  The child’s face closed a bit just then.  Ennis understood and remembered how his ma always told him to be wary of strangers.  “You can tell us your name, son.  We won’t hurt you!”  It was Jack.  He sat down on the curb next to the child and looked him in the eyes.  The boy must have fallen victim to Jack’s startling baby blues, as he began to talk.  “My name is Stanley and I’m here visiting my grandma and grandpa.  I was just going to the store when I thought I could beat the light across.  I’m sorry if I scared you.  You didn’t hurt me.”  Jack placed a soothing hand on Stanley’s shoulder.  “I’m glad we didn’t hurt you, too.  Now do you want me to take you home?”  “No, I still need to get to the store fast or my grandma will yell at me.”  Jack glanced at Ennis with a puzzled expression.  “We can take you to the store.  Why would your grandma yell at you if you're a bit late?”  Stanley lowered his head almost to his breastbone.  “Because she always yells at me and makes me go outside when company comes.  She tells my cousins to hide the colored boy out back.”  Jack flinched.  He was outraged.  Ennis remained silent.  “Well, look, let’s go to the store and get what you need, and I’ll take you home.”  Stanley hesitated a bit.  “Look, Jack whispered, “It will save you some time if I take you.  Maybe your grandma won’t yell at you if you make good time!”  Stanley was quiet as he considered Jack’s words.  He nodded and rose from the curb.  Jack helped him into the cab of the truck and Ennis climbed in.  The trip to the store was uneventful.  There was a curious lack of interest as Ennis and Jack shopped around with a Negro boy in tow.  They bought a few staples and were on their way to Stanley’s grandparent’s home.  Stanley’s grandmother was standing on the porch when Jack pulled up to the house.  She was an elderly woman of about 80 with silver white hair in a bun, and she was rail thin.  Mrs. Boykin practically scowled as Jack climbed out of the truck carrying a paper sack.  She smirked a bit when Stanley followed, and Ennis brought up the rear.  “About time you got back here, boy,” Mrs. Boykin spat.  “What took you so damn long, and who are these men?”  Stanley was too scared to speak.  Ennis spoke up, “Ennis Del Mar and Jack Twist, ma’am.”  Mrs. Boykin looked first to Ennis, then to Jack and said nothing.  She grabbed Stanley by the hand and pulled him into the house.  “Wait ma’am,” Jack yelled after her. “You forgot your groceries!”  The old woman’s shoulders tensed, but she turned and accepted the bag from Jack.  She then entered her house and slammed the door behind her.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 12:38:24 am by Littlewing »

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition
« Reply #3443 on: June 29, 2008, 11:50:40 am »
Yay Littlewing!
Great start of a new chapter to "Right". I just love to read your writing; it's so descriptive, warm and visual. Bravo!
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition
« Reply #3444 on: June 29, 2008, 07:41:38 pm »
Yay Littlewing!
Great start of a new chapter to "Right". I just love to read your writing; it's so descriptive, warm and visual. Bravo!

Well, hello!  Welcome back, pumpkin!  I've missed you so much!  :-*  I'll send you a PM in a bit so we can catch up.  Glad you like the newest chapter of Right.  I'll have the followup posted soon.  :)

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Right 89 & 90
« Reply #3445 on: July 01, 2008, 06:23:54 pm »

Afternoon, Littlewing.

Well, like the two latest installments.  OMT berating himself, as well he should, even if he is a bit "poor me" about it.  And Jack and Ennis have landed on their feet it seems in the new place, at least for awhile.  Interesting point, how J&E show tolerance for little Stanley despite being mixed-race, while they fear intolerance from others because they are gay.  Good storyline.  Looking forward to more.

Thanks again. 

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Boxed In
« Reply #3446 on: July 01, 2008, 06:28:41 pm »

After nursing a single beer for three hours, Jack left the bar, drove to the nearest motel, and got a room for the night.  He threw his bag on the floor and flopped into the almost comfortable chair next to the floor lamp.  His thoughts crashed around his brain like waves hitting rocks when the tide came in. 

Finally, he walked over and sat at the desk.  Pulling out a piece of motel stationary and an envelope, he started to write, hoping his frustration, anger, sorrow and determination could be read in the words he wrote.

