Author Topic: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition  (Read 2157823 times)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Poor Uncle Harold, Poor Jack! (4)
« Reply #3630 on: September 28, 2009, 10:55:59 pm »
"It was just last year," Jack began, smiling, "and I was helping pa pull the weeds around the barn.  We were working in the hot sun when we saw a black truck heading toward us from the road.  Following the truck was a small light brown Ford."  Jack's voice practically vibrated with excitement.  "Pa and I dropped what we were doing and walked over to the fence that faced the road.  I didn't recognize the truck at first, but when Uncle Harold parked it out by the house, Pa and I looked at each other and raced over to where Harold was climbing out of the passenger side."  Ennis rubbed Jack's arm, encouraging him to continue.  "What happened then," Ennis asked, excited.  "Well, ma was coming out of the house and I saw Uncle Harold having a word with her.  When pa and I approached the truck, Harold turned to me and handed me the keys!"  Jack beamed and Ennis had to smile.  Ennis wanted to hear the whole story.  "So what happened after that, Rodeo?" Ennis asked.

"Ma was smiling from ear to ear," Jack resumed.  "She seemed to be in on the surprise, but Pa was quiet; I don't think he knew about the truck nor was he pleased that Uncle Harold was giving me a gift."  But why wouldn't be be pleased?"   Ennis was genuinely appalled that Jack's father would begrudge his own son such an important gift.  "Don't worry about that, Friend," Jack said, exasperated.  "I'll never understand my old man, but let me get back to the story."  Ennis nodded and allowed Jack to continue:

"Uncle Harold made a small speech about how I'm his favorite nephew, and that he was only glad to give me his truck - a truck that I spent 2 years helping restore." Jack glowed.  "I almost fainted, Ennis," Jack said.  Ennis smiled.  "What did you do, Jack?"  "I couldn't do anything but stare at the car keys in my hands," Jack laughed.  "I stood there, speechless until the adults left to go inside the house for a drink."  "And what about the Ford?" Ennis asked.  Jack looked at his lover as though seeing him for the first time.  "The Ford?  Oh, that was something!"  Ennis raised an eyebrow and urged Jack to continue.  "When my folks entered the house, I noticed the prettiest lady I ever did see sitting behind the wheel.  She was sitting looking at me and smiling.  I walked toward the car to introduce myself."

TBC

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Letter to Jack
« Reply #3631 on: October 02, 2009, 01:20:46 am »
Ennis wanted to write a letter to his beloved.  It was too late to tell him in person how he felt; Jack was dead and buried, but he spoke to Jack aloud all the time, and he was certain that Jack heard him, wherever he was.  Ennis was suffering.  He heard somewhere that the best way to get rid of demons is to write about them.  Ennis sat down on his threadbare couch and placed a piece of paper on this thigh.  He grabbed a pen and the following is the text of Ennis' letter to Jack Twist:

"Please forgive me, my friend.  I never realized just how much you meant to me until it was too late.  But try to understand me, Jack.  I couldn't even let myself think about having a sweet life with you.  And any life with you at all would have been sweet.  I know you would have taken care of me.  You would have cheered me up when I was sad, nursed me when I got sick.  Jack, you would have loved me every night and sometimes through the day.  Listen..I don't deserve such happiness, Jack.  I didn't deserve you then and I don't deserve you now.  And you did make me happy.  I'm so sorry and ashamed that I couldn't tell you just how happy you made me!   I was told I couldn't be anything, Jack.  I never had anyone to believe in me, really...but you.  How can I even think about having a successful business, a good home with a sweet man like you?  I didn't believe in myself.  What did I have to give you?  Forgive me, Jack.  And when the time comes, please be here by my side to take me over.  I know you'll prepare a place for me.  We'll be together my friend.  We'll be together soon.  I love you."

Ennis wiped the tears from the paper and folded it.  He walked over to his wardrobe and opened the door.  He reached inside his own bloody shirt and found Jack's shirt pocket.  He placed the letter in Jack's shirt pocket and closed the door.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Poor Uncle Harold, Poor Jack! (5)
« Reply #3632 on: October 09, 2009, 03:46:38 pm »
Jack’s cautious approach to the Ford seemed to amuse the pretty lady sitting inside.  Jack moved closer to the car and when he was a few feet away, the woman rolled down the window and stuck her head outside.  “Come on over, young fella, I won’t bite!”  Jack blushed when he heard what the lady had to say, but he did as he was told.

