Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476120 times)

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #510 on: October 05, 2008, 12:02:38 am »
Yes. They shared their deep feelings about Brokeback after years of not seeing eachother and it was good that they've finally got the chance to tell how they felt about being together again.

And the TS2 is a very BEAUTIFUL scene. :)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #511 on: November 25, 2008, 02:11:33 pm »
I just came upon Brokeback on cable this morning, and I ended up watching it for the first time since Heath passed.  It was wonderful to be at home with Ennis and Jack again, and I must be getting better about grieving, because I was able to watch most of it without too many sharp pangs when I remembered that Heath is gone.

But here's a subtle detail that I never thought I would notice, and that even Ang himself never anticipated.  Watching the credits for Heath's name, I noticed that it appears for the first time just as Willie Nelson is singing "Every time I think of him, I just break down and cry."  Later, when the full list of credits appears, his name disappears from the screen just as Willie sings "I stole away and cried."

Will the sadness ever end?  I don't see how it ever really can.  :'(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #512 on: November 25, 2008, 02:46:08 pm »
I just came upon Brokeback on cable this morning, and I ended up watching it for the first time since Heath passed.  It was wonderful to be at home with Ennis and Jack again, and I must be getting better about grieving, because I was able to watch most of it without too many sharp pangs when I remembered that Heath is gone.

But here's a subtle detail that I never thought I would notice, and that even Ang himself never anticipated.  Watching the credits for Heath's name, I noticed that it appears for the first time just as Willie Nelson is singing "Every time I think of him, I just break down and cry."  Later, when the full list of credits appears, his name disappears from the screen just as Willie sings "I stole away and cried."

Will the sadness ever end?  I don't see how it ever really can.  :'(

Awwww... Meryl, that's great.  I certainly never noticed those details about the music and the credits before.  I'm glad to hear that watching BBM felt like coming home for you.  That's really nice.

By the way, what channel was it on?  Was it a nice, unedited version?

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #513 on: November 25, 2008, 03:15:16 pm »
Awwww... Meryl, that's great.  I certainly never noticed those details about the music and the credits before.  I'm glad to hear that watching BBM felt like coming home for you.  That's really nice.

By the way, what channel was it on?  Was it a nice, unedited version?

Thanks, Amanda.  It was on Cinemax, so it was unedited.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #514 on: November 25, 2008, 07:53:05 pm »

I tear up every time I even see someone talking about him.  You gave me tears.   I did notice those things.  It
was after wathing the movie I was sitting in my seat, and when I got to that part is when I first started to cry....Of course
I was thinking of Jack then.

Beautiful mind

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #515 on: November 25, 2008, 11:44:13 pm »
((((((((Janice))))))))

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #516 on: February 23, 2009, 11:00:51 pm »
I'm going to take the liberty to post a lovable subtle detail observation that came about during this past Sunday's chat/viewing of BBM.  I give full credit to Lee for this one.

In the early bar scene with J & E, Lee noticed an interesting harmony between what J & E say regarding numbers.  According to the screenplay, Jack says the lightning storm killed 42 sheep and Ennis talks about 43 miles.  But, during the viewing I thought we heard Jack say 43 sheep which is echoed in Ennis's 43 miles more precisely.  Darn... now I may have to rewatch that scene to check and see if they changed the dialogue there ever so slightly from what's written in the screenplay.

Either way... the consecutive numbers or the identical numbers... there's a poetry there to the use of numbers (something we've noticed in other instances regarding numbers in BBM in past discussions).

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #517 on: February 24, 2009, 10:08:01 am »

In the early bar scene with J & E, Lee noticed an interesting harmony between what J & E say regarding numbers.  According to the screenplay, Jack says the lightning storm killed 42 sheep and Ennis talks about 43 miles.  But, during the viewing I thought we heard Jack say 43 sheep which is echoed in Ennis's 43 miles more precisely.  Darn... now I may have to rewatch that scene to check and see if they changed the dialogue there ever so slightly from what's written in the screenplay.

Either way... the consecutive numbers or the identical numbers... there's a poetry there to the use of numbers (something we've noticed in other instances regarding numbers in BBM in past discussions)
I reviewed that scene, friend, and you and the screenplay were right. Jack says 42 sheep, and Ennis says 43 miles on his parents' last drive. However, that scene is very interesting for the interplay between odd and even numbers. I'm going to watch it again soon.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #518 on: February 24, 2009, 12:04:53 pm »
Have we ever analyzed all the mentions of numbers to see if there's some pattern?

Pair a deuces
42 sheep
43 miles
$24 in a coffee can
40 winks
Four f'in years
17 (on the mailbox)
19 (can do what you want)

And so on. Lot of fours, but otherwise I don't see any obvious pattern. It would be interesting if something emerged, though.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #519 on: February 24, 2009, 12:21:58 pm »
Expanding your list (new items bolded):

Pair a deuces
neither of them was 20
42 sheep
43 miles
$24 in a coffee can
40 winks
coming thru on the 24th
Four f'in years
2 girls
8 months old
17 (on the mailbox)
19 (can do what you want)
One's enough (postcard from L.Higgin's shop)

Have we ever analyzed all the mentions of numbers to see if there's some pattern?

And so on. Lot of fours, but otherwise I don't see any obvious pattern. It would be interesting if something emerged, though.

We have talked about the twos, the 8 and the 17. Lots and lots of twos on the short story.
About the 17 (recapitulating from back then): the 17 on the mailbox, 17 letters in Brokeback Mountain, 17 mountain ranges listed by Proulx in the short stoy.
The 8: uh, it's so long ago. They miss August twice, the eighth month. There was more to the eight, but I don't remember right now.

But we never found (searched for?) an overall pattern of all the numbers.
There are definitively a lot of numbers, especially measured by the short length of the story.

And you're right: the four shows up very often.