4/6/74
Ennis –
Finally figured it out today.  You’ve got no time left for me, never had, never will.  No time for yer ‘summer friend’, no time for the love I’ve sent you all these years, just no time.  The seasons change, people change, but you don’t, can’t, won’t.  Still locked up in the past. 
Well, friend, I’ve got no more time left for this revolving door you got me spinning in. I can’t stand it, so I’m gonna fix it.  Gonna find better things, gonna spread my wings, travel some other roads, find out what else is out there in the distance, better things, away from you. Don’t spend time wondering why, just look in the mirror. 
Forget Brokeback, forget postcards, forget May, forget me, just forget everything.  I quit. 
Jack Twist

April 24, 1967

“Yeah, Maryanne, what is it?” he growled into the receiver. 

“Got a delivery for you out here, Mr. Twist.”

“I’ll get it later, too busy right now.”

“Fella that brought it says he has to give it to you personally.”

Fuckin’ process servers. “Okay, send him in.”

He didn’t look up as the door opened and closed, didn’t register it when the lock clicked, had to finish organizing these client files before he left today.  “Just leave it on the desk.”

A hand set down a well-worn rectangular white gift box with the name ‘Dayton’s’ on the cover, and pushed it across the papers towards him.  He froze.  He knew that hand as well as his own, knew each callous and scar, knew the opposite hand, knew the body they were attached to.  He had kissed every square inch of that hand, had felt it run through his hair, caress his back, his chest, his… He swallowed hard, still not looking up.

Knew that kind of box, too, from his childhood, hadn’t seen one in over ten years.  His trembling hands reached for the box, pulled it over close, one hand held it secure on the desk, the other lifted up the lid.  He sucked in his breath, and stared through blurry eyes at the contents. 

Inside lay a shiny rectangular object, slightly dented, the raised letters of the maker hardly legible, worn down nearly even with the surface.  He ran his fingers across the surface, caressing it, swore he could feel it hum, could hear the music, could see the fire, could smell the smoke and the pines and laying shoulder to shoulder next to him their backs against the big log. 

“Took it from your pack that last day, after we tussled.  Had to have somethin’ to remind me that you were real, that those days were real, that the thing we’d had was real, even if you weren’t there.  Those years between, when I couldn’t stand it, I’d get it down from its hiding place, run my fingers across it, close my eyes, find you there. After you found me, still did it, more often than before.”

A drop of wet marred the month-end sales report.

“Didn’t treat you like I should’ve all these years, never meant to make you feel second best, ‘cause you’re not.  You’re always on my mind, Jack. 

“Never took the time to say things I should’ve, like how happy I am when I ‘m with you, that you and me... that I got…  Never been much for words, don’t know where all this is comin’ from…”  The tone of voice changed. “Yes, I do.”

Jack lifted the shiny object from its home, and held it gently in his hands, afraid it would break if he grasped it too hard.  Two drops of wet landed on the slick surface, trickled down onto the palm of his left hand.   

“You were right what you said in that letter, been locked up tight by the past, lettin’ it tell me what to do.  Sometimes easier that way, not havin’ to think, but know now I was wrong.  Didn’t hold onta you when I should’ve back then, ain’t gonna make the same mistake now.  Hope your love hasn’t died, mine hasn’t.  Give me another chance. Please.  Know I don’t deserve it, but if you would, if you do, I won’t let you go again, Jack, I swear.”  Even though he was not the swearing kind, and Jack had never asked him to swear to anything.

The hand put down a wrinkled rectangular piece of paper on top of the other papers on the desk, and pushed it towards him.  Trailways Bus Line.  Riverton to Childress via Denver.  $84.26.  One way.  No return. 

Jack’s heart pounded so hard he thought it could be heard down the hall, in fact he hoped it would be, ‘specially in the office of a certain someone.  Pounded from hearing him say the words he’d wanted to say himself for so many years, but never had the courage.

He finally looked up into care-worn loving dark brown eyes, hardly noticing the hat held by the brim in the fingers of both hands, or the body nervously shuffling from one leg to the other. 

“That’s the most you’ve said to me in ages.”

“That’s more’n I’ve said to you ever.”  Ennis looked down at his hat.  “Should’ve said it before, and then some.”

“Time wasn’t right, ‘til now.”  Jack paused and smiled.  “Looks like you’ll need a lift wherever you’re goin’.” He looked Ennis in the eyes.  “Where are you going?”

Ennis looked right back into Jack’s. “With you. Where’re you going?”

“Home, my former home that is, to finish packing.  Wasn’t sure after that, just away from here. Tonight.”

“Mind if I hitch a ride?”

“No, don’t mind, want that, and want you, always have, but I can’t do all the driving any more, you gotta do your share.”

“Can do that, gonna need some help, though, ain't had much experience drivin' long distances.”

