Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476175 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2006, 12:27:02 pm »
I'm not underestimating his sense of protectiveness over Jack.  No, I think that when he's around Jack I think he's super protective.  I'm sure his whole thing about living apart has a lot to do with his sense of protectiveness.  He thinks he's sparing Jack and himself from homophobic violence.  It's just that in that instance on the phone, thinking about Jack's death, he feels guilty for not being there.  The lamb on the mountain top died when Ennis wasn't there looking after it... just like Jack died when Ennis wasn't around to help out.  So, yes, definitely Jack is the "nuturing" one while Ennis is the protecitve on.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2006, 12:37:27 pm »
The lamb on the mountain top died when Ennis wasn't there looking after it... just like Jack died when Ennis wasn't around to help out.

Exactly. I think that scene foreshadowed Jack's fate. And Ennis' guilty and dismayed expression foreshadows his feelings at the end. In fact, to the extent that I'm willing to believe we're supposed to "know" that Jack was murdered (and I have budged a little in that direction), it's the slaughtered sheep -- immediately followed by Jack washing the shirt and looking vulnerable -- that I find most persuasive.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2006, 08:25:57 pm »
I'm finding the sheep metaphor increasingly poignant the more I keep thinking about it.  It's now right up there with the wind as my favorite symbol in the film.  Just brilliant.

OK... a new detail...  I love how Ennis sneaks a mischievous glance at Jack out of the corner of his eyes as he's sipping from his cup in the "my dad thought rodeo cowboys was all f*** ups" conversation.  You can tell he's trying to push Jack's buttons or see how far he can tease him...  A cute and early playful moment out of Ennis.
Adorable.
 :D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 08:40:44 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2006, 08:29:45 pm »
OK... a new detail...  I love how Ennis sneaks a mischievous glance at Jack out of the corner of his eyes as he's sipping from his cup in the "my dad thought rodeo cowboys was all f*** ups" conversation.  You can tell he's trying to push Jack's buttons or see how far he can tease him...  A cute and early playful moment out of Ennis.
Adorable.
 :D

Agreed!  And when Jack says "the hell they are" Ennis has this "prove me (and my dad) wrong" look on his face.....as if he's challengin him.....something I've always noticed...

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2006, 08:32:53 pm »
I may have posted this already, but the one thing I noticed and loved from the first viewing, is the slight head lift Jack does when Ennis lays down next to him in the first tent scene.
I could actually hear the wheels in his head turning.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2006, 08:34:36 pm »
I may have posted this already, but the one thing I noticed and loved from the first viewing, is the slight head lift Jack does when Ennis lays down next to him in the first tent scene.
I could actually hear the wheels in his head turning.

You mean when Jack lifts his head and looks back slightly at Ennis with his eyes?  That what your talkin about? 

If so I've always noticed that too.....
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 08:36:39 pm by Slayers »

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2006, 09:21:59 pm »
You mean when Jack lifts his head and looks back slightly at Ennis with his eyes?  That what your talkin about? 

If so I've always noticed that too.....

Oh yeah, that's the one.  It's done with such subtlety, you blink, you miss.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2006, 09:41:02 pm »
anyone have a the screen cap right before this?

Nope can't say as I have.......it almost looks as if Ennis is holdin Jack.....

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2006, 10:50:50 pm »
Nope can't say as I have.......it almost looks as if Ennis is holdin Jack.....

This one?

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2006, 10:52:56 pm »
This one?

Yep.....and in that pic it looks as if Jack is enjoying Ennis' embrace a little too much.....LOL