Jack took the proffered hand and studied the woman’s face.  She was 40 if she was a day, and had full lips painted a bright pink.  Her eyes were cat like: green in color and lined in black.  Jack’s eyes moved from the woman’s face to her yellow hair.  He admired the elegant French twist and pearl stud earrings.  “Jack Twist,” Jack muttered, shaking the elegant hand.  He noticed the short red nails and the small diamond sparkler on her left ring finger.  “Mary Francis Hawthorne,” the lady answered, “Pleased to meet, you, Jack Twist.”

Jack didn’t know what else to say to Mary, and he stood there awkwardly, holding her hand.  “I’ll take my hand back now,” Mary laughed.  Jack giggled and released the hand, chagrined.  He thought then that he was forgetting his manners just like every one else.  He couldn’t understand why Uncle Harold was so rude as to leave Mary in the car without so much as an introduction to the family.  Jack pulled on her car door and invited her into the house for a cold drink.  “Why thank you, young man,” Mary replied, gratefully.  “That Uncle of yours can be rather forgetful, but we were only supposed to be here for a short while..drop off your truck and then we were headed out to dinner.”  Jack shook his head, not knowing what to say. 

TBC

Offline Luvlylittlewing

No More Room for Me?
« Reply #3633 on: October 14, 2009, 11:57:38 pm »
K.E. sat Ennis down and told him the story.  He seemed more alive than Ennis ever remembered when he spoke about Tammy: Tammy Blair, soon to be Tammy Del Mar.  Ennis did his best to keep his cool, but he didn’t know what would become of him once K.E. took a wife.  The fact that they were both employed at the same ranch wouldn’t make much difference.  K. E. rented the small place they shared, and once Tammy became his wife and moved in, there would be no more room for him.

Ennis knew Tammy.  She worked as a clerk at the small store in town.  Ennis didn’t think much about K.E’s flirtation with the girl; his older brother was sort of a ladies man, or tried to be.  When K.E. asked Tammy out to eat right in front of him, Ennis wasn’t worried.  Why, just last week K.E. took a pretty little thing named Wilma out to the drive-in movie.  What could be so special about Tammy?

K.E. was quite animated as he went on and on about Tammy and her potential to become manager at the store.  She was such a beautiful woman, K.E. gushed, and she can cook and she is very nice and even tempered.  At every word, Ennis became more and more frightened.  It didn’t look good for him.  K.E. got down to the heart of the matter when he told Ennis that the wedding would take place in a few months and Tammy would move in right away, of course.  Ennis didn’t know what to say.  He knew what needed to be done, however.  The last time he was in the store with K.E., Ennis read the bulletin board that advertised everything from jobs wanted and jobs needed to sales of toasters.  A man named Aguirre was looking for men to herd sheep up on a big mountain during the summer.  Ennis jotted down the number and looked to the future.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Good Times
« Reply #3634 on: November 16, 2009, 04:22:51 pm »
Ennis sat on a small hill and looked out among the legions of sheep that were under his care.  Bluebelle was at his side and he scratched absently behind the dog’s right ear.  Ennis made the long ride up after enjoying a hearty supper prepared by Jack.  It was Friday and Jack somehow negotiated with The Basque for extra beans, a slab of bacon and a bottle of whiskey.  Ennis never thought that a supper of beans with bacon bits mixed in would seem like a luxury meal from the finest restaurant.  But Jack had a knack of making even the most meager supper seem special.

Ennis never imagined that life could be so good.  The sun was nearing its decent and the sight was beyond belief.  Life was good! He was making a decent salary guarding a flock of dumb animals; a physical job for sure, but he didn’t mind that.  The solitude was a plus, and he never imagined finding someone who would make his work not only bearable, but very pleasurable, indeed.

Nightfall was only a few hours away and Ennis made ready to get the sheep settled down for the night.  He whistled for Bluebelle and pointed her to the herd.  She would have them rounded up in no time, and once the herd was settled and quiet, he could relax a bit.  He would keep his 30-30 handy, keep an eye out for predators and calm his soul with memories of his time with Jack. 

Offline Luvlylittlewing

November, December
« Reply #3635 on: November 24, 2009, 12:10:40 am »
Jack hated November.  He couldn’t care less about the bitter cold; he had grown used to the frigid weather.  But the older he got, the more he noticed that bad things seemed to happen in his life during the month of November. 

Poor Uncle Harold took ill in November, but he recovered in no time.  Still, Harold’s illness stressed Jack no end, as he loved his uncle very much.  And up on Brokeback, Ennis mentioned, almost in passing, that he and Alma would be getting married in November.  Yeah, November was shaping up to be a bad luck month.

Jack couldn’t foresee the November several years down the road: Uncle Harold would die of lung cancer, Ennis would be married to Alma, and his own life would be one of loneliness and near despair.  He would be forced to endure a stupid battle of wills with his father-in-law on Thanksgiving.  Yes, Jack hated November, but December was just as bad.

