Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476180 times)

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #140 on: May 28, 2006, 11:28:07 am »
Anke!!! Do you ever think of yourself as a dog when you do that?  :laugh:

Lol. No, I don't think so. But, then, it's a matter of instict, right? Guess doggies don't think about it much, either...   ;D ::) :P
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 11:34:04 am by Pipedream »

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #141 on: May 28, 2006, 11:34:00 am »
isn't that exactly the gesture of subservience a dog would make??   :)

Well, a dog will roll onto his back so you can rub his belly, but he is the one who wants to hump your leg!   

:laugh: :laugh:

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #142 on: May 28, 2006, 11:59:13 am »
By the way... are we supposed to think that the Happy Tussle scene is the morning after the 2nd tent scene?  Or is it later in the summer?  Proulx makes it pretty clear that they were making out all the time, all over the place on the mountain after that first tent encounter.  But, is this clear to a movie viewer who might not have read the story?

Oh, as far a the movie is concerned (and using the book as a reference), the "Happy Tussle" scene (when Aguirre watches them through his binoculars) takes place quite awhile after the movie's "2nd Tent Scene." The 2nd time they had sex in the book, it was back in the tent.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #143 on: May 28, 2006, 03:29:38 pm »
Precisely, Amanda! I also love the fact that in the second tent scene Jack's and Ennis' heads point to the left edge of the screen. Everything seems to have changed since their first vigorous love making: instead of it being friggin' cold the camp fire is burning brightly and Jack takes his shirt off. He doesn't have to order Ennis into the tent. Ennis comes all by himself. Their heads are where there feet had been the other night and Jack gets on top of Ennis. Actually, I believe the thing with their heads pointing to the other direction suggests that they didn't have a strict distribution of roles as "top" and "bottom" but occasionally switched jobs... This can't be coincidence! Above all, of course, there is the incredible tenderness that distinguishes the second from the first tent scene. It's just magic.

:)

yeah, even the colors in the scene, from cool blues to warm tones are beautiful contrasts.

As for the "switching" sexual roles, to me, I just don't think there's enough to tell one way or the other. I'm of the mind that Ennis isn't all that conflicted about whether he's queer or not. To me, his conflict is how he fits into society and the dangerous consequences that it entails. so it's possible that he may be willing to be versatile.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2006, 03:52:29 pm »
yeah, even the colors in the scene, from cool blues to warm tones are beautiful contrasts.

As for the "switching" sexual roles, to me, I just don't think there's enough to tell one way or the other. I'm of the mind that Ennis isn't all that conflicted about whether he's queer or not. To me, his conflict is how he fits into society and the dangerous consequences that it entails. so it's possible that he may be willing to be versatile.

Interesting point Nipith!
On the surface, it sure looks like Ennis would be too 'macho' to be the 'bottom' but I like to think that when he was with Jack, there were moments when he would allow himself the vulnerability to be "taken" by Jack  :P.  Simply because he trusted Jack with everything, and especially because Jack was the one person in the world who absolutely loved him for (not despite) his 'queerness'.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2006, 06:40:31 pm »

Hey there, I quite like this idea. 

I also like all this discussion about the differences between the first and second tent scene (head direction, color, temperature, etc.).  In terms of the cold vs. warm problem, I think it's interesting that Jack clearly feels no need to bundle up in three layers (t-shirt, blue shirt and jacket) in the second tent scene as he did in the first.  Barb has suggested that the amount of clothing worn by the characters has a lot to do with how close they're feeling to one another and also has to do with how vulnerable or insecure they feel at any one time.  It's a great contrast in the 2 tent scenes.  Jack is ready to be completely open with Ennis since he's taken his shirt off and just waits for Ennis to come to him and Ennis is feeling a lot more open with Jack in that he's only wearing a shirt (no more heavy outer jacket like he wore in the first tent scene) but he's still so nervous that he's not quite to Jack's level of open-ness yet.  As is the case when they're traveling up and down the mountain... Jack is always at least a step or two ahead of Ennis.  It's cute that in the Happy Tussle they both finally have their shirts off.

Whether or not Jack winds up being on top for the actual intercourse in the second tent scene... what we do get to see is him more or less taking control at least in these moments of foreplay.  Heath has said that he thought of the 2nd tent scene as being vitally important to showing Ennis as being completely vulnerable, which to Heath was a sign of the "freedom" of the mountain summer.  I think this is an interesting idea because in letting himself indulge in this super intimate scene where he lets himself enjoy all the sweetness that Jack is offering up, Ennis really is experiencing a sort of freedom in letting his normal anxieties and inhibitions go.  Yes, I think it's a great idea that he's letting himself enjoy this moment with (as Lucise said) the person who loves him for his 'queerness.'

I like the contrast to the love making styles in the first and second tent scene too... you get the sense that if Jack could always be "in charge" things would always be super sweet and intimate... lots of kissing and cuddling.  He's always wanting to kiss... you can tell he's frustrated by the fact that Ennis wouldn't kiss in the first tent scene, and in the reunion kiss Jack is still trying to reach for Ennis's lips when Ennis is ready to head back to the apartment.  You also get the sense that the cuddling in the motel is like seventh heaven for Jack.  I mean, I think Ennis likes and needs all these things too, but they seem super important to Jack.  This comes across in the idea that the hug in the flashback scene was Jack's favorite memory.  Jack is just adorable.
 :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2006, 06:47:37 pm »
I like the contrast to the love making styles in the first and second tent scene too... you get the sense that if Jack could always be "in charge" things would always be super sweet and intimate... lots of kissing and cuddling.  He's always wanting to kiss... you can tell he's frustrated by the fact that Ennis wouldn't kiss in the first tent scene, and in the reunion kiss Jack is still trying to reach for Ennis's lips when Ennis is ready to head back to the apartment.  You also get the sense that the cuddling in the motel is like seventh heaven for Jack.  I mean, I think Ennis likes and needs all these things too, but they seem super important to Jack.  This comes across in the idea that the hug in the flashback scene was Jack's favorite memory.  Jack is just adorable.

You are just adorable, Amanda!
Nobody can decribe these things as well as you!!!  :-*

Love it!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 06:49:56 pm by Pipedream »

Offline David

« Reply #147 on: May 28, 2006, 06:47:55 pm »
  You also get the sense that the cuddling in the motel is like seventh heaven for Jack. 
 ....... Jack is just adorable.

I couldn't agree more!
   ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2006, 10:26:36 pm »
You are just adorable, Amanda!
Nobody can decribe these things as well as you!!!  :-*

Love it!

Aww!  Thanks Pipedream!

And David too!
 :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 10:30:05 pm by atz75 »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #149 on: May 28, 2006, 11:25:12 pm »
Heya again,

By the way David, what's the deal with the cute photo you included in your post?  I've seen other people post it here and there.  Is it a "real" photo from some promo shoot, or is it photo-shopped together?  I've always wondered where it came from.