Author Topic: "Knocked Up" Deleted Scene about BBM!  (Read 10590 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: "Knocked Up" Deleted Scene about BBM!
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 02:12:23 pm »
I been here and there, Janey.  :)

And I get you about that line - I guess I just took it as reflecting what was on that character's mind rather than what was or wasn't on Jake's.  Hopefully he'll take it the same way and won't be insulted.

No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 02:32:06 pm »
I don't know about Jake finding it insulting. He seems to have a pretty good sense of humor, and he knows that being the occasional butt of mild jokes is part of the deal of being a rich and famous celebrity. But more importantly, isn't he playing a character whose mouth is SUPPOSED to be watering? Figuratively speaking, I mean -- that's an over-the-top way of putting it, in line with the character's entire monologue. But the guy in the video is not talking about Jake Gyllenhaal the actor, he's talking about the character he's playing, and commenting on the content of a movie in which Jack WAS lusting for Ennis. I don't see how that's particularly offensive.

The LA joke, on the other hand, WAS offensive. Partly because he was talking about Jake, not his character, partly because it turns the humor back around to its usual place: a (presumably) straight guy laughing at a (presumably) straight guy for seeming gay.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 02:52:38 pm »
Excellent point there, Katherine.  The character in KU would not refer to Jack and Ennis as "Jack and Ennis" but as "Gyllenhaal and Ledger," as he does.

And I absolutely agree that the LA "joke" was offensive on a few different levels.  Again, I lost all (or most) respect in him for that one, and I have a hard time believing that Jake actually "loved" it (but if he did at the time, I think he's smart enough to have realized after the fact, perhaps, that it was not such a terrific idea after all).  He appeared genuinely surprised at it at the time.  He's a great actor of course, but I don't believe he was pretending to be stunned by that one.  If anything, he might have told Lance he "loved" the bit with the T.O. book when he came out to present, which, though also offensive for the same reasons, wasn't nearly as bad.

Or maybe it's just all wishful thinking on my part.
No more beans!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2007, 07:39:16 am »
I had heard Anne Hathaway had been considered for the lead in this movie, but she turned it down because of the graphic birthing scene. Can you imagine that deleated scene with that guy telling her he didn't want to see her (Anne Hathaway's) tits?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2007, 03:59:16 pm »
I haven't seen the movie y'all are mostly talking about - but I'm with Meryl on "The 40 Year Old Virgin."  I'm glad I made it through the boorishness at the beginning, and really like it by the end.  Same is true for Anchorman and Dodgeball.  These guys are actually mocking the macho stereotype.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 11:34:38 pm »
I'm in a vast minority, I guess, in that I didn't like this movie much at all.  (I like the deleted scene, though.  Go figure.)  I found it very misogynistic - the women were portrayed as hysterical, hormonal bitches, and the men, while certainly flawed, were portrayed as being the voices of reason.  I wouldn't want to live (or even be friends) with either of the two leading women.  I found them annoying as hell.  Take, for example, the way the one overreacted to finding out what her adorable husband (Paul Rudd - yummy) was hiding from her.  Most of us would be relieved to learn it wasn't what we most feared and in fact was something pretty innocuous.  But she flies into a rage.  I don't know - I guess I just don't like Judd Apatow's "humor" overall.  I didn't think The 40-Year-Old Virgin was funny, either.  At all.  It was on one of the premium channels one night, and I couldn't get past the first 15 minutes of it.  I only went to see this one because my local paper gave it 4 stars (out of 4).  I'd give it 2 1/2 at best.  But then, I'm just a hysterical, hormonal bitch.  ;)

I'm totally with you, barb - er, not about the hysterical hormonal bitch part  ;) - I was vastly insulted by the premise.  In this day and age?  What were they thinking?

Then the rest of the movie was just offensive all the way around.  I was embarrassed by and for everyone in this movie.  I didn't find it funny - just annoying.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 11:40:12 pm »
Well, thank you, ineedcrayons.  ;)
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 11:43:58 pm »
And NO st8 guy would ever admit that his bud stuck his dick in his mouth, even if true. That bit of script writing is an example of Hollywood wishful thinking. It does not reflect reality in mainstream America.

C'mon, lighten up on us, Coyote Piper. It's just a dumb ole' movie! Besides, you know you like it dirty!  ::)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 09:37:56 am by Toycoon »
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2007, 02:50:56 pm »
I'm totally with you, barb - er, not about the hysterical hormonal bitch part  ;) - I was vastly insulted by the premise.  In this day and age?  What were they thinking?

Then the rest of the movie was just offensive all the way around.  I was embarrassed by and for everyone in this movie.  I didn't find it funny - just annoying.

Totally agree.  In retrospect, I can't believe I went to see it at all.  You'd think my having seen Kill Bill, Vol. 1 get four stars, then having run out to see it only to be - big surprise - utterly mortified and disgusted - would have taught me.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

Next time, I'm listeing to my Inner Voice when it says "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!"

No more beans!