Offline gwyllion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Backpacker
    • My fanfiction on AO3
Re: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition
« Reply #3636 on: November 24, 2009, 10:28:44 pm »
Awww...   :'(

November is a bad month for us Brokies. :'(

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.   :D
A companion where none had been expected...

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Re: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition
« Reply #3637 on: November 26, 2009, 01:02:13 am »
Awww...   :'(

November is a bad month for us Brokies. :'(

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.   :D

Hello, Sweetness, thanks for stopping by.  It is always good to see you here.  November is almost over, but I have to admit I do love Thanksgiving.  Have a fabulous Thanksgiving, Love and don't be a stranger!  :-*

Offline Luvlylittlewing

Dream Fulfilled
« Reply #3638 on: December 06, 2009, 12:21:10 am »
Jack watched as Lureen lowered a basket of freshly battered shrimp into the deep-fat fryer.  The gadget was a gift from his mother-in-law who mentioned how the Newsome’s loved fried foods.  Christmas Eve and Lureen was preparing a late supper of jumbo fried prawns, French fries, garlic bread and tossed salad.  The simple meal had become one of Jack’s favorites.  He was almost instantly transported to a mountain where out in the cold, Ennis Del Mar told him all about his favorite food:

Ennis was chomping down on an elk’s rib when Jack felt talkative.  “I know you don’t care much about elk meat, friend, but what kind of food do you really like?  What is your favorite?”  Ennis thought it over.  “Well Rodeo,” he began, “I have to admit to a taste for fried shrimp.  I remember one time my grandparents took us all out to dinner at a place in town.  I didn’t even know what shrimp was at the time, but my ma pointed it out to me on the menu.  She thought I would like it, since I like fish.  My pa thought the price was too much to pay for a young boy’s dinner, but my grandpa told me to order the fried shrimp.”  Ennis’ voice trailed off and Jack noticed a faraway look in his eyes.  “I loved the shrimp,” Ennis mentioned.  “But I’ve never had my fill of them..too expensive.”  Jack lowered his head, a bit sad, then.  “You never got enough of them?” Jack asked, softly.  “No, I never did, Rodeo.”

When Lureen spread the meal out on the dining room table, Jack watched as little Bobby speared a giant prawn with his fork.  When Bobby munched on the fried prawn with gusto, he was again transported, but this time to a cabin upon another cold mountain.  Jack was building a fire out back and preparing to add lard to a large pot he brought up for the occasion.  Ennis was sleeping off their sweet lovemaking, when Jack thought he would prepare the surprise.  He managed to stock several pounds of jumbo prawns up to the cabin in a cooler of dry ice.  The prawns held up well.  Jack watched Lureen prepare the batter many times, and he mixed it before he drove up, placing it in the cooler with the prawns and the dry ice.  Jack was determined that Ennis would eat his fill of fried prawns.  It would be a dream fulfilled: a dream as sweet as Christmas.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

The Dishes Can Wait
« Reply #3639 on: December 17, 2009, 10:34:31 pm »
Jack was tired, but he was also in the mood for some good conversation and a romp around the old cat -piss- smelling tent.  He wasn’t sure if Ennis was up for anything but sleeping and eating, though.  After all, Ennis worked as hard, if not harder than he did.  The fire was ready for a caldron filled to the brim with beans.  Beans seasoned with a bit of salt pork was all Jack could manage.  He hoped Ennis wouldn’t mind another meatless meal.

Jack didn’t have to worry.  Ennis entered camp in a whirl and descended upon the tall pot of beans without a word.  Jack sat on the hard ground and watched as Ennis ate heartily, noisily.  Jack never knew anyone who liked beans as much as Ennis Del Mar.  But did he really like beans so much, or did he pretend to enjoy them just to satisfy his lover?  Jack could take the beans or leave them.  Still, they were filling and good nourishment.  Jack finished off a bowl before Ennis rode up.  He was full and he was ready for love.

Ennis dropped his bowl down to the ground and smiled up at Jack.  “Thank you, Rodeo.”  It was the first words Ennis uttered since he bounded into camp.  “Don’t mention it,” Jack said as he moved closer.  Jack felt a sense of entitlement.  He was full but unsatisfied.  Ennis watched, amused, as Jack lifted his stripped shirt a bit and stuck his head under.  Ennis heaved a hearty sigh as he felt the tip of Jack’s warm tongue caressing his left nipple.  Ennis should be headed for the stream to wash the supper dishes, but that Jack Twist made love, and Ennis couldn’t resist.  Jack withdrew his head from Ennis’ chest and rubbed the back of his neck.  Ennis allowed himself to be led into the tent.  The dishes could wait until later…much later.