Author Topic: Who are you more like?  (Read 3538 times)

Offline thecutestcollie

• Don't Say Much
Who are you more like?
« on: June 08, 2007, 10:16:29 pm »
Jack or Ennis?

I would say I am more like Ennis. Jack is way more out there while Ennis more keeps to himself. Which pretty much describes me  :-X

So who are you more like?

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: Who are you more like?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 10:20:35 pm »
Hello, Ennis Jr Here! ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 08:05:10 am »
Jack is who I want to be, but Ennis is who I am.  There are traumas from my childhood this movie helped me see I've really never gotten past, as much as I always liked to tell myself I had.  Ennis speaks to me in a very profound way, as I'm sure we all can understand or at least sympathize with.  Nothing in any movie has ever made me weep like the sight of him backing away from that closet in the final scene.  It took me many viewings and a long time to come to understand why.

I am definitely a stander, not a fixer.  It has been the story of my life.  I'm working on changing it, but as they say, old habits die hard.
No more beans!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 11:24:30 am »

Im definately a stander, on so many levels,,,So I am for sure an Ennis..Some of it has been forced on me and some of it has been my own choosing.  Either way the choices in life we make, specially early on, make the direction we tend to go...It is near impossible to make some changes, once you embark on that path..

Beautiful mind

Offline malina

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 04:48:20 pm »
This has always been one of the most confusing questions.

I'm a Jack with an Ennis core, I think.

You know what I think is funny? How so many of us identify with Ennis, even when (I suspect) those who know us would disagree. I used to be deeply convinced I was going to end up like Ennis in the pie-eating scene... alone and sort of paralyzed, cut off even from himself. I confessed that to a friend of mine, who had seen the movie but is not a Brokie... and she said, 'What the f* are you talking about? You're not like Ennis at ALL!'

And, okay, I'm not... I talk, for one thing. And I'm optimistic, and I ... relate to my physical environment, I mean, I always thought Jack took pleasure in his shirts and trucks and stuff, and I'm like that too.... and I'm cheerful, mostly, and I'll laugh at anything... and I fix things rather than stand them... so....

so why did I spend so much of last year feeling exactly, but exactly, like Ennis?  :(

Is it because Ennis is 'everyman', and to some degree we are all Enni, and that's why we're here in the first place? hmmm....

Offline Delmardeb

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 07:41:12 pm »
I too am more like Ennis. It's funny how most of us who answered this question are more like Ennis. I notice when I try to fix things I always end up getting "fixed" so to speak. When it comes to romance, I am definitely like Ennis- not assertive and I always wait for my husband to make the first move on more than one issue. ;)

On the other hand, I see alot of Jack in me too. I like to be funny and laugh alot, unlike Ennis. So as confusing as this might seem, I guess I am like both of them. (Ying and Yang)

For how long? As long as we can ride it; ain't no reins on this one.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 09:20:10 pm »
I think what makes both characters so compelling is that we can all see elements of ourselves in both of them, so we can't help but empathize with them (or is it sympathize? I always get those two confused).

Malina, it's funny that you said that.  When I finally got my husband to watch the movie with me after having seen it several times alone and we got talking about it afterwards, I said something like "I guess I can't help but relate to Jack on a number of levels."  He literally laughed out loud, and just like Ennis, I said, "What?"  He goes "You're kidding me, right?  You are SUCH an Ennis."  I'll never forget the way he said that last bit.  It still took me a while after he said that and several more viewings to realize how right he was.

While I've become more like Jack over the years just through sheer determination, and then through finally no longer giving a flying fuck what anyone thinks of me, I am Ennis to the core.  Just a more relaxed and willing to laugh and have fun one.

No more beans!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 07:52:08 pm »
This has always been one of the most confusing questions.

I'm a Jack with an Ennis core, I think.

You know what I think is funny? How so many of us identify with Ennis, even when (I suspect) those who know us would disagree. I used to be deeply convinced I was going to end up like Ennis in the pie-eating scene... alone and sort of paralyzed, cut off even from himself. I confessed that to a friend of mine, who had seen the movie but is not a Brokie... and she said, 'What the f* are you talking about? You're not like Ennis at ALL!'

And, okay, I'm not... I talk, for one thing. And I'm optimistic, and I ... relate to my physical environment, I mean, I always thought Jack took pleasure in his shirts and trucks and stuff, and I'm like that too.... and I'm cheerful, mostly, and I'll laugh at anything... and I fix things rather than stand them... so....

so why did I spend so much of last year feeling exactly, but exactly, like Ennis?  :(

Is it because Ennis is 'everyman', and to some degree we are all Enni, and that's why we're here in the first place? hmmm....
I think why so many of us identify with Ennis even if our friends would disagree is that we all wear a mask.
I can pretend to be confident outgoing and optimistic even though on the inside thats not what I'm feeling at all.
I can suck it up and force myself to interact if I have to. Jack never had to force himself. To him it flowed naturally from with in. Where Ennis was concerned he had to make a concious effort to be social and engage other even his own daughters.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 08:57:56 pm »

You are absolutely right Lee.  We all do wear masks. One mask for work, another mask at home with family and friend.  And then deep down in side of us.. the true self abides.  afraid to come out without a mask.
Fearing to be criticized and rejected.  Made fun of or something of that nature. Very few people are completely comfortable in their real skin...Even less are comfortable all the time in it.  It is self preservation at its deepest
degree.

Beautiful mind

Offline ReneeM06

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 05:08:27 pm »
I think I'm a lot like Ennis but there's quite some Jack in me as well. I'm as reserved and antisocial as Ennis but I become more outgoing and open when I know people. I think I'm like Ennis with strangers but more like Jack with people I know. I am not aggressive at all and I'm definitely a fixer and I go after what I want, like Jack but I have a hard time saying what I feel like Ennis. Oh, and like Jack, I complain a lot ::)
There ain't no reins on this one.
Mi Ta Kens