Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476146 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2006, 01:53:17 pm »
I really hate how it cuts away right then. (Ang has said in interviews, I think, that the scene was trimmed way down from what they actually filmed -- we can only hope that more will surface in a special edition DVD or director's cut!)

Yup, I hope so too.  I remember an interview where Jake said the first tent scene took 13 takes!  So, maybe there's a lot more of that one too.  I've rarely heard the details of the second tent scene shoot discussed.  I think the "making-of" issues are really interesting.  So, I hope there's more of that on a special edition DVD too.  I think those special features on the current DVD are too short.

By the way, I seem to recall Ennis being quite active in the first tent scene... if not as sweet or intimate as he is in the second tent scene.
 ;) :-*
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 02:22:21 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2006, 04:11:25 pm »
By the way, I seem to recall Ennis being quite active in the first tent scene... if not as sweet or intimate as he is in the second tent scene.
 ;) :-*

Well, that's true! He doesn't say much, but he gets his point across.  ;)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2006, 08:14:26 pm »
And, I love how he seems to have adopted the "knock the cowboy hat off" move as a part of his foreplay ritual already by that scene.

Amanda, I wanted to respond to this post you wrote on the I Love Ennis thread, but Roland runs a tight ship over there -- you're not allowed to post unless it adds to the thread -- so I brought it over here. I, too, noticed that Ennis does the "knock the hat off" move. And then I noticed that when Jack and Lureen are in the back of L.D.'s car, Lureen pointedly removes Jack's hat. I think this action subconsciously appeals to Jack for this very reason! "Fast or slow, I just like the way you take my cowboy hat off!"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2006, 08:27:39 pm »
Amanda, I wanted to respond to this post you wrote on the I Love Ennis thread, but Roland runs a tight ship over there

LOL. :laugh:  I find the idea of strict rules over there charming and funny.

I, too, noticed that Ennis does the "knock the hat off" move. And then I noticed that when Jack and Lureen are in the back of L.D.'s car, Lureen pointedly removes Jack's hat. I think this action subconsciously appeals to Jack for this very reason! "Fast or slow, I just like the way you take my cowboy hat off!"

Yup, I think so too....  and, she's on top!
 :D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2006, 08:31:10 pm »
By the way... are we supposed to think that the Happy Tussle scene is the morning after the 2nd tent scene?  Or is it later in the summer?  Proulx makes it pretty clear that they were making out all the time, all over the place on the mountain after that first tent encounter.  But, is this clear to a movie viewer who might not have read the story?

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2006, 11:09:06 pm »
By the way... are we supposed to think that the Happy Tussle scene is the morning after the 2nd tent scene?  Or is it later in the summer?  Proulx makes it pretty clear that they were making out all the time, all over the place on the mountain after that first tent encounter.  But, is this clear to a movie viewer who might not have read the story?

I think the way the boys are so comfortable wiith each other in this scene implies that our boys have reached a degree of ease and comfort with each other that goes some way in implying that some time has passed. Besides, the book does suggest that with time they were doing it anywhere - anytime - sheep be damned, and at the beginning of this scene, Jack is obviously pulling up his jeans. Furthermore, where else do we get to see both of them shirtless, and outdoors.

Amanda, I wanted to respond to this post you wrote on the I Love Ennis thread, but Roland runs a tight ship over there -- you're not allowed to post unless it adds to the thread -- so I brought it over here. I, too, noticed that Ennis does the "knock the hat off" move...

Maybe I should ask Phillip to move THIS thread to the I Love Everything ... Brokeback forum  ;) get some tightness onto this little ship o' yours   :laugh: - just kidding!

So you both think I should lighter up hunh?!?!

Actually I'm just trying to keep things flowing, rather than have arguments - I'm sure I've gotten less "strict" in the past week of two (now that a certain few someones are no longer in my hair)
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #126 on: May 25, 2006, 11:17:54 pm »
So you both think I should lighter up hunh?!?!

Goodness Roland, we're just teasing you!

:laugh: :D ;)

OK, so here's a new detail that I'm just in love with.  In the morning after the first tent scene, it's bright morning, we see our boys (with their heads pointing towards the right edge of the screen) with Jack facing out towards the viewer on his side while we catch a glimpse of Ennis's face over Jack's neck as Ennis lies on his back.  Then, many scenes later, after Ennis and Alma have their confrontation in bed (the "no protection" moment) we see the exact opposite composition in the frame.  Alma turns the light out and it's dark, their heads are pointing towards the left edge of the frame and Alma is facing out towards the audience on her side while we see a glimpse of Ennis's face over her neck as lies on his back.

:D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 11:32:15 pm by atz75 »

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #127 on: May 25, 2006, 11:32:47 pm »
Hey, Roland!  :D  So great to see you here! As Amanda says, we are teasing -- I'm don't mind your tight ship. Some threads just don't lend themselves to straying far OT. I can't imagine, say, the ABCs of the last-scene thread dissolving into a debate over whether D should stand for Door or Daughter, and by the way, is Alma Jr. wearing bluebird earrings and what song is playing on the radio when she drives up?

Rules are good sometimes!

Anyway, I think of the happy tussle as occurring a while after TS2 -- not only because they're obviously very comfortable with each other by then, but also because for some reason I want their scenes of intimacy stretched out over a longer period. Why, I can't say, only that every time I watch I feel more and more achingly the "never enough time" thing. Damn you, Ang Lee!!!!  ;)

In other words, I could use a lot more of this:

they were doing it anywhere - anytime - sheep be damned,
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 01:31:26 am by latjoreme »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2006, 12:27:28 am »
what song is playing on the radio when she drives up?

LOL.  This is a good question.  I've always wondered this.  It is the '80s, after all, by this point in the film.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #129 on: May 26, 2006, 01:33:07 am »
LOL.  This is a good question.  I've always wondered this.  It is the '80s, after all, by this point in the film.

I think I actually remember this being discussed on TOB, but I didn't pay enough attention. You can almost almost make out what it is.