Author Topic: Two things I noticed in the Dozy Embrace  (Read 3297 times)

mvansand76

Two things I noticed in the Dozy Embrace
« on: June 09, 2007, 04:40:53 pm »
Okay, so I watched the Dozy Embrace five times just now.

1. I am absolutely enthralled by the way Ennis looks at Jack and that little head tilt of his just before he holds him from behind. I keep rewinding it to see that look again, it's so full of care and love, there is no way to describe it. I wanna make a screenshot of it, but I don't know how to do it.

And God, this might have become my most favorite scene in the whole movie, because what I noticed this time is how relaxed Ennis's voice is, so soft and sweet and that combined with the look of utter peace on his face... It's heartwrenching.

2. On a more practical note: I noticed that when Ennis rides off after the embrace he doesn't have his pup tent with him.  ???

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Two things I noticed in the Dozy Embrace
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 05:16:36 pm »
I am so glad you posted this, Mel, because I so agree with you about the Dozy Embrace.  It is my favorite seen too, I have not noticed the head tilt, I will have to look for it again, but I just love Ennis in this scene.  You are so right, the softness of his voice and the expression on his face is just heartwrenching.  I still can't understand why as beautiful and loving as the scene is why it is so unbearably, heartbreakingly sad.

Another thing that i have noticed is how different Ennis is here then every other scene in the movie.  I have been meaning to write about this for a while.  In the DE, Ennis is confident and strong and sure of himself, not nervous and scared like he is all the rest of the time in the film.

He is not afraid to express his feelings for Jack, and he is totally unafraid to show that soft, loving side of him with the humming and the swaying.  I am not sure why he is like this, did he lose his inhibitions by the end of the summer on Brokeback and was able to physically express how he felt, or was that confident Ennis just how Jack remembered him at that moment and how he wanted to remember him?

Either way, everytime that I think I am am starting to get over it, just thinking about the DE causes all the feelings to come rushing back to me.

I have also noticed that there is no bedroll on the horse, and I have also wondered about that.  Did they just forget when they were filming the DE, or does it mean something?  I haven't really decided either.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 11:29:14 pm by Cameron »

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 05:44:34 pm »
No bedroll/tent with him? The assumption is that the herder's camp was already set up there before Ennis came down for dinner and some dozy embracing.
 :)

One of the more profound things about the DE (and Ennis' lack of inhibition you mentioned), is that the scenes where Jack takes the tent down, they fight and silently part ways may have been the very next day.

What really slays me is how the horses (as symbols of free-spiritedness) roam free in the DE scene. Cutting straight to Jack watching Ennis drive off — with the horses all penned up in the back of his truck.
:-\

Last 2 paragraphs were a real freaking ray of sunshine, hunh?

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 06:59:48 pm »
That also gets me too, Laura.  I am convinced that the Dozy Embrace happens just the evening before the storm and the last day up on the mountain.  I guess that is part of what makes the DE so sad, and what makes the it so hard to understand why they were so different to each other the next day.

I always thought that Jack was just so cold about taking down the tent and having to leave, and why was he so not able to understand how devastated Ennis was.

Also, why was Ennis back to his old self the next day, all the insecurities and nervousness came right back, and being unable to express himself at all, except his fustration and anger.

I wonder if the dozy embrace really could have happened as it appears at all, or if it was just a moment that was altered in memory to how Jack or maybe even Ennis wished to remember it.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 07:09:35 pm »
I wonder if the dozy embrace really could have happened as it appears at all, or if it was just a moment that was altered in memory to how Jack or maybe even Ennis wished to remember it.

Shasta has now recovered from emitting an anguished cry!!!

She is telling herself.......it's okay......Cam didn't mean it......you'll be fine......just relax.......

;)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 07:19:10 pm »
OMG, Shasta, I would never ever ever want to upset you at all.... :(

Okay, I take it back, the DE happened exactly as it appears.

