Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476067 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #460 on: January 30, 2008, 01:49:43 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger, thanks atz, thanks too all too!!

Since you mention toy cowboy on horse, is that the same as someone was sculpting in the tent?

Keep care all,

hugs!!!!!!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #461 on: January 30, 2008, 05:10:52 pm »
No. If you look carefully, the horse that Ennis was whittling was stocky, sortof like the Trojan horse. I've seen this actual horse, and it is made out of pine, I believe (hopefully lodgepole or Ponderosa pine like the ones found in the Big Horn Mountains). But the horse and rider on Jack's childhood desk are much skinner and are made out of metal, I believe. It fits, because Ennis is more "wooden" and of the earth (he also harbored a secret), while Jack was more conducive--we know he attracted lightning, hehe--and more associated with metal things like can openers, harmonicas, <gulp> tire irons...

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #462 on: January 30, 2008, 06:09:26 pm »
while Jack was more conducive--we know he attracted lightning, hehe--and more associated with metal things like can openers, harmonicas...

One might call Jack's personality "magnetic," even...
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #463 on: January 30, 2008, 06:21:47 pm »
One might call Jack's personality "magnetic," even...

Right as usual, friend Mel!! I'm praying for snow to keep being dumped on you so you'll bring us more of your wit which we've missed around this place!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline lori

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #464 on: February 22, 2008, 03:13:59 pm »
Hello,
I've been searching around for a thread where this is appropriate but couldn't seem tofind the right one.  Hope maybe you'll consider this a lovable detail...I've been thinking about the different ways Ennis says, "Jack Fuckin' Twist" in the movie.  At the beginning of the reunion scene, when he drops the pan in the river and at their last trip up to Brokeback when he threatens Jack.  Interesting, isn't it?
Lori

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #465 on: February 22, 2008, 03:24:56 pm »
Hello,
I've been searching around for a thread where this is appropriate but couldn't seem tofind the right one.  Hope maybe you'll consider this a lovable detail...I've been thinking about the different ways Ennis says, "Jack Fuckin' Twist" in the movie.  At the beginning of the reunion scene, when he drops the pan in the river and at their last trip up to Brokeback when he threatens Jack.  Interesting, isn't it?
Lori

Yes!  It's very, very interesting!  And, I think it certainly qualifies as a lovable detail.  ;D

Thanks for jumping in here.

The evolution of how that nickname-phrase is uttered by Ennis is a very telling sign about the stresses and tensions that have increasing impacts on their relationship.

Thinking about Ennis during the reunion scene... the moment when he comes out on the balcony and says "Jack Fuckin' Twist" always reminds me of a Romeo and Juliet-type balcony scene.  The fact that he says Jack's name actually reinforces this for me ("Jack Fuckin Twist" = "Romeo, Romeo"... in a certain way).  It's like an impoverished, small-town Wyoming, cowboy version of a Shakespearean star-crossed lovers romance.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #466 on: February 22, 2008, 04:21:48 pm »
Apologies if this has been mentioned before!!!!

I love when Ennis gets the 1st postcard and rubs his thumb along the edge of it.
It is almost as if he cannot believe what he is seeing/reading/holding.Particularly considering how much time has passed.
I can remember getting cards from loved ones ,and fngering them in just such a manner. The person almost becomes tangible ,as if touching something they have also held provides a link to them,makes you feel just that bit closer to them.
His expression is also a lesson in understatement ,and at the same time portrays so much.
How sad that such talent is no longer with us.
Why do the good always die young?

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #467 on: February 23, 2008, 07:02:41 am »
Hello,
Lori

I was just sitting here smiling at the fact that Ennis did have this kind of nickname for Jack, and wondered how or why it might have come about.

Maybe to match his own three tiered name Ennis Del Mar, he affectionately and humourously gave Jack a sjmilar three tier name.

Or maybe because he only introuduced himself as Ennis when he first met Jack, and the fact that Jack made a point of asking for his surname as well, so after that, he used the adjective fucking before Jack's surname, as a way of humoursly accentuating the Twist part of it....

I love the way it just rolls off Ennis's tongue, when he is addressing Jack, whether it be in excitement as in the reunion scene, or frustration as in the river scene, or in anger as in the last scene......

It really is a lovable subtle detail.......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #468 on: February 23, 2008, 12:11:24 pm »
I totally agree with both details being mentioned here lately. I think Jack F'in Twist is a very affectionate nickname, even the last time we hear it, in the lakeside argument. Ennis clearly is not affectionate in this moment, but yet, it is such a familiar term I think it shows their intimacy and close connection even in this harsh scene.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #469 on: February 23, 2008, 01:20:59 pm »
I totally agree with both details being mentioned here lately. I think Jack F'in Twist is a very affectionate nickname, even the last time we hear it, in the lakeside argument. Ennis clearly is not affectionate in this moment, but yet, it is such a familiar term I think it shows their intimacy and close connection even in this harsh scene.

Yes, I think by the time of the lakeside argument it's almost an "inside joke" or just something commonly understood between the two of them to have more meaning than the simple three words imply on their surface. 

If we (and Jack) hadn't heard the phrase "Jack Fuckin' Twist" previously in overtly affectionate scenes (with much different tone of voice) and this argument was the first utterance of this... it would probably be heard as more of a clear-cut insult or more mean-spirited.  But, because we know from previous encounters that this phrase carries affectionate associations for Ennis, it doesn't come across as harshly as it could otherwise.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie