Author Topic: Northernplains, Grendlesledge, TrollHammer, and Ogmallet are now under attack...  (Read 10437 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Tonight I found these messages on TOB:
T r o l l
H a m m e r
and
O g r e
M a u l
and
O g
M a l l e t
and
B r u t e
S m a s h e r
and
G r e n d e l
S l e d g e
have all had all their posts deleted, some more than once, and recently have all had to authenticate for posting privileges (I don't recall whether OgrMau made the attempt).
With a grand total of 5-12 extant posts from each, those from TH saying only "I'm just trying to preserve this thread without getting myself pulverized again," those from OgMal saying only "whump," those from BrS saying only "I'm just trying to preserve this thread without getting myself obliterated again," all but GS have had their posts deleted again and their posting privileges revoked.

The newly created and authenticated
O l a f s
W e a p o n
and
G l o r y s
B a n e
with a total, ever, of about 6-8 posts from OW saying only "I'm just trying to preserve this thread without getting myself demolished again," and about 12-16 posts from GB saying only "I'm just trying to preserve this thread without getting myself clobbered again," have had their posts deleted and their posting privileges revoked.

My Amazon account and texting my cell number have both been discredited as having been used to authenticate an account that got deleted for violating the Terms. I'm not going to start consuming my credit card numbers on accounts that I have no idea what they supposedly did wrong and so I can't prevent doing it again. Six of these names, all except GS, will never be seen here again.

The era of nightly thread
b u m p i n g
is coming to a close, though GS will keep up the attempt for a few more days if she doesn't get deep-sixed.

Another post will follow later this afternoon, I hope, regarding what we
B r o k i e s
can do as a team to avoid losing our best threads without the whole burden being on GS for as long as she survives, and our beloved
O r a c l e,
and the also-under-fire
n o r t h e r n p l a i n s.

Sorry for all the extra spaces. I'm trying to avoid what I believe have become forbidden words, and avoid getting our two friends mentioned above into trouble.

GS
Re: H a m m e r s gone the way of a blue-eyed rodeo cowboy   
  by True_Oracle_of_Phoenix   16 minutes ago (Sat Jun 9 2007 16:27:45 )   

UPDATED Sat Jun 9 2007 16:42:52
You have both done your exceedingly well, TH and NP. Words can't begin to express my deep gratitude for all you have done for this forum.

Be proud of what you have accomplished. For the enormity of your contributions to this board, I and others will be always in your debt.

I invite you both to follow me to the other board.

I will need some help with my restoration project.

Most significant threads on this board have been backed up.

TOoP/Bruce

by tomtrueman   3 minutes ago (Sat Jun 9 2007 16:40:08 )   
Ignore this User | Report Abuse   
UPDATED Sat Jun 9 2007 16:43:23
Oh NOW they're worried about people who violate the Terms?? I have a whole list of Ignores who used to post crap the minute the admins had left for the day, which would sometimes be there all weekend. Why don't they at least READ the posts and kill the ones they should, leaving the worthwhile ones undamaged? Is it all done by a machine or something? They don't seem to know what they're doing.

We had troll attacks last year that went on for months, with nothing effective being done to stop them.

I guess the solution, instead of using a special bump name is just to post a message and then immediately delete it, so all it says is "Message deleted by the poster". That must work, because the last time I looked there were plenty of nearly empty threads that had entire pages of nothing but that, repeated over and over. Some well-meaning people (who've now been kicked off) managed to find out who they were from (I myself captured one before it could be delete) -- but the admins seemed to have no idea who, and they don't seem to care.]T r o l l
H a m m e r
and
O g r e
M a u l
and
O g
M a l l e t
and
B r u t e
S m a s h e r
and
G r e n d e l
S l e d g e
have all had all their posts deleted, some more than once, and recently have all had to authenticate for posting privileges (I don't recall whether OgrMau made the attempt).
With a grand total of 5-12 extant posts from each, those from TH saying only "I'm just trying to preserve this thread without getting myself pulverized again," those from OgMal saying only "whump," those from BrS saying only "I'm just trying to preserve this thread without getting myself obliterated again," all but GS have had their posts deleted again and their posting privileges revoked.

The newly created and authenticated
O l a f s
W e a p o n
and
G l o r y s
B a n e
with a total, ever, of about 6-8 posts from OW saying only "I'm just trying to preserve this thread without getting myself demolished again," and about 12-16 posts from GB saying only "I'm just trying to preserve this thread without getting myself clobbered again," have had their posts deleted and their posting privileges revoked.

My Amazon account and texting my cell number have both been discredited as having been used to authenticate an account that got deleted for violating the Terms. I'm not going to start consuming my credit card numbers on accounts that I have no idea what they supposedly did wrong and so I can't prevent doing it again. Six of these names, all except GS, will never be seen here again.

The era of nightly thread
b u m p i n g
is coming to a close, though GS will keep up the attempt for a few more days if she doesn't get deep-sixed.

Another post will follow later this afternoon, I hope, regarding what we
B r o k i e s
can do as a team to avoid losing our best threads without the whole burden being on GS for as long as she survives, and our beloved
O r a c l e,
and the also-under-fire
n o r t h e r n p l a i n s.

Sorry for all the extra spaces. I'm trying to avoid what I believe have become forbidden words, and avoid getting our two friends mentioned above into trouble.

GS
  by True_Oracle_of_Phoenix   16 minutes ago (Sat Jun 9 2007 16:27:45 )   

UPDATED Sat Jun 9 2007 16:42:52
You have both done your exceedingly well, TH and NP. Words can't begin to express my deep gratitude for all you have done for this forum.

Be proud of what you have accomplished. For the enormity of your contributions to this board, I and others will be always in your debt.

I invite you both to follow me to the other board.

I will need some help with my restoration project.

Most significant threads on this board have been backed up.

TOoP/Bruce

by tomtrueman   3 minutes ago (Sat Jun 9 2007 16:40:08 )   
Ignore this User | Report Abuse   
UPDATED Sat Jun 9 2007 16:43:23
Oh NOW they're worried about people who violate the Terms?? I have a whole list of Ignores who used to post crap the minute the admins had left for the day, which would sometimes be there all weekend. Why don't they at least READ the posts and kill the ones they should, leaving the worthwhile ones undamaged? Is it all done by a machine or something? They don't seem to know what they're doing.

We had troll attacks last year that went on for months, with nothing effective being done to stop them.

I guess the solution, instead of using a special bump name is just to post a message and then immediately delete it, so all it says is "Message deleted by the poster". That must work, because the last time I looked there were plenty of nearly empty threads that had entire pages of nothing but that, repeated over and over. Some well-meaning people (who've now been kicked off) managed to find out who they were from (I myself captured one before it could be delete) -- but the admins seemed to have no idea who, and they don't seem to care.

All that has been preserved on IMDb seems almost certain to collapse...

Ogmallet/TrollHammer/Grendlesledge and Northernplains are hardworking unsung heroes who nightly have labored bumping hundreds of threads to preserve content on TOB that would otherwise surely be lost.

They have deepest gratitude for all they have accomplished, I hope to be one of the first to welcome them here...

TOoP/Bruce

« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 01:19:12 am by TOoP/Bruce »
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
I am so sorry to hear this.  So many people, including some very good friends of mine expended a lot of energy over there last year.  They spent many months fighting those hideous brats.  One of them, the fox-whatever-he-calls-himself-these-days even personally targeted my friend and her son,  IMDb deleted her account for complaining and reporting too much.  That troll firestorm is what led them here.

I understand how you feel Bruce.  It is really sad that IMDb is targeting those who are only trying to preserve their history along with those out to destroy it.  Thank God there is a troll free place like Bettermost where like minded people can gather and share in peace.  It seems that IMDb is truly just a database and that is all they are interested in maintaining.  The message boards have no interest for them.  But alas what they don't see is that those boards are often filled with incredible insights into complex and dynamic films and the IMDb automated delete of older files & the trolls are destroying so much more than just old files and our thoughts and words.

I read an article recently about people who troll.  It is most often young men between the ages of 13 and 26, only about 10% of females engage in the behavior and usually then to please a male in their lives or to be accepted.  Occassionally, but rarely  a disenfrancised and immature male may continue the behavior into his 30's.   They are often vicious and frequently attack groups they can ridicule; intellectuals, homosexuals, women, ethnic groups and rival trolls.   It makes them feel powerful and the more responses they get to their attacks the more powerful they feel...which is a stark diffrence from their "REAL" life where they often feel powerless.

Nothing you don't know I'm sure but it does help to understand and know the enemy does it not?  :-\
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 12:34:00 am by dot-matrix »
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Boy, this brings back memories of bad stuff.  I went around being angry a lot last year, and I hated to give in to those little creeps, but IMDb is perfectly set up to be a playground for them.  I decided it was better to leave and stop giving them fodder for their behavior than to stay and fight, as did many others.

Fortunately, a number of the best threads were saved and archived, as you have done also, Bruce.  Thanks for the great work you've done.

Just after I became a mod, we had our most blatant troll attack, a bunch of filthy messages posted in rapid succession.  I was the lucky one who got to delete them as fast as they appeared.  It felt WONDERFUL;D

I'm really glad you all decided to come to BetterMost.  I love our newbies!  What a smart, funny, huggable bunch you are!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
I just checking out IMDb, there are a few boards there I keep up with regularly and I was checking to see if anyone had heard if The Dresden Files had been picked up again.  Of course Trolls are everywhere and I went to report one and this is the new heading on the Report Abuse Page:

Report Abuse
Please read the following carefully before proceeding.
Picture the mellowest, most easy-going, tolerant person you know. Can you honestly assert that person would agree that this message MUST be deleted? If not, please do not submit an abuse report. Just skip the message and move on. We would much rather work on other areas of the website than to read and process abuse reports. Therefore, if we don't agree with you, we're going to ding your account and perhaps remove both your ability to report abuse and post.

and it is in RED at IMDb.  Seems that they really do not care about trolling or perserving the quality of their message boards.  Since that is the case why should I or anyone else waste our time sharing insights on their web-site since it won't last long enough for anyone to see it anyway and we're going to be disrespected while we're there.  I just don't understand the  "ignore it" attitude.  Because I have been ignoring bullies all my life and it doesn't stop them, it doesn't make them go away, it makes them feel powerful becuase your silence is preceived as acceptance of their superior tactics.  That really chaffs my bunns.   Bad behavior should carry some kind of consequence.  >:(
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male

Report Abuse
Picture the mellowest, most easy-going, tolerant person you know. Can you honestly assert that person would agree that this message MUST be deleted? If not, please do not submit an abuse report. Just skip the message and move on. We would much rather work on other areas of the website than to read and process abuse reports. Therefore, if we don't agree with you, we're going to ding your account and perhaps remove both your ability to report abuse and post.

OMG Dottie! IMDb actually responded to your abuse report with that message???

Isn't that terrible??  >:(

During the "Troll Wars" last year, I sent MANY abuse reports to IMDb. I figured nobody was paying attention to them, because  nothing ever happened. Nothing ever seemed to get corrected. The trolls simply continued to crap all over the board. But NEVER once did IMDb send me a message like THAT!!  >:(

Their attitude sure has changed over there. Either that, or they are FINALLY admitting that they don't care.

God, and they're putting it in big red letters too!

Oh my God!!!  >:(

Well, just as long as everyone knows they are very welcome over here. Such fun and games don't happen here at BetterMost. It's nice to know we don't have to put up with that pathetic attitude any longer. I am sooooo glad  I decided to switch over to BetterMost over a year ago.

I had almost forgotten how bad it is over there. It's a shame too, because there are so many nice people over at IMDb. Unfortunately it's troll heaven over there. It's really sad.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Report Abuse

That's the new message everyone now gets when reporting troll activity at IMDb.

Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
You know, in theory, I actually think that message is OK. I'm far from the mellowest, most easygoing, tolerant person I know, but when I come upon a message that is only annoying or obnoxious or ignorant, I'm able to roll my eyes and move on. And then there's always that handy "ignore" button. So I've only reported one or two posts in my whole time at imdb -- posts that were so vile and sickening that no one should have to read them.

I also understand their point about it being preferable for the administrators to spend more time working on other areas of the website -- again, in theory.

The problem is, they don't realize that the damage the trolls are doing at the BBM board is much worse than writing objectionable posts. And they don't seem to pay enough attention to the situation to understand what is really going on. The "ignore" button is useless. Skipping and moving on is not an option.

And now, apparently, trying to get them to understand will just lead to account dinging and removal of posting ability.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
That's the new message everyone now gets when reporting troll activity at IMDb.

But if a troll reporting a harmless post just for the sake of getting it deleted gets that message, it's not such a bad thing, is it?  If the mods ding his account, that's what we want.  The key words seem to be "if we don't agree with you".  How could they not agree with you when you report a truly abusive, gay-bashing post?

Maybe that's their response to the auto-delete campaign that we all suffered so much from.  It's the lazy way of doing it, but it's a start.  :-\

(I'm not sure how whole threads get deleted.  Is it by reporting abuse, too?)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Boy, this brings back memories of bad stuff.  I went around being angry a lot last year, and I hated to give in to those little creeps, but IMDb is perfectly set up to be a playground for them.  I decided it was better to leave and stop giving them fodder for their behavior than to stay and fight, as did many others.

couldn't have said it better myself Meryl.

Its so frustraiting but in the end you have to move on. The real shame is that anyone who has just discovered the movie and goesa on to IMDB might be put off discussing it becasue of those dirty trolls. Are we activley advertising bettermost by the way over there at the moment - I'd be happy to go over and post a few times again but don't want to alert the trolls either and cause work for admin.

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Ellemeno

couldn't have said it better myself Meryl.

Its so frustraiting but in the end you have to move on. The real shame is that anyone who has just discovered the movie and goesa on to IMDB might be put off discussing it becasue of those dirty trolls. Are we activley advertising bettermost by the way over there at the moment - I'd be happy to go over and post a few times again but don't want to alert the trolls either and cause work for admin.

Kelda, that's thoughtful of you.  But listen to the good news - when we get the rare troll here at BetterMost, it's not much work at all for anybody.  Here's what happens:

1)  Troll joins BetterMost and posts one yucky post.
2)  A sharp-eyed mod deletes the post.  Or a sharp-eyed community member reports the post, and then a mod deletes the post.  Yucky post is usually not viewable for more than a few minutes.
3)  Admin bans troll, so troll is not able to post here anymore.
4)  Admin reports troll's actions to troll's internet service provider.

Simple, easy, quick.  All of that is just a few clicks on anyone's part.   And it's satisfying for the sharp-eyed user, the mod, and the admin to know we really are all in this together and supportive of our little home here.

So feel free to invite everyone on IMDb over here.  :)

Clarissa