Jack wiped his face with both sleeves of his shirt, stood up, took a last look at the papers on this desk, shrugged his shoulders, and walked over to get his hat from the horseshoe hook on the wall.  On his way back towards the door, he picked up the ‘Dayton’s’ box, replaced his harmonica in it along with Ennis’ one-way ticket. Closing the lid, he offered the box to Ennis.  “Here, keep these safe for us.”  A statement, a question, both. 

Ennis took the offering, letting his fingers linger around Jack’s as he did.  Holding on tight to their box, he reached his free hand around Jack’s neck and pulled him close for a kiss. 

“You bet.”

No Time, The Guess Who

You Were Always on my Mind, Willie Nelson

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Right 89 & 90
« Reply #3447 on: July 02, 2008, 01:41:20 am »
Afternoon, Littlewing.

Well, like the two latest installments.  OMT berating himself, as well he should, even if he is a bit "poor me" about it.  And Jack and Ennis have landed on their feet it seems in the new place, at least for awhile.  Interesting point, how J&E show tolerance for little Stanley despite being mixed-race, while they fear intolerance from others because they are gay.  Good storyline.  Looking forward to more.

Thanks again. 

Thank you, Cwby30!  It is comments like this that keep me writing.  I'm glad you enjoyed the last 2 entries and I'm working on an installment.  Toy will join me when he's ready.  I'm sure he'll surprise everyone and post a chapter very soon!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #3448 on: July 02, 2008, 01:52:33 am »
After nursing a single beer for three hours, Jack left the bar, drove to the nearest motel, and got a room for the night.  He threw his bag on the floor and flopped into the almost comfortable chair next to the floor lamp.  His thoughts crashed around his brain like waves hitting rocks when the tide came in. 

Finally, he walked over and sat at the desk.  Pulling out a piece of motel stationary and an envelope, he started to write, hoping his frustration, anger, sorrow and determination could be read in the words he wrote.

4/6/74
Ennis –
Finally figured it out today.  You’ve got no time left for me, never had, never will.  No time for yer ‘summer friend’, no time for the love I’ve sent you all these years, just no time.  The seasons change, people change, but you don’t, can’t, won’t.  Still locked up in the past. 
Well, friend, I’ve got no more time left for this revolving door you got me spinning in. I can’t stand it, so I’m gonna fix it.  Gonna find better things, gonna spread my wings, travel some other roads, find out what else is out there in the distance, better things, away from you. Don’t spend time wondering why, just look in the mirror. 
Forget Brokeback, forget postcards, forget May, forget me, just forget everything.  I quit. 
Jack Twist

April 24, 1967

“Yeah, Maryanne, what is it?” he growled into the receiver. 

“Got a delivery for you out here, Mr. Twist.”

“I’ll get it later, too busy right now.”

“Fella that brought it says he has to give it to you personally.”

Fuckin’ process servers. “Okay, send him in.”

He didn’t look up as the door opened and closed, didn’t register it when the lock clicked, had to finish organizing these client files before he left today.  “Just leave it on the desk.”

A hand set down a well-worn rectangular white gift box with the name ‘Dayton’s’ on the cover, and pushed it across the papers towards him.  He froze.  He knew that hand as well as his own, knew each callous and scar, knew the opposite hand, knew the body they were attached to.  He had kissed every square inch of that hand, had felt it run through his hair, caress his back, his chest, his… He swallowed hard, still not looking up.

Knew that kind of box, too, from his childhood, hadn’t seen one in over ten years.  His trembling hands reached for the box, pulled it over close, one hand held it secure on the desk, the other lifted up the lid.  He sucked in his breath, and stared through blurry eyes at the contents. 

Inside lay a shiny rectangular object, slightly dented, the raised letters of the maker hardly legible, worn down nearly even with the surface.  He ran his fingers across the surface, caressing it, swore he could feel it hum, could hear the music, could see the fire, could smell the smoke and the pines and laying shoulder to shoulder next to him their backs against the big log. 

“Took it from your pack that last day, after we tussled.  Had to have somethin’ to remind me that you were real, that those days were real, that the thing we’d had was real, even if you weren’t there.  Those years between, when I couldn’t stand it, I’d get it down from its hiding place, run my fingers across it, close my eyes, find you there. After you found me, still did it, more often than before.”

A drop of wet marred the month-end sales report.

“Didn’t treat you like I should’ve all these years, never meant to make you feel second best, ‘cause you’re not.  You’re always on my mind, Jack. 

“Never took the time to say things I should’ve, like how happy I am when I ‘m with you, that you and me... that I got…  Never been much for words, don’t know where all this is comin’ from…”  The tone of voice changed. “Yes, I do.”

Jack lifted the shiny object from its home, and held it gently in his hands, afraid it would break if he grasped it too hard.  Two drops of wet landed on the slick surface, trickled down onto the palm of his left hand.   

“You were right what you said in that letter, been locked up tight by the past, lettin’ it tell me what to do.  Sometimes easier that way, not havin’ to think, but know now I was wrong.  Didn’t hold onta you when I should’ve back then, ain’t gonna make the same mistake now.  Hope your love hasn’t died, mine hasn’t.  Give me another chance. Please.  Know I don’t deserve it, but if you would, if you do, I won’t let you go again, Jack, I swear.”  Even though he was not the swearing kind, and Jack had never asked him to swear to anything.

The hand put down a wrinkled rectangular piece of paper on top of the other papers on the desk, and pushed it towards him.  Trailways Bus Line.  Riverton to Childress via Denver.  $84.26.  One way.  No return. 

Jack’s heart pounded so hard he thought it could be heard down the hall, in fact he hoped it would be, ‘specially in the office of a certain someone.  Pounded from hearing him say the words he’d wanted to say himself for so many years, but never had the courage.

He finally looked up into care-worn loving dark brown eyes, hardly noticing the hat held by the brim in the fingers of both hands, or the body nervously shuffling from one leg to the other. 

“That’s the most you’ve said to me in ages.”

“That’s more’n I’ve said to you ever.”  Ennis looked down at his hat.  “Should’ve said it before, and then some.”

“Time wasn’t right, ‘til now.”  Jack paused and smiled.  “Looks like you’ll need a lift wherever you’re goin’.” He looked Ennis in the eyes.  “Where are you going?”

Ennis looked right back into Jack’s. “With you. Where’re you going?”

“Home, my former home that is, to finish packing.  Wasn’t sure after that, just away from here. Tonight.”

“Mind if I hitch a ride?”

“No, don’t mind, want that, and want you, always have, but I can’t do all the driving any more, you gotta do your share.”

“Can do that, gonna need some help, though, ain't had much experience drivin' long distances.”

Jack wiped his face with both sleeves of his shirt, stood up, took a last look at the papers on this desk, shrugged his shoulders, and walked over to get his hat from the horseshoe hook on the wall.  On his way back towards the door, he picked up the ‘Dayton’s’ box, replaced his harmonica in it along with Ennis’ one-way ticket. Closing the lid, he offered the box to Ennis.  “Here, keep these safe for us.”  A statement, a question, both. 

Ennis took the offering, letting his fingers linger around Jack’s as he did.  Holding on tight to their box, he reached his free hand around Jack’s neck and pulled him close for a kiss. 

“You bet.”

No Time, The Guess Who

You Were Always on my Mind, Willie Nelson

Cwby30, I was going to take the text out of the quotes, but I wanted to see the words again.  Brilliant one-shot, Babe, or is it?  I would love to read more.  I was captivated, hung on every word.  I can just imagine Ennis doing the right thing after reading that Jack was finished with him, the relationship, everything.  Poor Ennis more than likely had to fight to keep his sanity, and keep his lunch when he read that Jack was quitting him.  I hope I'm making sense, cwby30.  What I really want to say is that you have posted a very thoughtful, moving, elegantly written piece, and I enjoyed reading every word.  You have made my night!  :)

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3449 on: July 02, 2008, 06:51:05 pm »
Cwby30, I was going to take the text out of the quotes, but I wanted to see the words again.  Brilliant one-shot, Babe, or is it?  I would love to read more.  I was captivated, hung on every word.  I can just imagine Ennis doing the right thing after reading that Jack was finished with him, the relationship, everything.  Poor Ennis more than likely had to fight to keep his sanity, and keep his lunch when he read that Jack was quitting him.  I hope I'm making sense, cwby30.  What I really want to say is that you have posted a very thoughtful, moving, elegantly written piece, and I enjoyed reading every word.  You have made my night!  :)

Afternoon.

Well, for now it'll stay a 'one-shot'.  Still have to finish "Circle JE Ranch" and "The Christmas Present", and have sketched out two more homecoming installments [in different places] of "Homecoming", and have to write "Scared 3".  Phew!! 

Appreciate all the kind words about the story; glad you didn't mind that I broke the 'three paragraph' rule yet again.  I appreciate having this place to post these stories, too.  This one just came to me as I was driving into the office listening to the radio, and had to put it down immediately!  Also posted on my LJ for 'friends', but not to the 'public' in general on LJ.

Thanks again.