Author Topic: lovable subtle details  (Read 476163 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: lovable subtle details
« Reply #190 on: June 10, 2006, 09:20:19 pm »
Yup, the Twists are doing just fine.  But I'm sure Jack would give up every dime to live with Ennis in a shack.   :-\

LOL, you read my mind David!  I was just about to post something similar.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #191 on: June 10, 2006, 09:25:05 pm »
Yup, the Twists are doing just fine.  But I'm sure Jack would give up every dime to live with Ennis in a shack.   :-\

NO DOUBT!  And so would I, for that matter.  But do people really think that Jack and Ennis could have lived and worked alongside hateful Father Twist?  Sorry if that's OT... maybe it belongs in a different thread.  Just a thought.
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #192 on: June 10, 2006, 09:32:37 pm »
Well,  if they could have built a cabin on the far side of the ranch it might have worked for a while.     But I'd bet that the Old man would continue to belittle Jack.  And when Ennis saw the way Jack was being treated, He'd want to punch the old man!   LOL.

Too bad Jack didn't outlive his father.    Then I could easily see he and Ennis moving up to the ranch with his Mom.     She'd bake them Cherry cake.  Ennis would be so polite.  She'd dote after the boys.      At least that's how my Happy BBM ending would be.   

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #193 on: June 10, 2006, 09:43:10 pm »
Excellent!  Thanks for the chuckle.  The Widow Twist could have started the first PFLAG chapter in Wyoming, and Bobby could have had the first "I love my gay dads" t-shirt in the Great American West.  Now what if Bobby and Jenny took a fancy to each other over summer vacation?
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #194 on: June 10, 2006, 10:03:42 pm »
NO DOUBT!  And so would I, for that matter.  But do people really think that Jack and Ennis could have lived and worked alongside hateful Father Twist?  Sorry if that's OT... maybe it belongs in a different thread.  Just a thought.

Welcome to BetterMost alec716, grab a cup of coffee and some cherry cake!  I've always thought the issue of Ennis living on the ranch alongside John Twist is a really interesting question.  It just so happens that there's already a thread on this subject that used to be quite active.  Here's the link... and I bumped it in the Open Forum board here at BetterMost.  It's called Ennis and Old Man Twist.
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=1922.0

Thinking about the "what if" question about Ennis and Jack living together at Lightning Flat... I just love the detail that latjoreme once pointed out about the extra building on the property that we see when Ennis pulls up to the house.  It seems like a sign that this could have been the cabin where Jack and Ennis could have built a life... But the building is falling apart, un-used.  A sign of a major missed opportunity.  So, literally, Jack was wanting to live in a shack with Ennis.  Clearly they would have fixed the cabin up a bit, but nothing on Lightning Flat would probably ever be as cushy as Jack's Texas house.  I've also always wondered whether or not Ennis could have pulled himself out of poverty a bit if he teamed up with Jack to go into business on a ranch.  He would at least have been his own boss.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #195 on: June 10, 2006, 11:14:20 pm »
Excellent!  Thanks for the chuckle.  The Widow Twist could have started the first PFLAG chapter in Wyoming, and Bobby could have had the first "I love my gay dads" t-shirt in the Great American West.  Now what if Bobby and Jenny took a fancy to each other over summer vacation?

And if had not been so tired and had 3 St. Bernards bugging me for a walk when I accidentally pressed "post," I would have added "oh, that already happened on Will & Grace..."  I guess the lateness makes it lame, but I tried.... MUST go to sleep now! 

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #196 on: June 12, 2006, 08:31:49 pm »
here's the subtle detail I love today ...

that that huge combine machine Jack helps young Bobby to drive is, as indicated by the logo above the front grille,

"Versatile."

:o

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #197 on: June 13, 2006, 01:24:15 am »
I always plan to pay more attention to  details, esp. to details I read about and haven't notived before. Meanwhile I succeed for the first part of the movie, but then I get lost again. Esp. the last third is still too devastating to be able to recognize anything beyond the obvious through the tears.

Me too, Penth. One thing I have noticed is animal skulls on the wall when Jack and Ennis are together -- there's one in the bar where they're having beers and (maybe?) one somewhere else. So I always think, maybe that skull means something; I'd better watch and see if I spot any other skulls. I never do, but I'm not sure if that's because they don't exist or because I get too caught up in the story and forget to look. Anybody else see any?

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #198 on: June 13, 2006, 01:53:36 am »
maggiesmom, you got it.  Completely.  Mrs. Twist knows that the love of her son's life is in her house.  She wants to keep him there as long as possible so as to keep a piece of her beloved son alive - hence the "You come back and see us" and the grasping at her own throat.  But we know Ennis will never come back - he's seen all he needs to see.  And really, so does she.  That's what so overwhelmingly (in my case, anyway) heartbreaking about this scene.
I like to think that as time went by Ennis returned to Lightning Flat as Jack did at least yearly after his trips with Ennis to help on the old ranch. In Jacks place he may have come to live there after his father passed to help Mrs. Twist as his way of honering Jack and the kindness his mother gave him. Of course he would have Jacks childhood room, the shirts returning to the closet where Jack safley protected them for so many years. This is where Ennis would have felt closest to Jack, where he grew up.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #199 on: June 13, 2006, 02:04:02 am »
Even if he never told her about them, she would know that Jack would never wear a shirt like Ennis'.  His shirts were always solid.  When you watch the other stuff hanging there, there are a couple of coats and solid shirts.  A loving mama would recognize immediately that it wasn't his shirt but another man's, and she'd have already known Jack was gay by her very lovingness and acceptance of him.  Add to that, as you say, his talk of Ennis Del Mar, and she'd have it all put together.
In the camping scene after the reunion Jack IS wearing a plaid shirt under his jacket, but its the only time.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.