Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476126 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #160 on: June 04, 2006, 11:27:00 pm »
OK, new detail...

I love that the mail slot at the post office that Ennis uses to mail his "you bet" postcard isn't just a "postal services" slot... it's a "special postal services" slot."
 :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #161 on: June 05, 2006, 12:18:31 am »
this isn't an especially loveable detail, but it would certainly meet the criteria for 'irrelevant but interesting'  :P

a previous poster mentioned that Jack undoes his belt AND his buttons with only his left hand (first night in tent), and noted that Ennis clearly and audibly unzips. 

it's about those buttons/zips!  one of the style note differences between the boys is Jack's religious wearing of dark Wranglers, the rodeo cowboy's jeans of choice.  Ennis, on the other hand, is always seen in faded Levi's 501's.  Culturally correct, and an opportunity to do the dark/light thing again - HOWEVER, Wranglers almost all have ZIPS, whereas Levi's have buttons.   :o ;D :o.

I'd be tickled to hear any theories on this reversal of apparel closure systems. 

w

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #162 on: June 05, 2006, 01:19:42 am »
POst it on "goofs" on IMDb under..."reversal of equipment"...but: you said, Jack always wears Wranglers, and Ennis Levis (501s). Thus they must not be REAL Wrangkers and REAL 501s. On second thought, I think this falls under the catergory of "very amusng mistake," not "reversal of equipmernt."

Something that has always bothered me about that introduction: most guys, after soul kissing a loved one for five minutes...have hard-ons...sorry, but just the facts, Ma'm.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 01:32:22 am by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #163 on: June 05, 2006, 01:29:33 am »
Julie,

I posted mainly about the neat adherance to the two different brands of jeans, as per the different subcultures the boys 'belong' to, but thought the closure reversal a bit of fun to add to it. 

Incidentally, I've owned many pairs of Wranglers and many pairs of 501's over the years.  all the W's have zips and all the 501's have buttons.  Might be different in the States a'course  ;).

As you were

W

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #164 on: June 05, 2006, 01:34:24 am »
wolf: I thought i made it clear that I uhnderstood your post...right jeans, wrong closures--right?

What about the hard-ons? (added to my previous post later)
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #165 on: June 05, 2006, 06:52:08 am »
Wolf, I believe that zippers existed on levi's jeans as well as other brands - so I don't believe this to be a mistake, but buttons on wranglers - definitively never heard of that!

Sorry Julie. I can't discuss your point cause I don't understand what argument you are advancing.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #166 on: June 05, 2006, 12:25:14 pm »
Something that has always bothered me about that introduction: most guys, after soul kissing a loved one for five minutes...have hard-ons...sorry, but just the facts, Ma'm.

yeah, we actually had a few discussion about that on the old CT. to me that's why we see Ennis sticking his fist in to this pocket, and Jack stands a bit hunched over, to lessen the visibility of their ... um ... "excitement".
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #167 on: June 05, 2006, 12:40:23 pm »
yeah, we actually had a few discussion about that on the old CT. to me that's why we see Ennis sticking his fist in to this pocket, and Jack stands a bit hunched over, to lessen the visibility of their ... um ... "excitement".

Exactly!  :)
Plus, as Ennis introduced Jack to Alma, he didn't actually face her. 
 After Jack talked of marrying the prettiest lil gal, he lowered his head as if to catch his breath and steady himself. 
The boys just couldn't wait to get the hell out of there .. :P
I love that scene!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #168 on: June 05, 2006, 04:33:10 pm »
Well, fortunately, Roland, everyone else seems to have gotten my point...

I would like to carry this "hard-ons" thing a bit further--this is just a querry, based on my own  experience.

The other day, I was sitting in psychology group, thinking about Brokeback Mountain, and not psychology group, as usual--but my eyes happened to rest on Diana Levy. Diana is aboiut 20 years yonger than I, very attractive in a quiet sort of way, dark hair to her shouolders, brown eyes, gentle lines, (about 2) in her face, and a soft voice. We are good friends..

I startred thinking (I am absolutely stright. and have been for 71 years), that if I had to--because i had wound up in a movie somehow, and so had she--kiss her repeatedly for as long as half an hour (allowing times for re-takes), her body pressed against mine--that I would be pretty hot and bothered by the end of that time! Just the closenewss of an attractive human being, of either sex, for so long as time...

I ran this by my ex-husband (who forgot to move out after we got divorced ), and he said "How old am I" and i said "sbout 25." (he is also straight). he laughrd, "I would have come twice during that time, and be ready for more."
"Gosh,--you unberstand, this is another man, a friend, attrative--but you're not gay, not in love".
"At 25, I couold come, walking down the street from my jeans rubbing against my stone-hard dick, so if I had to kiss an attractiver person for as prolongued period of time--of either sex--I'm SURE I would get a hard-on."
 In fact, he said, it wouold take him, at 25, about 5 minutes...

I'm suggesting that the problem may have been more real than we casually think...

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #169 on: June 05, 2006, 04:40:56 pm »
Ok, Julie, I don't know about everyone else, but now I'm hot and bothered... ;D
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.