But why was everything so different the next day?
Why did Jack just drive away and leave Ennis walking down the road?

I never can get over that.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 07:24:05 pm »
Okay, I take it back, the DE happened exactly as it appears.

Ahhhhhhh.......that's all I needed to hear.......now I can take the ice pack from off my forehead. I was practically verklempt, girl!!! :'(
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 07:27:24 pm »
Thank goodness, I am so glad you'll be okay!!!!! :D

I couldn't handle the guilt.

RodneyFL

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 10:02:08 pm »
No bedroll/tent with him? The assumption is that the herder's camp was already set up there before Ennis came down for dinner and some dozy embracing.   :)

One of the more profound things about the DE (and Ennis' lack of inhibition you mentioned), is that the scenes where Jack takes the tent down, they fight and silently part ways may have been the very next day.

That also gets me too, Laura.  I am convinced that the Dozy Embrace happens just the evening before the storm and the last day up on the mountain.  I guess that is part of what makes the DE so sad, and what makes the it so hard to understand why they were so different to each other the next day.

I always thought that Jack was just so cold about taking down the tent and having to leave, and why was he so not able to understand how devastated Ennis was.

Also, why was Ennis back to his old self the next day, all the insecurities and nervousness came right back, and being unable to express himself at all, except his fustration and anger.

Let me first address the question as to placement of the Dozy Embrace.  The unedited version of the screenplay (176 pages, 31 March 2004 Revisions 7 April 2004, available upon request as an annotated PDF) includes the Dozy Embrace first in real time and then again as Jack's memory after the confrontation scene at the lake.  The script places the scene immediately after the separation of their sheep from the Chilean sheep.  The next scene is Ennis awakening to the foot of snow.  Hope this helps.

Second, as the short story is basically Ennis recalling the entire 20-year saga, the Dozy Embrace could very well be Ennis' recollection of what Jack remembered.  I've read and recited these sublime 3 paragraphs multiple times daily for the past six months.  No matter how many times I've done it, I've never been able to reconciile the "they'd never got much farther than that" statement, making the whole scene so wonderfully bittersweet.  Don't forget that Jack and Ennis thought themselves alone, invisible, and were quite uninhibited with each other on the mountain once their sexual relationship began.  Even before the first night in the tent, Ennis was spending more and more time with Jack and away from the sheep.  The sex in the tent provided the spark that gave them both motivation to get as much as they possibly could from each other sexually, at all hours of the day and night, but not talking about it.  In that regard Ennis felt completely free (although the DE tells us that he couldn't embrace Jack face to face) to be "euphoric in the bitter air, suspended above ordinary affairs. . ."  This was one incredible and incomparable relationship, full of ambiguity, and open to so many interpretations, depending upon one's background and experience.

Third, regarding Jack's rather nonchalant telling Ennis about Aguirre's ordering them to bring the sheep down a month early, there could be a couple of explanations.  First of all, an earlier deleted scene, which takes place on top of the mountain in between the first night and second night in the tent, actually had Jack inviting Ennis to go with him to Lightning Flat and go hunting as soon as they were through on the mountain in September.  Ennis wasn't due to be married until later.  Jack, with that already having been "out there," may have thought that this was now his chance to get Ennis up to Lightning Flat a month earlier.  Or, he may have considered their time cut short to have been a real threat to his future with Ennis and may have so carefully thought out how to tell him so as not to make him bolt.  Well, we clearly saw Ennis' reaction in both the film and the short story -- a tussle resulting in the gushing blood getting everywhere, all over both of them, staining both shirts, and providing the means for Ennis' discovery at the near end of both film and story.  I personally think that Jack thought that here lay his chance to keep Ennis for himself for that extra month, in hopes that Ennis would stay with him, cancel his wedding plans, and be in the real world of his folks' ranch in Lightning Flat, which ended up being his dream anyway, according to John Twist Sr.