Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476164 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2006, 01:10:16 am »
Oh my.  So, how is it possible that there's a "lovable subtle detail" from the reunion scene that I only noticed tonight?! :o

And, it's a good one.  After the camera cuts away from Alma in the kitchen and back outside to Ennis and Jack clinging to each other... Jack is tugging on Ennis's shirt so hard that one of the buttons pops open.  I've always loved that he's pulling on the shirt so that Ennis has to recompose himself (tuck in his shirt!) before heading back upstair.  But, I truly never noticed that button open before.
 :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2006, 02:34:33 am »
What is lost in the widerscreen (sic) version in the motel scene is even more important than what is lost in the first tent scene: not oly is Ennus;s wedding ring visable in all the waist-up shots, but his arm and hand rests lightly on Jack's arm. He responds to a vouple of Jack's statements with a light arm casress (like: Brokeback  got us good, huh" It is so much better than seeing him just lying there like he's lying on a fouton, without muh reaction to some of the the things jacjk sads,....esceopt to put an even tighter lid on Enis,, I can see no reqasin for removing the from the widescreen version...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2006, 03:47:16 am »
OK, so here's a new detail that I'm just in love with.  In the morning after the first tent scene, it's bright morning, we see our boys (with their heads pointing towards the right edge of the screen) with Jack facing out towards the viewer on his side while we catch a glimpse of Ennis's face over Jack's neck as Ennis lies on his back.  Then, many scenes later, after Ennis and Alma have their confrontation in bed (the "no protection" moment) we see the exact opposite composition in the frame.  Alma turns the light out and it's dark, their heads are pointing towards the left edge of the frame and Alma is facing out towards the audience on her side while we see a glimpse of Ennis's face over her neck as lies on his back.

Precisely, Amanda! I also love the fact that in the second tent scene Jack's and Ennis' heads point to the left edge of the screen. Everything seems to have changed since their first vigorous love making: instead of it being friggin' cold the camp fire is burning brightly and Jack takes his shirt off. He doesn't have to order Ennis into the tent. Ennis comes all by himself. Their heads are where there feet had been the other night and Jack gets on top of Ennis. Actually, I believe the thing with their heads pointing to the other direction suggests that they didn't have a strict distribution of roles as "top" and "bottom" but occasionally switched jobs... This can't be coincidence! Above all, of course, there is the incredible tenderness that distinguishes the second from the first tent scene. It's just magic.

:)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2006, 08:12:38 am »
Interesting details Anke!

But I think that Ennis would have stuck to the dominant role.   Just because Jack rolls over on top of him doesn't mean he was going to let Jack mount him.     He was I think rolling over and letting Jack know that he was ready for love and attention.   An important detail indeed.   

But in my mind, with all of Ennis's hang ups about being thought of as Gay or Queer, he would never allow a guy to do that to him.   Jack however, we see that in the first tent scene he is very ready and willing to let Ennis take charge.   

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2006, 10:20:51 am »
Interesting details Anke!

But I think that Ennis would have stuck to the dominant role.   Just because Jack rolls over on top of him doesn't mean he was going to let Jack mount him.     He was I think rolling over and letting Jack know that he was ready for love and attention.   An important detail indeed.   

But in my mind, with all of Ennis's hang ups about being thought of as Gay or Queer, he would never allow a guy to do that to him.   Jack however, we see that in the first tent scene he is very ready and willing to let Ennis take charge.   
I totally agree David

Love your many euphemisms: "dominant role", "mount him", "ready for love and attention", "do that to him", "take charge"... Have you been practicing long?  ;D

PS: Just noticed ... today, I've been a BetterMost member for exactly 100 days! (196 posts averaging 1.960 posts per day!)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 02:39:45 pm by Roland »
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline David

« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2006, 10:34:27 am »
 :laugh:   Ha ha ha!   :laugh:

Just being ....ah, politically correct I guess.   This isn't the NC-17 thread you know!!

It amazes me that alot of people assume that Jack is taking the dominant role just because Ennis rolls over.   As we know, a submissive like Jack (pushy bottom,  LOL)
was probably trying to get Ennis to relax so he could show his appreciation for the night before!    ;D

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2006, 10:37:19 am »
Hahaha! Whatever boys. Guess you are the experts here!  ;D  ::) ;)
Just liked the thought that Ennis' surrender was total...

Offline David

« Reply #137 on: May 28, 2006, 10:44:42 am »
Just liked the thought that Ennis' surrender was total...
Oh most definately.  Ennis was surrendering himself to Jack, but on an level of trust and physical need.  I think Ennis felt bad that he ignored Jack all that day while he sorted out what had happened the night before.   He came into the tent almost apologetic.

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #138 on: May 28, 2006, 11:12:41 am »
Oh most definately.  Ennis was surrendering himself to Jack, but on an level of trust and physical need. 

This scene is really amazing. Speaking of surrender: the way Ennis lies there when Jack rolls on top of him, on his back, offering himself... isn't that exactly the gesture of subservience a dog would make??   :)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #139 on: May 28, 2006, 11:25:32 am »
This scene is really amazing. Speaking of surrender: the way Ennis lies there when Jack rolls on top of him, on his back, offering himself... isn't that exactly the gesture of subservience a dog would make??   :)

Anke!!! Do you ever think of yourself as a dog when you do that?  :laugh:
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"