Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476114 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #380 on: April 02, 2007, 07:37:01 pm »
I noticed the coy hatbrim lowering (reciprocal hatbrim dipping to Ennis's first move?) but I never saw his lips moving until it was pointed out here. Just one of the many benefits of this forum! Thanks, Herr!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #381 on: April 02, 2007, 09:19:54 pm »
one lovable, subtle detail I've mentioned here and there over the months but get little follow up is the brief scene when Ennis and Jack meet at Aguirre's trailer.

When Jack arrives, he moves back and forth along the side of the pickup. At one point, after he clearly notices Ennis as a person of interest, he lowers his head to allow his hat to cover his eyes. For a split second, his lips move. I believe he is saying to himself either "Oh my God" or "Can't believe it".

anyone see this detail the same way? thanks!

I asked someone who reads lips what he said. She said Jake says 2 distinct words:

'Holy Shit'
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #382 on: April 04, 2007, 09:33:23 am »
^  Wow - gotta check that out myself!  But I don't have trouble believing that - I'd say something very similar if I laid eyes on either of those two, & then you'd have to pick me up off the floor ;D 

It made me think about Jack having a really strong reaction to Ennis at the get-go, then knowing he'd be working with him all summer & how he was going to handle it.  I'd be a nervous wreck.  I think Jack was a bit nervy to start with but soon realised that he needn't be cos nothing was going to be happening any time soon where Ennis was concerned  :P
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #383 on: April 04, 2007, 12:46:18 pm »
^  Wow - gotta check that out myself!  But I don't have trouble believing that - I'd say something very similar if I laid eyes on either of those two, & then you'd have to pick me up off the floor ;D 

It made me think about Jack having a really strong reaction to Ennis at the get-go, then knowing he'd be working with him all summer & how he was going to handle it.  I'd be a nervous wreck.  I think Jack was a bit nervy to start with but soon realised that he needn't be cos nothing was going to be happening any time soon where Ennis was concerned  :P

He did in fact say "Holy Shit" under his breath but the dialogue was cut to add more subtlety to the scene.

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #384 on: April 04, 2007, 12:53:34 pm »
thanks, I had not seen any indication in the script that there was dialog at the segment, but for sure his lips were moving. One of the tiny details that few have noticed!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #385 on: April 04, 2007, 01:41:44 pm »
thanks, I had not seen any indication in the script that there was dialog at the segment, but for sure his lips were moving. One of the tiny details that few have noticed!

Hell, you and I noticed!!!

lol lol lol

and it was intriguing enough to ask a hearing impaired person what the hell he'd said, to me it looked like either godDAYUM or ShEEEIT.

But, lol lol lol ....it was Holy SHIT.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #386 on: April 28, 2007, 06:34:26 am »
I just watched the movie AGAIN..............and i noticed something funny.........its in the beginning when Enns near the trailer and Aguire drives in like he is going to drive right into the trailer.....Ennis quickly moves out of the way....just one quick movement, but i thought it was funny.....and i could picture Ennis thinking...."holy shit"
"
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #387 on: April 28, 2007, 07:48:29 am »
I just watched the movie AGAIN..............and i noticed something funny.........its in the beginning when Enns near the trailer and Aguire drives in like he is going to drive right into the trailer.....Ennis quickly moves out of the way....just one quick movement, but i thought it was funny.....and i could picture Ennis thinking...."holy shit"
"

Yes, I like this detail, too  :).
Another subtle detail follows shortly after: when Aguirre gets up the stairs and opens the door of the trailer, Ennis begins to step up the steps too, to follow Aguirre inside. But Aguirre just slams the door behind hisself, more or less directly in Ennis' face, without any notion to Ennis (or Jack) to follow him. So Ennis steps down again, unsure of what to do. He even shoots a brief glance in Jack's direction.
Why does Ennis glance towards Jack? Because he feels embarrassed and wants to know if the other guy has noticed? Or to see what Jack's doing, if he shows any intent to follow Aguirre without invitation on Aguirre's side?

Hm. I think it's the first, he's self-conscious because he has wrongly assumed Aguirre follows the usual rules of politeness.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #388 on: April 28, 2007, 06:06:20 pm »
Yes Ennis backtracking down the steps after the door is slammed in his face, is something I too always notice.....the look he gives Jack is probably saying "whats with this guy Aguire?....what do i do now?"
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #389 on: April 29, 2007, 11:58:39 pm »
The backtracking is a really interesting detail to discuss!  I don't recall that being analyzed much before.  I love the opening 10 minutes or so of the film.  Brilliant.

So, I almost decided to start a new thread about this, but figured it might work well in this thread instead...  It's about the fact that Jack and Ennis are smoking a joint the evening before TS3/ the night before the lake scene argument.  It occurs to me that (like many things in this scene) that joint is sort of ominous.  It seems like a bad sign that they would turn to a joint AND whiskey in order to relax during this late camping trip.  You would think that just being together would be enough to relax them.  The whiskey is their typical aphrodisiac, so that seems normal.  But, the addition of the joint just feels off in the context of their relationship.  I don't really know how to articulate this well.  Maybe that joint just symbolizes how stressed their relationship really is at this stage.
 :-\
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie