Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476173 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2006, 11:57:53 pm »
I like to think that bird cry in the canyon was that of an eagle. It's certainly a bird of prey of some kind.

Heya Friend, I like the idea of it being an eagle too. It's sort of an oblique way of adding the eagle symbol that Proulx makes pretty evident in the story (i.e. Jack's eagle feather).

And, hey there Roland!  Yup, I remember all the old discussions about the left-handedness.  I think the can opener is a good example.  Now, all this begs the question... is Jake Gyllenhaal left handed?

OK, more details...
-I love that Ennis's excuse to Alma for wanting to stay out all night with Jack is that they might talk all night.  Has Ennis ever talked all night with anyone?  Would he be capable of that amount of conversation?  It's still very cute.

-and another... significantly more subtle observation.  OK, bear with me on this one.  When Jack first pulls up outside Aguirre's trailer at the very beginning and gets out to kick his truck... in the next shot we see his profile up close to the left in the frame and a "square" of grass waving in the breeze to the upper right in the same frame.   This "square" of waving grass is outlined by the top of the truck bed and the actual frame of the screen.  This image of the grass in the breeze is just so similar to the last scene in the movie after Ennis closes his closet door and we see the grass in the field waving outside the window frame.  Oh my.  The Jack=wind metaphor just knocks me out.  One of the most brilliant ideas ever. 
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2006, 12:25:22 am »
my fav...ok, ONE of my favs..is in the tent after the first love scene..i take it is evening and Jack is in the tent laying down, shirt off..(MG)and Ennis is sitting by the fire...you can tell he is thinking deeply and struggling mightly...then he just gets up and walkes over to the tent, with his hat in his hand...the universal language for coming with an apology...kneels down and just silently looks at Jack, who sits up and the looks on their faces just rocks me...Jack touches Ennis' face and they kiss and so softly, Ennis says "I'm sorry and Jack says "it's alright, it's alright"...then the embrace...so much love and pent up emotion in that scene, really having nothing to do with the sex, but 2 human beings clinging to each other and erasing years of hurt and sadness...
it just destroys me every time i watch it..so much said, and very few words spoken...
It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2006, 01:16:14 am »
Hey there, maggiesmommy!  Welcome to BetterMost. 

That was a nice post.  I love the hat-holding gesture too.  In addition to being sort of a gesture of apology, I see it as a very old-fashioned gesture of a gentleman.  The kind of gesture that would be most appropriate to the etiquette of courting in a bygone era.  And, the way Ennis holds the hat in front of him when he kneels down also serves as a last barrier or defense.  And, Jack just gently takes it from him, with no real resistance from Ennis.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2006, 06:18:52 am »
-I love that Ennis's excuse to Alma for wanting to stay out all night with Jack is that they might talk all night.  Has Ennis ever talked all night with anyone?  Would he be capable of that amount of conversation?  It's still very cute.

I love this one, too. Ennis the chatterbox  ;). I wonder what Alma would have thought, if she hadn't seen them kissing a few moments before.

Another one I like very much. It's not really subtle, I think you all noticed it at the first viewing, but anyway, I just love it: Ennis's very first stolen glance at Jack under the rim of his hat outside Aguirre's trailer. Jack getting out of the car, coming to Ennis as if he wants to introduce himself - but Ennis puts his head down and his whole body language says 'No'. Jack decides different. Then Ennis steals a glance from under the hat's rim. This is the second Ennis wins my heart.

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2006, 11:38:17 am »
Thanks..its good to be here...
i never thought of the "gentleman thing, but its as clear as dya!! you're right!!!  it was a courtship gesture, and he probably didn't even realize it himself..how beautiful...
and yes..aslo a barrier, that was cast away in one loving gesture...
this is such a quiet, dignified and intelligent forum..thank you so much for your insights...

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2006, 12:12:32 pm »
I love this thread....

-I love that Ennis's excuse to Alma for wanting to stay out all night with Jack is that they might talk all night.  Has Ennis ever talked all night with anyone?  Would he be capable of that amount of conversation?
Hey Amanda,
There was a great thread on TOB (and of course, it's gone now) called "Ennis speaks a truth greater than he knows"...and he's doing that here.
While we all know what kind of communicatin is on Ennis' mind (and the rest of him) at that moment you describe, Jack is the one person that Ennis has in his life who he would (and has before) talk with all night, and that's another of the reasons they love each other.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 02:51:21 pm by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2006, 12:17:28 pm »
I love this thread....

-I love that Ennis's excuse to Alma for wanting to stay out all night with Jack is that they might talk all night.  Has Ennis ever talked all night with anyone?  Would he be capable of that amount of conversation?
Hey Amanda,
There was a great thread on TOB (and yeah, it's gone now) called "Ennis speaks a truth greater than he knows"...and he's doing that here.
While we all know what kind of communicatin is on Ennis' mind (and the rest of him) at that moment you describe, Jack is the one person in the world that Ennis has, and would, talk with all night, and that's another of the reasons they love each other.

i am just getting used to this board and how to use it...so apologies...i love the first glance too...jack just staring, then his head down, and the whew..you can see under his breath and under his hat...and yes, the stolen glance from Ennis..very subtle and furtive..which pretty much cements their relationship AND their personalities in about 30 seconds..i love ang

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2006, 12:49:29 pm »
-On a completely different note... I love that Jack unfastens his belt with one hand in the first tent scene.  And yes, this makes it pretty clear that he's a lefty.
 :D

Thank you for that detail. On some other thread, a long time ago, I suggested that Jake/Jack was left-handed, based on his can-opening method, and turkey carving way. On further viewing I had second thoughts and felt a fool for having metioned it (I think it's on one of the I love everything threads in the archives). Anyways, thanks for that additional observation - (You gotta admit, he's opening the can o'beans in a rather weird way!)

I wonder if maybe Jake is a lefty. I remember seeing a picture of him learning to surf, and noticing he was leading with his right foot.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2006, 12:53:40 pm »
There was a topic on Jake's IMDB board a while back about whether he's a lefty, drawing on that he writes with his left in The Good Girl. But in most other thing's it's with his right, so I think we decided he might be ambidextrous.

I'll try find the topic.
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2006, 03:06:24 pm »
I just love the head lift.  When Ennis goes into the tent the first time and lays down, you see Jack slightly lift his head, probably deciding what to do.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich