Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476141 times)

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2006, 03:27:53 pm »
I have something shameful to admit. I see you guys saying you watched the DVD last night and all this good stuff. I've only watched it 1 and 1/2 times since I've had it. :(
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2006, 03:30:00 pm »
I have something shameful to admit. I see you guys saying you watched the DVD last night and all this good stuff. I've only watched it 1 and 1/2 times since I've had it. :(

Hey I've only watched it twice.....only seen it a total of 4 times EVER!  Now thats shameful...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2006, 03:33:00 pm »
I saw it twice at the cinema and only once since I got it but I've onlu had it a week! might be watching it tonight tho...its either that or brassed off!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2006, 03:45:29 pm »
Brassed Off! There's a movie I haven't thought about in a long time. I loved it when I first saw it.
Speaking of Ewan, I saw a movie of his this weekend called Stay. Not so good.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2006, 03:59:30 pm »
Sparklepie,
I haven't watched the DVD yet.  No shame.  Just life.  Did Jack love Ennis less just because he didn't see him very often?

heart heart heart

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2006, 05:11:51 pm »
And the weird thing is, in the trailer he DOES tuck in his shirt! So why doesn't he in the movie? Maybe they (Ang, Heath, etc.) thought there were already too many shirt tuckings. Or ...

Hi latjoreme,

I just watched the trailer twice. I'm sorry, I can't see Ennis tucking in his shirt in the trailer. For me, the shot looks exactly the same as in the movie: it looks as if he were tucking in his shirt a second later, as if he started to tuck it in - but then the scene in the trailer is cut to another scene. So you don't see what he actually does.
And in the movie it's wiping his hand, not tucking in the shirt.

But maybe I start splitting hairs here...No wonder in consideration of the rich symbolism ans subtleties Mr. Lee provides in this movie. Blame it all on Ang Lee... :laugh: He made the movie, so he is responsible for our obsession  ;)  (ok, there were some more people involved, but I won't enumerate them now - we all know them  ;D )

PS: great to see you here. It was one of your posts on the IMDB board, which gave me a very important insight (why Ang Lee doesn't give us more "happy scenes")

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2006, 06:37:50 pm »
Well I have just watched the DVD (2nd time since it arrived on Tuesday), and noticed a lovable detail that I had probably noticed subconsciously before, but this time it was very conscious:

Just after Ennis says his great line, "You may be a sinner, but I ain't yet had the opportunity" **, Jack hands him the bottle of whiskey, as if to say "I'll give you an opportunity, buddy". Indeed, Ennis takes it (the bottle/opportunity to come), and even says "thank you", hehe!

**: lines that have been immortalized on t-shirts by Jenny! Thanks Newyearsday, still thinking of the pics!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2006, 09:14:22 pm »
Is it just me, but -- let's see, how to put this delicately? I guess it's impossible -- does Ennis bolting from the room at just that moment, perhaps in combination with that hand gesture, somehow bring to mind the line from the story about how he wrang it out a hundred times thinking about Jack? I mean, Movie Ennis would never actually SAY that, but I'm sure that in fact it must have happened. And he's certainly thinking about Jack then. Maybe this is their subtle indirect tactful way of alluding to that.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it. But then, everything in this movie means something ...

I quite like this idea.  It's a good explanation as to why he gets out of the kitchen so quickly.  I love the little up-tick of music as he leave the kitchen too.  A little sign of optimism.

-Another little detail I love... when the boys are up on brokeback moving the herd from the first location to the second... there's a long-shot scene of the landscape and the soundtrack is really doing all the work.  Then, a very clear, high-pitched and single bird call (maybe even an eagle or something) breaks into the guitar playing in lovely harmony with it.  That bird call seems like the pure sound of happiness right here.  It almost reminds me of the sound of someone cheering (it almost sounds like the word 'yay').

-On a completely different note... I love that Jack unfastens his belt with one hand in the first tent scene.  And yes, this makes it pretty clear that he's a lefty.
 :D

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2006, 10:37:10 pm »
The Elks is an extremely conservative men's organzation--and that's what it means to me.

I love it when Alma, after Jack and Ennis have just driven out of the back yard going to the mountains, takes her hand from the baby's head and waves a little...
while she's still crying.
I love the expression on Jack's face when after he starts with the ear, moves to stroking Ennis's cheek, like he was thinking, man this is one sick, repressed puppy I got here, and what can I do? Comfort him, I guess..

I love the way tears come to Lureen's eyes, but don't fall, and she makes the tiny sound, after Ennis says "No m'am, we was heredin' sheep one summer on Brokeback, back in '63."

"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2006, 12:25:50 am »
The Elks is an extremely conservative men's organzation--and that's what it means to me.

Sure, that and the depressing state of the Elks building itself stand as great contrasts to what "elk" meant to Jack and Ennis on the mountain.  Still the word does seem to provide a clue that their renewed romance is right around the corner (reinforced maybe by the man in the black hat whom Ennis nearly runs over in his truck as he pulls into his driveway).  Up on brokeback, the elk hunt was one of their key, early bonding moments.  I love that Ennis allows himself to touch Jack directly following his little display of prowess in securing an elk/ food for Jack.  Jack tending to Ennis's wound following the bear was Jack's first attempt at physical contact.  And the elk "mini tussle" is Ennis's first.  Also, in the last argument scene between Jack and Ennis, when Ennis is trying to get Jack to warm up to the idea of November he specifically mentions elk to try to appease him.

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating, in the movie elk seems to = aphrodisiac. 

-here's a new detail (thinking of early moments of physical contact)- as they're setting up their second camp we see a long shot of Jack picking up that drift-wood log from the stream near the bridge and hauls it up on his shoulder.  Ennis comes over to him and seems to touch Jack on his shoulder or arm.  An interesting moment where Ennis is initiating a bit of intimacy.  A display of just how comfortable and friendly he's feeling towards Jack. It's funny that he doesn't seem to be coming to help carry the log... just to touch Jack.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie