Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476190 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #430 on: October 06, 2007, 10:36:04 am »
I watched the movie last night for the first time since the Castro screening. One subtle detail I loved was when Ennis returned to the apartment on the day after the reunion to grab some clothes. Alma stands at the bedroom door in a rigid position, practically demanding that he ask Jack to come in for coffee. He brushes past her, saying "Aw, he's from Texas." Spunky Alma is not to be put off so easily. She follows him to the bathroom door, saying, "Texans don't drink coffee?" Ennis doesn't answer, but he has a toothbrush sticking out of his mouth. Even tho I've seen the movie umpteen times, I had to laff at that moment. Ennis gives himself away on so many levels with that "truthbrush" sticking out of his mouth. It has an air of comic obscenity to it! What do you think? Methinks that was something Heath dreamed up!!

« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 02:07:33 pm by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #431 on: October 06, 2007, 12:14:05 pm »
THAT IS A GOOD POINT AND QUESTION, YOU ARE SAYING FRONT-RANGER!!

CAN WE FIND OUT SOMEHOW??

And, remember too when Ennis says: You do not know, to his former wife as she and he washes dishes?? He keeps QUIET very long time front of her; like he had still such a toothbrush in his mouth... not wanting to tell her of his private love affaire with Jack!! But, she keeps on her butt... talk!!

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #432 on: October 06, 2007, 02:09:04 pm »
THAT IS A GOOD POINT AND QUESTION, YOU ARE SAYING FRONT-RANGER!!

CAN WE FIND OUT SOMEHOW??

And, remember too when Ennis says: You do not know, to his former wife as she and he washes dishes?? He keeps QUIET very long time front of her; like he had still such a toothbrush in his mouth... not wanting to tell her of his private love affaire with Jack!! But, she keeps on her butt... talk!!

Hugs!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Butt...talk, Artiste!! Can you say that in French??

:P

Offline Artiste

« Reply #433 on: October 06, 2007, 02:41:22 pm »
You are FUNNY Front-Ranger, as you make my day happier!!

Yes, Ennis's wife was jealous?? She still wanted to get her BUTT pleased by Ennis I supposed even after their divorce??

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #434 on: October 06, 2007, 03:48:47 pm »
I don't doubt it, Artiste!! So, here's a pic of the scene under discussion:

I know this is crazy, but somehow this pic reminds me of the famous picture of Benjamin staring at the outstretched leg of Mrs. Robinson!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #435 on: October 06, 2007, 03:57:45 pm »
That is after she has seen her man kissed another man!! Is she right now jealous?? She is agressive in this scene.

She is also utmostly agressive also in the scene at that famous supper with her 2nd husband where she tells him  Ennis off... for being with Jack Twist... (for having sex with another man)!! Because she knows that all those years her former husband had many sex episodes with Jack!! She assaults Jack's name even!!

She is lovable in a way... for waiting years to get rid of Ennis, but she still hopes to get Ennis back, I guess, even if she tells him off now!!

Right??

Hugs!!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #436 on: October 06, 2007, 06:20:06 pm »
The scene of the "morning after" with the "truthbrush" (  :laugh: ) is so complex visually.  All the doors and reflections make it seem like navigating the space of that small apartment is really, really difficult.  This seems to maybe be a metaphor for all the obstacles that exist in this part of Ennis's life... when all he wants to do is hurry up and get back to Jack.

Thanks for the pic Lee.  Visual aides are always helpful in these discussions.
:)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #437 on: October 06, 2007, 06:45:31 pm »
Thanks!

I like your expression: like a revolving door!

So the toothbruch scene is like a revolving door!!

So I think is also the other scene when she tells her past husband off for having sex and love with Jack instead of with her!! Like a revolving door, because she still loves him but can not have him anymore!! No sex with Ennis anymore with her!!

??

Hugs!!

Offline samwise_fan1965

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #438 on: November 11, 2007, 12:30:44 am »
I agree on the idea that Jack's mother may not have been ready just yet to go through his  stuff. It took almost a year after my mother passed before we felt comfortable clearing her stuff.

In the original short story, Jack notices, when Ennis strips to warsh everything he can reach, that Ennis is not wearing underwear nor socks. That implies that Jack is wearing them.

Oh, in regard to whether Mrs. Twist looked through Jack's left behind belongings, some people have to wait a long time after a loved one, even a child, before they sort through them. For some people, the grief and bereavement process lasts a long time. While Jack's mother never said that her adult son helped her in the house, only that he helped his father on the ranch, I believe that when clean clothing was put in Jack's closet, it was Jack who took it upstairs. Annie Proulx's Mrs. Twist was recovering from an operation when Ennis showed up at her home.

It was more that a year after my late partner/husband, Ed, died before I got any professional help with the loss of Ed and it took few months of weekly sessions to get to where I could be get on with his loss. But, then by that time, I had another big problem I had gotten assaulted from behind and hit in the head several times. Then I had to continue therapy related to that trauma.

Offline samwise_fan1965

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #439 on: November 11, 2007, 12:33:47 am »
Don't know if this was mentioned yet but I love the little smile on Ennis' face when he sends that little prayer up. It is only one of two times he seems really happy. The other tiime is of course when he is standing on the landing looking down at Jack when he first arrives.