Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476166 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #410 on: May 03, 2007, 11:54:14 pm »
I certainly don't mind this sojourn into complicated analysis that's cropped up over the last few days here in this thread!  Thanks so much for all of your thoughtful insights, Buds!
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #411 on: May 04, 2007, 02:42:10 pm »
this may have been discussed before, but what the heck..  :)

I love how Jack sortof 'nuzzles' the bedroll (i was going to say pillow, but then i realized there were no pillows lol) just as he puts Ennis's hand 'you know where' during the first tent scene.

I never noticed this during my theater viewing because the whole scene is too dark (never noticed the adorable handholding during that scene either.). I found out about this when i saw one of the many You Tube video's.

Talk about a subtle, lovable detail! Such great acting.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #412 on: May 04, 2007, 09:39:01 pm »
 :)  This film is just filled with significant nuzzling, isn't it?  :)

stoppedatennis

« Reply #413 on: May 28, 2007, 07:52:43 am »
Well there are two subtle instances that stand out for me.

1.  During FNIT after Ennis jumps up in suprise to what Jack is doing, placing his hand on Ennis, Jack subtly takes Ennis's hand and places it back on his apparent erection. This time Ennis does'nt resist, then Jack proceeds to removing his coat. Did anyone else notice this?

2.. About Jack's mom., When Ennis arrives to retrieve Jack's ashes Mrs. Twist opens the door and comes outside as oppose to Mr. Twist. She knew who he was already, and led Ennis to the shirts with a gentle prodding to go upstairs to Jack's room where she had "kept it just like Jack would have wanted" Ennis discovers the shirts.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #414 on: June 05, 2007, 12:30:44 am »
Well there are two subtle instances that stand out for me.

1.  During FNIT after Ennis jumps up in suprise to what Jack is doing, placing his hand on Ennis, Jack subtly takes Ennis's hand and places it back on his apparent erection. This time Ennis does'nt resist, then Jack proceeds to removing his coat. Did anyone else notice this?

2.. About Jack's mom., When Ennis arrives to retrieve Jack's ashes Mrs. Twist opens the door and comes outside as oppose to Mr. Twist. She knew who he was already, and led Ennis to the shirts with a gentle prodding to go upstairs to Jack's room where she had "kept it just like Jack would have wanted" Ennis discovers the shirts.

Yup, these are two great details Bud!  That gesture that you mention in item 1. ( :D) is really easy to miss... I think partly because their hands are off-screen, so you can't exactly see what's precisely happening.  But based on the angle of their arms and the brief exchange of glances, Ennis's sudden stillness, etc. it does seem to be just what you said.  I think that Jack redirecting Ennis's hand like that and Ennis's reaction this second time is exactly what gives Jack the confidence to proceed.

And, the more I watch the scene in Lightning Flat, the more I notice moments of silent communication between Ennis and Mrs. Twist.  She absolutely knows who Ennis is and clearly was a big factor in the preservation of those shirts (and keeping them a secret from Old Man Twist).  When Ennis comes back downstair Mrs. Twist smiles and nods at him when she sees what he's carrying.  I love Mrs. Twist.
 :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #415 on: June 05, 2007, 02:04:53 am »
Yup, these are two great details Bud!  That gesture that you mention in item 1. ( :D) is really easy to miss... I think partly because their hands are off-screen, so you can't exactly see what's precisely happening.  But based on the angle of their arms and the brief exchange of glances, Ennis's sudden stillness, etc. it does seem to be just what you said.  I think that Jack redirecting Ennis's hand like that and Ennis's reaction this second time is exactly what gives Jack the confidence to proceed.

And, the more I watch the scene in Lightning Flat, the more I notice moments of silent communication between Ennis and Mrs. Twist.  She absolutely knows who Ennis is and clearly was a big factor in the preservation of those shirts (and keeping them a secret from Old Man Twist).  When Ennis comes back downstair Mrs. Twist smiles and nods at him when she sees what he's carrying.  I love Mrs. Twist.
 :)

I couldn't agree more about Mrs Twist. And like Amanda, I see more and more what's going on between her and Ennis, the more I see the movie. She's curious waiting for Ennis when he comes back downstairs and to me, she seems downright relieved when she sees that Ennis has the shirts.

I still don't see the first one, Jack placing Ennis's hand on his crotch a second time. I had read it before and looked for it the second to last time I saw the movie (last time was with my fellow Brokies at the BBQ and I was totally swept away again).
Guess I'll put the DVD in later and watch the part in slow motion.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #416 on: June 05, 2007, 07:50:05 pm »
I still don't see the first one, Jack placing Ennis's hand on his crotch a second time. I had read it before and looked for it the second to last time I saw the movie (last time was with my fellow Brokies at the BBQ and I was totally swept away again).
Guess I'll put the DVD in later and watch the part in slow motion.

Hey Bud,

Well, you don't actually see their hands because they're off screen at the bottom of the screen.  What you do see is Jack bringing Ennis's arm back over in the direction of his crotch.  So, you see the angle of their arms which is very suggestive.  You also see Ennis become very still momentarily and (to me) it looks like he sort of thoughtfully looks in Jack's eyes (eventhough Ennis still looks pretty sleepy and confused).  This happens almost as soon as they both sit upright.

Dagi

« Reply #417 on: June 11, 2007, 03:58:20 pm »
Hi everyone, what a great thread !

I don´t know if this has been mentioned before, but I love the way  Jack (in TS1, after unbuckling his belt in a way that always makes me moan slightly) actually pulls Ennis on his back. I read so much about Ennis shoving Jack, but I see Jack doing his part to get in position.

And what strikes me as very cute is that Ennis strokes the (first) postcard with his thumb while reading it!

And yes, I love Jack ´nuzzling´ the bedroll and moaning into it.

And I love the sounds they make when they kiss.

And I love Jacks tongue whenever I get to see it.  :P  :o

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #418 on: June 12, 2007, 06:19:04 pm »
I love it when Ennis teases Jack about his harmonic playing.  It's almost mid-day-broad-day foreplay!
I love it when Jack giggles at Ennis' jokes about his playing.

I love it when in the campsite Jack curls his mouth into a cute smile and says,
"That's more words than you spoke in two weeks."  It's not what he says, it's the smile before he says that.

I love the first reunion embrace, when they're trying to pull away, break it off and the last thing Ennis does, like he's just got to get a little more of Jack on him... is nudge and wipe his head on Jack before he walks away.

That is such a brillant subtle bit of business from Ledger.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 12:04:44 am by Rayn »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #419 on: June 12, 2007, 10:21:03 pm »
Stop that, Rayn!  I'm gonna have to go watch the movie again in a minute!  :P  :P  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...